Best $150 IEMs for Bassheads?
May 10, 2015 at 9:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

SativaSam

New Head-Fier
I only listen to EDM and I am having the hardest time imagineable trying to find the right IEM for me. I tried the RHA MA750s and did not like them. Found the bass to be very lacking and honestly didn't sound much better than my $25 Sennheiser CX300-II?

I have been recommended several that I will list below but am unsure which is the best option for an EDM basshead.

Shure SE215 Limited Edition
Audio Technica ATH-M50X (yes I know these aren't IEMs)
Sony XB90EX
JVC FX750s (a little out of my budget honestly, but if they're really good bass then I'll consider it)

May 10, 2015 at 11:37 PM Post #6 of 43
Cx300 ii were very bassy to me, and I can't speak for your other listings, but I can say that you won't like the se215 of you want more bass. Their sound will have you hearing the bass more than feeling it, and they need an upgrade cable for better sub bass and bass speed. The Sony xb90 should provide a lot of bass for you. I haven't particularly tried that model, but I have tried one of the lower end versions of them, which delivered absolutely pounding bass. Heads up though, because Sony is the kind of company where you're SOL if they break down the road.

May 11, 2015 at 12:49 AM Post #7 of 43
I've heard the JVC 850s which I understand to be similar to the 750s in the bass frequencies, bass is nice and deep- some people have issues with the treble character in proportion to the bass, depending on the FX model#.

Been doing similar research recently (mostly in the IEM Bass Club thread) and found a few interesting looking ones you might add to list in addition to the XB90:

JVC FXZ series (100/200), they fit in your budget- i haven't heard  but they are basically the well liked dual driver FXT-90 (i have 90s, work pretty well with EDM imo) with an additional "woofer" driver for bass.

Hisound Woodduo 2 - seems well regarded, friendly price.

Pioneer CX8/9 - Luckbad reviewed these over on the IEM Bass thread http://www.head-fi.org/products/pioneer-se-cx8-t-headphone-bright-copper/reviews/13060

Audio-Technica CKS series. (like cks1000)

*also forgot Audio Technica  IM70 and IM50- 70 is supposed to be closer to balanced than the 50 which supposedly has the bigger bass, and is purportedly close in overal sig to the M50s.

May 11, 2015 at 1:24 AM Post #8 of 43
Sony XBA-4. A bit more but definitely much better option. A lot quicker bass decay and just great bounciness and liveliness to electronic synths. 

May 11, 2015 at 7:14 PM Post #9 of 43
  I only listen to EDM and I am having the hardest time imagineable trying to find the right IEM for me. I tried the RHA MA750s and did not like them. Found the bass to be very lacking and honestly didn't sound much better than my $25 Sennheiser CX300-II?

I have been recommended several that I will list below but am unsure which is the best option for an EDM basshead.

Shure SE215 Limited Edition
Audio Technica ATH-M50X (yes I know these aren't IEMs)
Sony XB90EX
JVC FX750s (a little out of my budget honestly, but if they're really good bass then I'll consider it)

For EDM and Hip Hop, I use Vsonic GR02 Bass Edition. This is the low budget one in Vsonic. The higher quality is Vsonic GR07 Bass Edition. 

Both are good but GR07 is much better. 

May 11, 2015 at 7:47 PM Post #10 of 43
For EDM and Hip Hop, I use Vsonic GR02 Bass Edition. This is the low budget one in Vsonic. The higher quality is Vsonic GR07 Bass Edition. 

Both are good but GR07 is much better. 

The gr07 bass edition prob have less bass then the shure 215

May 11, 2015 at 8:05 PM Post #11 of 43
wooduo2 have good bass but other than that, i thought they were terrible.  sounded veiled and stuffy. 

i tpeos h200 now that have really clean sound and quick clean bass.  i listen to lots of bass heavy music and they do great.  you can't really find them anymore but the t peos alltone 200 i've heard are just as good if not better and can be had around $150.

i've heard se215 has good bass and great isolation, but not so good in other departments. 

May 11, 2015 at 10:26 PM Post #13 of 43
So do the SE215 Bass editions sound good for EDM or not?

That's a very subjective question. I find my AKG K612 Pro very enjoyable for listening to EDM. Others would find them bass light. And I'm an SQ basshead. So some of the heavier bassy headphones that SPL bassheads like, I think have terrible bass.

So it really is hard for anyone to answer this for you. All people can really tell you is less or more bass than something else :)

May 11, 2015 at 10:31 PM Post #14 of 43
That's a very subjective question. I find my AKG K612 Pro very enjoyable for listening to EDM. Others would find them bass light. And I'm an SQ basshead. So some of the heavier bassy headphones that SPL bassheads like, I think have terrible bass.

So it really is hard for anyone to answer this for you. All people can really tell you is less or more bass than something else
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm just getting really frustrated because I have done hours upon hours of research and still can't select a pair. Everyone raved to me about how great the RHA MA750s sound for EDM and I got them and immediately disagreed. Tried all the diff. tips and everything and the bass was just so lacking. My CX300-IIs sounded better overall in my opinion and that's just unacceptable as they cost 90-95$ less than the RHAs.

I want the JVC FX750s but they're out of my price range. I hear the SE215 Limited Editions don't have as much bass as people claim. I hear the GR07 Bass editions have the same problem. I hear the XB90s are literally bass and nothing else. I love as much bass as possible but not to the point where everything else sounds like ****.

May 11, 2015 at 10:40 PM Post #15 of 43
I'm just getting really frustrated because I have done hours upon hours of research and still can't select a pair. Everyone raved to me about how great the RHA MA750s sound for EDM and I got them and immediately disagreed. Tried all the diff. tips and everything and the bass was just so lacking. My CX300-IIs sounded better overall in my opinion and that's just unacceptable as they cost 90-95$ less than the RHAs.

It's such a personal thing. Everyone has different tastes in how much bass is enough. And for instance, I like a bit of sub bass emphasis, but I don't like upper midbass emphasis at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back