Benefits of IEMs compared to full-sized cans?
Feb 11, 2013 at 8:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

pro1137

500+ Head-Fier
Hey Head-Fi'ers. I'm wondering, what are the real benefits of IEMs over full-sized headphones? I personally think IEMs offer a lot more detail for the same price as over-ear cans. I cannot really decide whether to get an over ear/IEM for my next purchase.

What would you say IEMs can do better than over-ear cans in the same price range?

Feb 12, 2013 at 1:18 AM Post #5 of 17
x3

Seriously, the hair factor is the primary reason I use earbuds and IEMs at work.

Another benefit is financial. You can get good sound with IEMs without using an expensive amp (so says the guy who uses the Pico Slim regularly 
etysmile.gif
 ).

While I admit that I have no experience with custom IEMs, I'm not sure one would choose IEMs over full size cans purely for sonic reasons. In addition to the aforementioned hair factor, I use IEMs because of mobility. I ride the bus to work regularly and carrying IEMs is much easier than carrying headphones, even the portable ones. Plus, the isolation offered by IEMs is a must on a noisy bus.

Feb 12, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #7 of 17
I mix monitors for several bands and use CIEMS. Because they don't mess up my hair, and I wear a wireless receiver pack so that I can move around the performance venue (arena, theater, church etc.) much easier.

Feb 12, 2013 at 2:22 PM Post #9 of 17
After getting used to using IEMs as my main headphones, normal sized ones feel so heavy and clumsy to use. I don´t like the way they seal the ears either. Plus I like to listen at coffee shops etc and full size headphones are difficult to carry. Ergonomics wise it´s a clear win.

And to be honest I was expecting sound quality to be a clear loss, but it´s not. It´s a mixed bag. Good IEMs seem better at some things and worse at others. Nothing on IEMs touches the HD800´s soundstage though, but it´s a compromise I´m willing to take. The IEM market seems to be developing faster too, which makes it a lot more interesting to follow. 

Feb 12, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #10 of 17
After getting used to using IEMs as my main headphones, normal sized ones feel so heavy and clumsy to use. I don´t like the way they seal the ears either. Plus I like to listen at coffee shops etc and full size headphones are difficult to carry. Ergonomics wise it´s a clear win.

And to be honest I was expecting sound quality to be a clear loss, but it´s not. It´s a mixed bag. Good IEMs seem better at some things and worse at others. Nothing on IEMs touches the HD800´s soundstage though, but it´s a compromise I´m willing to take. The IEM market seems to be developing faster too, which makes it a lot more interesting to follow. 

+1 to everything you just said.

I personally think IEMs have a lot more detail than over ears. I had the Custom One Pro, and I felt that my $10 Monoprice 8320 had similar detail amounts.

Feb 12, 2013 at 3:02 PM Post #11 of 17
Full size headphone look badass! 

I had a friend at my last work and whenever i'd turn up with something that wasn't my DT1350 (not full size i know but) he'd always say where my cool ones were, and that they looked awesome and space like. Quite funny how he never asked for a listen though. He was a good friend rather so don't read that out of context.

Feb 12, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #12 of 17
I mix monitors for several bands and use CIEMS. Because they don't mess up my hair, and I wear a wireless receiver pack so that I can move around the performance venue (arena, theater, church etc.) much easier.

Hmm, CIEMS+wireless receiver=listening to music in class(if you have the hair to hide it)

Mind telling me what you have? CIEM and the receiver?

Feb 12, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:
Hmm, CIEMS+wireless receiver=listening to music in class(if you have the hair to hide it)

Mind telling me what you have? CIEM and the receiver?

Don't miss the part about mixing for bands.

my CIEMS are 1964-v6's as of last week.
dt880smile.png
had/have a set of livewire duals as well.

my source (for personal music) is my iPod or a Denon DN-C640 CD player ran into a Digico D5 console then to a Shure PSM-700 wireless personal monitor. (not exactly portable)

Feb 12, 2013 at 4:06 PM Post #15 of 17
The PSM is no longer made but still supported for service so you can probably pic one up for a more reasonable price. Range depends on how many walls and how thick they are. But you can up the range by buying a transmitter amp and a high gain antenna.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back