Frequency Response at Fs=48-kHz:
+/- 0.1 dB (20 to 20-kHz)
-0.02 dB at 10 Hz
-0.20 dB at 20 kHz
Frequency Response at Fs=96-kHz:
+/- 0.1 dB (20 to 20-kHz)
-0.02 dB at 10-Hz
-0.20 dB at 20-kHz

This is not bright this is utterly flat, where does this reputation come from ?

I am not a benchmark owner.

Things other than the frequency response, such, as I've recently learned, stereo crosstalk, can alter the tonality of a device in a manner that's not obvious when measuring it with just a sweep. I've compared a number of ruler-flat measuring DACs, including the Benchmark, and it very distinctly sounds "brighter". I don't know why this is though. If you have links to a full set of RMAA graphs for one, I'd be interested to see them to see if anything in them can explain what is going on.

Quote:

Originally Posted by btbluesky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So where is this DAC, and link/reference? Curious to what they would come out. And alot of China DAC is using AD1955 + AD1896, not saying their SQ since I have not heard it. But I do not see a chinese DAC with a Wolfson 64x chip. Another one with the same dac chip is Cambridge Audio Sonata CD player.

You don't see many high-end DACs with Wolfson chips either. However, the "sound" of a DAC is not just in the chip. If it were, we'd all just be using $99 DACs, as the chip used would be all that matters. The quality of the audio coming from a DAC is dependant on a number of things: The internal power supply components, as they have to provide the most linear power possible not to distort the tiny voltages in the DA chip and digital input circuits; the set-up of the digital input, and, very importantly, the output stage that amplifies the signal from the DA chip to line level. All these things significantly affect the sound.

If you wish to have a DA chip pissing content though: the Audio-gd DAC in question uses the Burr Brown PCM-1704UK, which is commonly used in high-end DACs, such as the Esoteric D-01 (google that) and many others for its natural reproduction of music, a result of its design (google "R2R DAC"). However, the Analogue Devices AD1852, which you seem to think is inferior, can be found in a lot of high-end audio gear, such as the Meridian G-08, Microomega and Mark Levinson CD players and the Nagra DAC. If you look at the data of the popular WM8740, it actually measures much poorer than the AD1852. Looking at Cambridge, which you mentioned, while many of their CDPs use the WM8740, the 840c uses two AD1955. Again, though, this is hardly the most important part of the design, sound-quality-wise.

Dec 26, 2009 at 2:16 AM Post #17 of 26
Quote:

So where is this DAC, and link/reference? Curious to what they would come out. And alot of China DAC is using AD1955 + AD1896, not saying their SQ since I have not heard it. But I do not see a chinese DAC with a Wolfson 64x chip. Another one with the same dac chip is Cambridge Audio Sonata CD player.

I've made a mistake in my last post, it is Emotiva, a US based company.

The Emotiva Lounge - DAC Poll

Dec 26, 2009 at 10:31 AM Post #18 of 26
Currrawong, pls read the full quote. I fully understand what make or break a DAC. And I was simply refuting Cankin (no disrespect)'s saying "If based on spec only, I'd probably choose the upcoming Emotiva DAC ....AD1955....". Which doesn't make sense to me, coz like you said, it's the whole design, and I was "not saying their SQ since I have not heard it". HOWEVER if its only "Based on spec", then I'd take a late wolfson class-A.

I've been using it for 1 week (TV,AC3 movies...), and to me this DAC is just for HT or anything 24bits and/or >48kHz, and I wouldn't trade my Havana for it. BUT its a great USB 24/96 $400 DAC thats non-sterile sounding w/ good sound stage, and even tones. If you guys have other gears in mind that we can compare, pls post. Beside using a trends audio USB to COAX/toslink into a used highend 24/96 DAC (which still runs like 500-1000), this is one I'm settling for, great price/performance.

BTW, benchmark USB is still over a grand.

Dec 26, 2009 at 2:20 PM Post #19 of 26
Quote:

Currrawong, pls read the full quote. I fully understand what make or break a DAC. And I was simply refuting Cankin (no disrespect)'s saying "If based on spec only, I'd probably choose the upcoming Emotiva DAC ....AD1955....". Which doesn't make sense to me, coz like you said, it's the whole design, and I was "not saying their SQ since I have not heard it". HOWEVER if its only "Based on spec", then I'd take a late wolfson class-A.

I've been using it for 1 week (TV,AC3 movies...), and to me this DAC is just for HT or anything 24bits and/or >48kHz, and I wouldn't trade my Havana for it. BUT its a great USB 24/96 $400 DAC thats non-sterile sounding w/ good sound stage, and even tones. If you guys have other gears in mind that we can compare, pls post. Beside using a trends audio USB to COAX/toslink into a used highend 24/96 DAC (which still runs like 500-1000), this is one I'm settling for, great price/performance.

BTW, benchmark USB is still over a grand.

I should have made it clearly that, Discrete output stage is the most important out of those specs mentioned.

and I thought WM8741 is the current Wolfson flagship, not the WM8716??

BTW, I'd not spend my money on Breseford product for some reasons.

Dec 27, 2009 at 6:09 AM Post #20 of 26
You are right Cankin, the 8741 is the flagship, what about the 8742?
So curious, what is the reason for you not liking their product? And is there another USB DAC w/ 8741 around the same price range? I'm just in the process of getting a budget USB 24/96 dac, and would love to get some other candidate to do a showdown...

Dec 27, 2009 at 1:23 PM Post #21 of 26
I believe WM8742 is the strip down version of WM8741, see here

and around that price range, http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/gam...thread-430793/ is a strong contender and also Headamp Pico DAC which uses WM8740. Both of these are unsampling which I personally prefered.

There are not many 24/96 USB DAC because special driver is usually needed, for example EM-U 0202 USB, 0404 USB. Benchmark DAC1 is the only I know that doesn't need special driver.

The Stanley Beresford issue was a mess, see here:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/hat...ms-but-361727/

and google for many other threads.

Jan 16, 2010 at 1:16 AM Post #22 of 26
How is the headphone amp of the TC-7520SE Caiman?

Im locking for an AMP for my Sennheiser HD650 and found the Lake People G93...but is the TC-7520SE Caiman good enough?

Jun 19, 2011 at 7:35 AM Post #25 of 26
i realise my post does not help when comparing dac's but i just purchased a caiman 'gatorized'
and my initial impressions are amazing.... 

i wanted to upgrade the sound on my computer and was looking at a new sound card
then after checking/searching head-fi to see what i sould do; i ended up buying an external dac/amp
whilst i did not really know what to expect, it is definately a step up from just using a auzentech forte... my headphones (especially) really appreciate it
overall i think it was a better purchase; than 'upgrading' my sound card

Jun 19, 2011 at 8:04 AM Post #26 of 26

Quote:
How is the headphone amp of the TC-7520SE Caiman?

In my opinion it’s fine for occasional listening, but it’s not a match or substitute for a true stand-alone headphone amp. Of course this depends on your needs and on the type of headphone you’ll use. I didn’t like it very much with AKG K271, AKG K701 and Beyerdynamic DT 990/600 Ω models I own.

For its price tag the DAC is pretty good; I think it would be wiser if it was sold without headphone amp and plug.

Werner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back