Best 20 GB MP3 Player
Jul 3, 2005 at 6:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

-Paolo-

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for something for everyday use on the go.

I was looking at the IPod but then passed on that because they're so damn common.

I'm looking at the IRiver H10, Samsung (something), Creative Zen Touch, and anything else

I want something that has a strong amp that can power any future hi-fi earphones

Jul 3, 2005 at 7:02 AM Post #2 of 40
I'd recommend the iRiver H320 or the Creative Zen Touch.

Jul 3, 2005 at 7:43 AM Post #4 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJGeorgeT
Rio Karma = audiophile sound

Not really, but it should be added to the list.

Jul 3, 2005 at 7:59 AM Post #6 of 40
Right now there really is not a 20GB player that would be comsidered the "best" by everyone here. You will probably get as many answers as there are people that come to this topic, it is really just about the features that you would want/need in a player.

IMO probably one of the most important question when picking a player is how you would want to navigate through all of you music. Do you prefer File-tree browsing (e.g. like looking in windows explorer) or do you prefer tagged browsing (e.g. as you would search for music through iTunes)

Second, what sort of extra features do you need. Like do you need recording abilities, an FM radio, a color screen.

Also do you requre a very small player. I have played around with several players and they come in all shapes a sizes. Such as the Zen players (Xtra and Touch) are relitivly large players, wheras compared to the Ipod or some of Sony's player are very much smaller.

And finally sound quility. You will find this is much of a mixed bag. None of the player are what would be considered "audiophile" quility. Most people will tell you that the Rio Karma sounds the best. I personally have never listened to the Karma, but I have heard Iriver's H-120 (the H-320 will sound almost identical), the Zen touch ( the Zen Xtra should be similar), and a 4G Ipod. I have had my H-120 for about 6 months now and I think it sounds awesome. I has a relitivly neutral presentation that I prefer. I was not ver impressed with either the Ipod or the Zen Touch. The Ipod sounded good, but the bass was a little to recessed for my taste, and the Zen Touch seemed to really strain to power my HD-280's which made it sound very tinney.

There really are just so many players out there now that it is really hard to recommend one to you without knowing what you would like to have in a player.

Jul 3, 2005 at 8:54 AM Post #7 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by scorpian007
I'd recommend the iRiver H320 or the Creative Zen Touch.

Is the zen touch more powerful than the zen micro? Or is it also a 7mw output

Jul 3, 2005 at 11:50 AM Post #9 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by swatx
iaudio x5?

eek.gif
please google for it or go on the cowon site.

Here's a nice review: http://www.iaudiophile.net/content.php?review.24

Jul 4, 2005 at 12:37 AM Post #10 of 40
The Sony NW-HD3 and NW-HD5 are nice players if you can deal with SonicStage and some quirks (HD5 only)...they get great battery life, and are smaller than all the other players mentioned (not sure about the X5).

Just thought I'd point them out, I like my HD3 a lot, with a "W" eq and 256k A3+ tracks it sounds great.

Jul 4, 2005 at 5:22 AM Post #13 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Otophonus
Also Rio Karma =poor hard drive =crapp out in few months.
orphsmile.gif

Do you even HAVE a karma? My Karma hasn't locked up ever and its a good half year old. If you've ever been to Riovolution.com there are alot of healthy karmas out there.

Jul 4, 2005 at 5:49 AM Post #14 of 40
Rio Karma is a excellent player at its price despite it has some harddrive and software glitch. I've heard that the glitches can be fixed or minimized, atleast.
It also has the beefiest hp output.
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus
Is the zen touch more powerful than the zen micro? Or is it also a 7mw output

Zen touch outputs 20mw@32ohms per channel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back