Beresford TC-7510 DAC/Headphone Amp.
Jul 16, 2008 at 8:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

stvn758

100+ Head-Fier
Home HIFI

Group test: Audio DACs - AVReview Accessories reviews

After a lot of trawling the net for a headphone amp to make my (don't laugh) CD Megachanger sound better, I stumbled across this. I had completely forgotton about an outboard DAC and read some surprising comments about how massive a sound improvement you can get using one.

I have optical out on the changers and this thing has multiple inputs unlike most headphone amps - Creek seem to be the only ones easily available in the backwater that is the UK.

I have Grado 80's and will probably be buying some HD 650 Senns - I really do miss the sound of my old 600's which I binned after many years mostly because I got sick of the cables breaking - sound in one ear going.
frown.gif

The joy of having 600 CDs at your fingertips cannot be underestimated.
biggrin.gif

Thanks.

Jul 16, 2008 at 8:37 PM Post #2 of 22
The Beresford is a good DAC, and a great value for the price. If you have multiple digital outputs, it also can be used like a line router. The two analog outputs are really handy if you want to feed more than one amp. The headphone section is competant, but it may not blow you away. It can drive my HD650's, but I much prefer using my dedicated HP amp.

Jul 16, 2008 at 8:47 PM Post #3 of 22
I have this dac, it's great! For the price it has to be one of the best. It's a good performer. I don't use it for the headphone amp though, i use my valve amps for that. But for a dac its superb. I compared it to a mates musical fidelity x-dac v8 and he was impressed with the little Beresford. Especially when i payed £90 for it and he payed over £400 for his.

Like i said, for the price its very good!

The Beresford is like a wolf in sheeps clothing!

Jul 16, 2008 at 8:48 PM Post #4 of 22
^Well stated. I am selling my Keces 151 and am back to the Beresford after owning it before. Can't beat it for the money in my opinion.

Jul 16, 2008 at 8:55 PM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by breakfastchef /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Beresford is a good DAC, and a great value for the price. If you have multiple digital outputs, it also can be used like a line router. The two analog outputs are really handy if you want to feed more than one amp. The headphone section is competant, but it may not blow you away. It can drive my HD650's, but I much prefer using my dedicated HP amp.

Would adding a dedicated Headphone amp to the Beresford degrade the sound, too many links in the chain?

The Creek line are well priced.

CREEK OBH11 HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER - available from Superfi UK Visit http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/product_id/4001 for details

Jul 16, 2008 at 9:14 PM Post #8 of 22
Thanks for all the help.
wink.gif

One last concern is the sound quality, on my current integrated amp I have a 'source direct' button which when pressed makes everything sound awful.

I think Bass & Treble controls are frowned upon in audio circles but the sound is much better. Is source direct different from what I will hear through the above mentioned products.

Unless you are all rich I imagine many started off with the integrated mass produced amps with Bass & Treble dials.

Jul 16, 2008 at 9:46 PM Post #9 of 22
Many very expensive, high end amps use bass and treble dials. If they make the sound better to you then of course you should use them.

Jul 16, 2008 at 10:36 PM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jingo Lingo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Many very expensive, high end amps use bass and treble dials. If they make the sound better to you then of course you should use them.

That's interesting, the more expensive the amp the lack of dials they seemed to have.

I found this interesting amp, dedicated headphone amp built in.

A1 Sound - NAD C162 Stereo Preamplifier

Jul 17, 2008 at 12:15 AM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by stvn758 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think Bass & Treble controls are frowned upon in audio circles but the sound is much better. Is source direct different from what I will hear through the above mentioned products.

I do not think folks frown upon bass and treble controls, but many prefer to listen to a recording reproduced as closey to the original intent of the recording artist as possible. Obscene amounts of pumped up bass you might hear at a bar or club is likely above what was intended on the original recording. Learning to listen to music without tone controls takes a bit of time, but also reveals music in a new way. This is not to say that tone controls are of no value. You set tone to your liking. I constantly use tone controls in my truck to combat road noise and the acuostically challenged cabin.

As to the Beresford, I find it opens up the soundstage from my Squeezebox 3. There is more depth to the music, the crispness of the cymbal lasts a tad bit longer and it feels more lie I am sitting a few rows back from the music.

Jul 17, 2008 at 3:17 AM Post #13 of 22
Do you intend to use that product as a headamp? If so there are many other options that are better known and less expensive than that preamp. It may sound wonderful of course, but if you want a dedicated headamp there are probably better options.

Jul 17, 2008 at 6:21 AM Post #14 of 22
You might check out the current thread about receiver's, and the one I started about the NAD. Sometimes the big receiver's/amp's are actually great deals.

Jul 17, 2008 at 10:04 AM Post #15 of 22
I think I'll get the Beresford as the DAC is very good by all accounts and I can plug both my CD players into it which solves a lot of messing about.

I'll give the Headphone Amp side of it a go and if it does sound awful I will probably go for the NAD, more expensive but with the dedicated headphone amp and Bass & Treble I get the best of both worlds.

This place is very informative, glad I found it.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back