Beoplay EX impressions thread
Apr 22, 2022 at 2:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

m4rkw

100+ Head-Fier
I just bought the Sony WF-1000XM4 and am very happy with them but a little nagging voice is telling me i maybe should have waited. Haven't seen any decent reviews yet, really curious how good the ANC is.

Anyone got their hands on these for review yet?

Apr 29, 2022 at 6:36 AM Post #2 of 37
I'm also very interested, but more with regards to how they compare to the H95. I tried them for a while and absolutely loved the sound (best I've ever heard), but couldn't keep them because they would hurt my ears (physically) after wearing them for a while.

May 3, 2022 at 10:51 AM Post #3 of 37
same here, i am really interested in these. i am happy with the xm4 + final audio typ e tips. but the ex sounds competitive.

however, ldac has almost 3x higher bit rate than aptx adaptive. much lower latency. i am curious about this comparison as well.

May 4, 2022 at 6:47 AM Post #4 of 37
Just added a pair of Beoplay EX to my TWS arsenal, which currently consist of wm1000xm4/Beoplay EQ/PI7. Only did some light listening on the EX but my preliminary impression is that EX is louder than the EQ out of the box, which is much needed. Bass is definitely more pronounced. ANC very slightly better than EQ but no where close to the xm4. EX is more comfortable (slightly) than both xm4 and EQ.

Need to listen to all of them for a lot more time to comment in more details. But here for couple of pictures (sans PI7 which I mothballed in my drawer....) to wet your appetite....

case closed-sml.png
case open-sml.png
buds-sml.png

May 4, 2022 at 6:54 AM Post #5 of 37
Just added a pair of Beoplay EX to my TWS arsenal, which currently consist of wm1000xm4/Beoplay EQ/PI7. Only did some light listening on the EX but my preliminary impression is that EX is louder than the EQ out of the box, which is much needed. Bass is definitely more pronounced. ANC very slightly better than EQ but no where close to the xm4. EX is more comfortable (slightly) than both xm4 and EQ.

Need to listen to all of them for a lot more time to comment in more details. But here for couple of pictures (sans PI7 which I mothballed in my drawer....) to wet your appetite....

case closed-sml.pngcase open-sml.pngbuds-sml.png
great pictures and thank you for the first inside.

your first thought goes along with the first youtube reviews.

i am curious what you are going to say after a couple of days with the EX.

May 30, 2022 at 11:21 AM Post #6 of 37

case closed-sml.pngcase open-sml.pngbuds-sml.png
any updates?

May 31, 2022 at 7:47 AM Post #8 of 37
any updates?
Been using the EX for the past few weeks on a daily basis. The EX has quickly become my go to set and with me most of the time. The volume is loud enough to compensate the what the ANC cannot filter out without affecting my listening experience. The more that I listen to the EX, the more I am drawn to it. I like the SQ on the EX more than the XM4, and the touch control on the EX is way more intuitive than the Sony ones. Not to mention the EX is a lot more comfortable than the XM4.

So in terms of SQ, my preference will be:
PI7>EX>EQ~XM4
EQ and XM4 are equal in SQ to me but they have very different sound signature. Different, but one is not better than the other.

And in terms of ANC
XM4>>EX~PI7>EQ
EQ's ANC was rather weak for me, and coupled with lower volume makes them last place on my preference in terms of ANC. PI7 has great passive noise blockage already so hard to tell if they are better than EX. But XM4 is definitely better in this area.

In terms of comfort
EX>>PI7>XM4>EQ. But this is really subjective. However, EX feels lighter and easier to get it into the right position and have it stay there. PI7 stayed in my ear pretty well, but the XM4 and EQ are just BIG in my ears. None of them feels that they are about to fall out, but the EX is definitely comfy for me.

In terms of control
EX>XM4>EQ>PI7. EX is just a lot more customizable than the others. On the EX, my touches registers very accurately, most accurate among the lot.

In terms of connection stability
EX>EQ>XM4>PI7. I experienced very little drop outs from the EX throughout the past several weeks, even in quite crowded areas. The XM4s are about equal to the EQ if LDAC is not used but definitely worse if LDAC is enabled. PI7.... well, bad.

In terms of useful tech features
XM4>PI7>>EX>EQ
XM4 definitely has the most tech stuff in conjunction with the app. I the location based auto mode switching, speak to chat (auto transparent mode), wind noise cancellation, multiple graphics eq, DSSE.... etc. EX (and EQ) is not bad in that it as multipoint, and somewhat of an equalizer. I rank PI7 higher than the EX/EQ due to the one of a kind transmitter case and the app controllable device connection switching which is very useful for me.

All in all, the EX has become my favorite and is almost with me. To me, it has the balance of comfort/SQ/usability, and couple that with multipoint and stable connection, makes it a easy choice for me to have most of the time.

That's my 2 cents.....

Jun 1, 2022 at 6:12 AM Post #9 of 37
Been using the EX for the past few weeks on a daily basis. The EX has quickly become my go to set and with me most of the time. The volume is loud enough to compensate the what the ANC cannot filter out without affecting my listening experience. The more that I listen to the EX, the more I am drawn to it. I like the SQ on the EX more than the XM4, and the touch control on the EX is way more intuitive than the Sony ones. Not to mention the EX is a lot more comfortable than the XM4.

PI7>EX>EQ~XM4
EQ and XM4 are equal in SQ to me but they have very different sound signature. Different, but one is not better than the other.

And in terms of ANC
XM4>>EX~PI7>EQ
EQ's ANC was rather weak for me, and coupled with lower volume makes them last place on my preference in terms of ANC. PI7 has great passive noise blockage already so hard to tell if they are better than EX. But XM4 is definitely better in this area.

In terms of comfort
EX>>PI7>XM4>EQ. But this is really subjective. However, EX feels lighter and easier to get it into the right position and have it stay there. PI7 stayed in my ear pretty well, but the XM4 and EQ are just BIG in my ears. None of them feels that they are about to fall out, but the EX is definitely comfy for me.

In terms of control
EX>XM4>EQ>PI7. EX is just a lot more customizable than the others. On the EX, my touches registers very accurately, most accurate among the lot.

EX>EQ>XM4>PI7. I experienced very little drop outs from the EX throughout the past several weeks, even in quite crowded areas. The XM4s are about equal to the EQ if LDAC is not used but definitely worse if LDAC is enabled. PI7.... well, bad.

XM4>PI7>>EX>EQ
XM4 definitely has the most tech stuff in conjunction with the app. I the location based auto mode switching, speak to chat (auto transparent mode), wind noise cancellation, multiple graphics eq, DSSE.... etc. EX (and EQ) is not bad in that it as multipoint, and somewhat of an equalizer. I rank PI7 higher than the EX/EQ due to the one of a kind transmitter case and the app controllable device connection switching which is very useful for me.

All in all, the EX has become my favorite and is almost with me. To me, it has the balance of comfort/SQ/usability, and couple that with multipoint and stable connection, makes it a easy choice for me to have most of the time.

That's my 2 cents.....
wow, a very great comparison among those 4 top iems. thank you for that.

Jun 5, 2022 at 1:31 AM Post #10 of 37

PI7>EX>EQ~XM4

And in terms of ANC
XM4>>EX~PI7>EQ

In terms of comfort

In terms of control

XM4>PI7>>EX>EQ

That's my 2 cents.....
thank you so much

Aug 25, 2022 at 5:18 AM Post #11 of 37
Listed my mint pair in the classifieds :wink:.

Sep 22, 2022 at 6:16 PM Post #12 of 37
I've been using mine for 3-4 months now and they are my go to pair. My other tws include Sennheiser momentum 2s, Beoplay EQs, PI7s. I haven't used the Sony so I can't speak to them.

I've been using them with spin fit tips and get really good fit and isolation with them. The sound quality is pretty good. My reference pair for good audio quality are my blessing 2 with my Hiby 6. Not at all God tier but solid. In comparison to those I find these enjoyable and it doesn't make make me miss my Blessings all too much. I think as far as true wireless earbuds go it is a pretty reasonable and satisfying sound profile and experience. I'm normally somewhat sensitive to high frequency sibilance my PX7s are very hard for me to enjoy for that reason and even the Mark Levinson which I overall really love I sometimes will have issues with that aspect. I have not had that issue with the EXs unlike some reviewers mentioning it here so I'm very surprised by that comment.

The biggest problem with them would be their active noise cancellation. It does okay with low frequency noises for example in my office it drones out air conditioning with only a modest change in sound. However it is terrible with wind noises and the mics actually amplify the wind noise.

Overall though I've enjoyed them enough that they are my defacto true wireless earbuds. Compared to all the others they are very very comfortable and lightweight.

Sep 30, 2022 at 4:23 PM Post #13 of 37
I jinxed myself! They were having a hard time connecting to the app so i decided to do a factory reset and since then they are not responding or connecting properly. I hear them make their beep noise when i taken them out of the case and put them in my ear, but then nothing. And the factory reset maneuver isnt doing anything!

Oct 23, 2022 at 7:02 AM Post #14 of 37
Just got my warranty replacement and installed the new update. It seems like they have fixed the wind noise when in anc mode. Also I had a chance to the Sony earbuds for a month while these were sent reviewed for replacement versus repair. These are by far the better sounding earbuds to my ear. They also are much more comfortable in ear due to the smaller body and stem design.

Nov 15, 2022 at 4:19 PM Post #15 of 37
Official firmware update came through and they fixed a lot of of my gripes
Theres a wind noise correction mode now, they finally remember and stay on the last anc on off settings, and the single ear on off is much improved.

They are my favorite earbuds for android now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back