Beresford TC-7520 DAC
Sep 20, 2009 at 10:34 AM Post #61 of 73
I found a nice TC7510+ picture without the chips identities scratched out. Here they are, not impressive honestly.

It uses the CS8414 Digital Receiver, CS website says reduces jitter to about 200 ps, that's if it's implemented well. Lavry wrote very nice postings in his sponsor forum that explains the impact of jitter, 200 ps maybe a lot when there are other alternatives reducing it to 50 or altogether like the Sabre DAC.

The DAC is the Burr Brown PCM1716E. It's a regular sigma delta 24/96 capable DAC. Can read up on more from DIY forums, every posting I read said, nothing interesting or spectacular.

The USB interface is the PCM2902. Seems to be USB input with SPDIF output, but I am not sure. I know the PCM2707 that other DACs use for usb input are converted via I2S instead. Guessing they do it this way for a reason, instead of using the 2902.

I wish I knew what OpAmp it used for the headphone output. Here is a picture of one of the 2 used. Maybe someone can help you out. But looks to me you can switch them out for something else.

opamp.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Sep 20, 2009 at 12:30 PM Post #62 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by LingLing1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are no dual optical inputs on the 7520... two coax, one USB, one optical.

I have the 7510 I think, as it's being used for comparison in the thread.

Sep 20, 2009 at 12:31 PM Post #63 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apart from say, the Quad CDP, which has 3 and is less than £1000?

That's a CD player though, like the 840c. Not many DACs have dual optical, usually co-ax.

Sep 20, 2009 at 4:17 PM Post #64 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by SemiAudiophile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i believe everyone deserves a second chance. we are all human beings after all. yes what he did was wrong, but a good product should not go to waste.

also, it may seem like many new posters are shilling. but please let the mods do their job and identify the shillers. i have belief in our judicial system; "innocent until proven guilty".

I too believe in second chance, but only when the accused with proven guilt comes forth and makes a candid, open apology for his wrongdoings. Since Mr. Beresford (or Herandu, or whatever he goes by these days) is banned from this forum, it is understandable he is unable to do so here at head-fi. Has his site ever included an official word from him detailing his clearly unethical practices and promising never to do it again? Unless I have missed it, there is no such effort from him whatsoever so far. Without his condemnation of his own past deeds, how are we supposed to know if he will continue to use shilling as his main business tactic?

Innocent until proven guilty doesn't necessarily mean everyone is automatically exempt from suspicion, especially when past record shows there is a very good reason to do otherwise. There is a difference between labeling someone an unmistakable troll or shill and seeing everything with a reasonable amount of doubt.

No, I have never heard this dac, but I don't doubt it can sound good. There are tons other taiwanese audio equipments that have gained some great reputation - MHDT, valab, audio-gd, etc. There is nothing wrong with liking a cmoy either, I enjoyed it a lot with my HD580 back in the days
smily_headphones1.gif
I do like the idea of having multiple inputs/outputs though.

Sep 20, 2009 at 4:38 PM Post #65 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruffle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found a nice TC7510+ picture without the chips identities scratched out. Here they are, not impressive honestly.

It uses the CS8414 Digital Receiver, CS website says reduces jitter to about 200 ps, that's if it's implemented well. Lavry wrote very nice postings in his sponsor forum that explains the impact of jitter, 200 ps maybe a lot when there are other alternatives reducing it to 50 or altogether like the Sabre DAC.

The DAC is the Burr Brown PCM1716E. It's a regular sigma delta 24/96 capable DAC. Can read up on more from DIY forums, every posting I read said, nothing interesting or spectacular.

The USB interface is the PCM2902. Seems to be USB input with SPDIF output, but I am not sure. I know the PCM2707 that other DACs use for usb input are converted via I2S instead. Guessing they do it this way for a reason, instead of using the 2902.

I wish I knew what OpAmp it used for the headphone output. Here is a picture of one of the 2 used. Maybe someone can help you out. But looks to me you can switch them out for something else.

opamp.jpg

Judging from the stock opamps in my TC7520 and also by the lettering on the opamp, I would guess that it's an NE5532. Which to me seems like a cheap attempt at garnering Benchmark DAC1 comparisons.

Sep 20, 2009 at 8:51 PM Post #66 of 73
Was Mr B using different identities, I remember the original threads and actually seeing him post here under his own name. Is that what all the fuss is about, not something to do with his actual products?

I can't help but remember the Grado Amp that someone opened up, isn't that more immoral, aside from covering the chip codes - which you boffins easily see through, his products can be easily inspected.

Sorry to go on but this is much more interesting than the usual 'what headphones shall I buy' threads.
wink.gif

Sep 20, 2009 at 8:59 PM Post #67 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by stvn758 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Was Mr B using different identities, I remember the original threads and actually seeing him post here under his own name....

Here is what happened--of course, you can come to your own conclusions, answer your own question(s) about it.

Long story short, Stanely Beresford was banned from Head-Fi for the conclusions I came to, based on the information in the above link (among other things). He didn't take kindly to it, and (on another forum) claimed that he did nothing wrong here, and (if I recall correctly) that we had no proof. Several from that forum came to Head-Fi (believing Stanley Beresford) to show their support for him, and to suggest he was being treated unfairly, and to complain that no proof was posted. In response, I posted the above information, and, not surprisingly (to me), it didn't seem there was much to argue at that point--to the best of my knowledge, he never posted any rebuttal of the information I posted (I don't see how he could).

In addition to all that, prior to that, he was quick to contact me (via PM) with what I think could very reasonably be construed as a threat of legal action by him over something someone posted here that he did not like.

Of course, you can buy from Stan Beresford--that's certainly your prerogative. I'll never do business with him, nor will Head-Fi accept sponsorship or advertising from anyone selling Beresford's products--that's my prerogative.

Sep 1, 2010 at 11:48 PM Post #68 of 73
Just read the review from headfornia. He didn't say any negative stuff about it but he didn't mentioned any good stuff either. To me, that meant he didn't like it. I think he was just being now since Beresford sent him a free dac for the review.

Apr 4, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #69 of 73
Hi Guys!
I could use some help. I bought a second hand  Beresford TC 7520 GATOR dac couple of weeks ago, and yesterday I had a chance to try the USB input. I fed the dac with 16bit/48khz and the sound is so noisy. I do not have problem with my CA Azur 840 C cd-player at all, so I'm pretty sure something is wrong, but I don't know what that could be. Would you give me some help, since I'm not a computer guru:) I use windows 7,
Thanks, for any help!

Apr 5, 2012 at 4:47 AM Post #70 of 73
Can you try a lower sample rate like 16/44.1 and see what happens?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back