Benga: "Diary of an Afro Warrior" (for all you BASSHEADS)
Jul 24, 2008 at 2:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

kwitel

Headphoneus Supremus
Another on of my attempts to get more peeps into some dubstep.

This is a very solid album.

Classic dubstep with a just a touch of reggae/dance-hall on top of some nasty grime /garage/two-step beats. Theres also quite of bit of electro, techno and break inlfuences here as well. It however, all seems to flow rather seamlessly.

Very interesting album; highly recommended for all electronica fans, especially bass heads.

Jul 24, 2008 at 12:48 PM Post #2 of 16
Oh baby... I freakin love this album. But I'm a huge drum 'n bass.... and more recently dubstep person.

Jul 25, 2008 at 10:48 AM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another on of my attempts to get more peeps into some dubstep.

This is a very solid album.

Classic dubstep with a just a touch of reggae/dance-hall on top of some nasty grime /garage/two-step beats. Theres also quite of bit of electro, techno and break inlfuences here as well. It however, all seems to flow rather seamlessly.

Very interesting album; highly recommended for all electronica fans, especially bass heads.

Downloaded it last night from eMusic...Sounds mighty fine to me!
Thanks for the heads-up.

Jul 28, 2008 at 5:02 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well shoot, I better check this joint out.

Im interested in hearing your feedback as always, but especially on this one since I know you arent a dubstepper.
When I first posted the rec, I had only heard a couple of songs but it was enough for me to post.

After listening to it all weekend with friends by the pool-it has been collectively certified as straight nasty.

Knowing your tastes-your two tracks are "Crunked Up" and "Go Tell Them".

Wicked album.

For all the New Yorkers-
Skream will be at Knitting Factory this coming Saturday.
Hes at the fore-front of the Britain-based dubstep scene.

Jul 28, 2008 at 6:15 PM Post #6 of 16
Yeah, it's time for ole viro to pick some beats. The Benga is on the way along with Dubstep Allstars Vol.2 that you rec'ed wayyyy back.

You have any good recent breakbeat recs? I've semi-enjoyed the 08 releases (not classics albums or anything) Growl by Radioactive Man, Headthrash by Plump DJ's, and the more Hip-hoppy Welcome by James Pants.

*not to OT, but the thread isn't exactly on fire, so thought I'd pick KD's brain*

/Edit oh and I image you've heard of Daedelus. I recently picked up Exquisite Corpse. That is good ***** right there.

Jul 28, 2008 at 10:50 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, it's time for ole viro to pick some beats. The Benga is on the way along with Dubstep Allstars Vol.2 that you rec'ed wayyyy back.

You have any good recent breakbeat recs? I've semi-enjoyed the 08 releases (not classics albums or anything) Growl by Radioactive Man, Headthrash by Plump DJ's, and the more Hip-hoppy Welcome by James Pants.

*not to OT, but the thread isn't exactly on fire, so thought I'd pick KD's brain*

/Edit oh and I image you've heard of Daedelus. I recently picked up Exquisite Corpse. That is good ***** right there.

lol-yeah, people arent exactly flipping over my Benga rec.
Breaks...so many different directions to go here...can you tell me what sub-genre ur looking for?
Techy, Dark, Jump Up, Vocals, etc.

Do you have the usual suspects?

Meat Katie-(try and get his radio 1/live material)
Tipper-Surrounded
Hybrid-Wide Angle
Baby Anne-Dark Side of the Boom
Omar Santana-Planet of the Breaks (so old but so good)
Hellfish (for a little breakcore).

Aug 6, 2008 at 6:03 AM Post #11 of 16
So OP, or anyone that has an opinion, tell me where to go from here. I literally know nothing about dubstep. My experience with dubstep is that I listened to Burial- Untrue and I absolutely love it. What should I do now? (obviously besides buying the other Burial album.) Do you think Benga is something I would like? Just any other recommendations would be great. Thanks.

Aug 6, 2008 at 12:19 PM Post #12 of 16
Burial is excellent, ambient-type dubstep... Benga is crush-your-skull-into-a-steel-rod-type dubstep.

Learn more about dubstep at the wikipedia page.

Aug 6, 2008 at 8:47 PM Post #13 of 16
bought this today. just to chime in, its BADASS!!!
really good dubstep, bassy and dark yet experimental and progressive (in terms of the genre) yummy.

Aug 6, 2008 at 10:08 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by thread /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Burial is excellent, ambient-type dubstep... Benga is crush-your-skull-into-a-steel-rod-type dubstep.

Learn more about dubstep at the wikipedia page.

Yeah, that's what I liked so much about the Burial album, is that felt so much more like an ambient record, than say, a hip hop album, which for some reason is what I kind of expected.

Thanks for the link. Interesting that this is still a very young genre.

Aug 7, 2008 at 9:54 PM Post #15 of 16
Im really liking what im hearing from all these artists, skream, Benga, Burial, but the snips on myspace only go so far. Is there anywhere i can listen to more before committing to buying albums?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back