Beoplay H6 or Bowers and Wilkins P7, some advise needed !
Oct 8, 2013 at 10:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ruudflohr

New Head-Fier
Hi Guys,

I need a little advise here.

I am about to spend 400 Euro's on a pair of Headphones. I limited the choice to these two models mentioned in the title and I need a little push.
My current Headphone is the Focal Spirit One which I really like but now the time has come to move to another league.
Both Headphones are well made, I like the materials and their design, so I am looking for a Headphone just like those two.

I know how the B&W P5 sounds and the C5, but I don't have the opportunity to audition the Beoplay H6 and I need some guidance.
I like the B&W sound I must admit, but that is personal :)

Do they sound similar, which one is harder to drive (iPhone).
I listen to Dream Theater and stuff, so some attack would be great :) The Focal is quite neutral, but not very exciting when it comes to listening. It reveals plenty of detail but is does not really drag me out of bed.

Can I have your opinion please?
If you really think, I should take another can in consideration, let me know!

Thank you.

Ruud

Mar 14, 2014 at 9:55 PM Post #2 of 4
were you able to make a decision. I went with the P7 but haven't heard the H6. My return period is coming to an end so wanna make sure keeping the p7 will be the right choice. 

Apr 1, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #3 of 4
Hello Ruud,

I just saw this post, though you may have already got your answer.  I was in a similar situation and bought both the B&W P7 and B&O H6.  The two sound quite different from each other.  The P7 is slightly easier to drive.  It has more bass, though some of the instruments become slightly 'hidden' behind it compared to the H6.  The H6 is very very detailed, maybe because there is less bass.  I found the H6 very dissatisfying without a headphone amp though.  I subsequently bought the ADL X1 amp to use with the H6.  This really improved the overall dynamics of the H6.  Initially, I favored the P7, but have come to really enjoy and prefer the H6/X1 combo.  The P7 has more playful well controlled bass tones vs. the super clarity of the mids and high frequencies of the H6.  If you listen to the P7 first and then switched to the H6, you'd say, "hmm, where's the bass?"  If you'd listened to the H6 first and then switched to the P7, you'd say, "hmm, the P7 sounds fairly veiled and what happened to those delicate instruments?"  I still have both but listen to the H6 almost exclusively now because with the amp, it just reveals more well defined detail and with better soundstage.  It seems that the instruments have more breathing room, not that the P7 sounds congested, it's just not as open.  It's a tough call and a personal one in the end.  Good luck with your choice!  -Norm

Originally Posted by ruudflohr /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hi Guys,

I need a little advise here.

I am about to spend 400 Euro's on a pair of Headphones. I limited the choice to these two models mentioned in the title and I need a little push.
My current Headphone is the Focal Spirit One which I really like but now the time has come to move to another league.
Both Headphones are well made, I like the materials and their design, so I am looking for a Headphone just like those two.

I know how the B&W P5 sounds and the C5, but I don't have the opportunity to audition the Beoplay H6 and I need some guidance.
I like the B&W sound I must admit, but that is personal :)

Do they sound similar, which one is harder to drive (iPhone).
I listen to Dream Theater and stuff, so some attack would be great :) The Focal is quite neutral, but not very exciting when it comes to listening. It reveals plenty of detail but is does not really drag me out of bed.

Can I have your opinion please?
If you really think, I should take another can in consideration, let me know!

Thank you.

Ruud

Users who are viewing this thread

Back