Benchmark HPA4 Headphone / Line Amplifier Impressions
Nov 9, 2020 at 10:13 AM Post #886 of 1,410
Spent some time this evening comparing HPA4, Moon 430HAD (dac and amp), DAC3 and RME ADI-2, and wow what an experience that was. Headphones used were HD800S, Utopia and Empyrean.

Without writing a lengthy post, I felt like the RME/HPA4 pair suited trance and dance music best, but the Moon 430HAD (as a dac and amp) brought so much more to the party when it came to vocals and atmosphere, especially for sound tracks.

I’m looking for my next potential upgrade from my V281 (to be paired with my current RME ADI-2) and I’m unsure which way to go (HPA4 or 430HAD), but it’s going to be really interesting trying to decide which way to go.

A friend is doing the same and he’s buying both which I’m reluctant to do at this time, but damn they’d all live very happily together, used for they’re own purposes and matched music types.
It’s so hard to settle on just one amp, one headphone and one DAC. There are just to many possible headphone/amp/dac combinations out there to try. The rabbit hole is endless and there is no such thing as endgame in my opinion. It’s the main reason why I have a “collection of sound“ as I like to call it. Even with all the gear I have I still enjoy listening to other gear at different price points to see if there is “more” sound to had.

The main thing anyone can do is just be happy with what you have because there will always be something better to come along. System synergy is the key. Some headphones just sound better when paired with certain gear. Put a different headphone on the same gear it may not be as enjoyable as enjoyable. So the search continue.......

Nov 9, 2020 at 10:18 AM Post #887 of 1,410
It’s so hard to settle on just one amp, one headphone and one DAC. There are just to many possible headphone/amp/dac combinations out there to try. The rabbit hole is endless and there is no such thing as endgame in my opinion. It’s the main reason why I have a “collection of sound“ as I like to call it. Even with all the gear I have I still enjoy listening to other gear at different price points to see if there is “more” sound to had.

The main thing anyone can do is just be happy with what you have because there will always be something better to come along. System synergy is the key. Some headphones just sound better when paired with certain gear. Put a different headphone on the same gear it may not be as enjoyable as enjoyable. So the search continue.......
Thats the problem. But we dont get to try everything !

Nov 9, 2020 at 10:28 AM Post #888 of 1,410
Thats the problem. But we dont get to try everything !

I feel quite lucky that in Australia, Sydney specifically, I have just about every headphone and every dac or amp option available for me to test, often in the same shop. I’ve done some seriously extensive A/B in the last year and the gear I mention is easily the best before you step up to Bartok (and other similar priced units).

Nov 9, 2020 at 10:37 AM Post #889 of 1,410
I feel quite lucky that in Australia, Sydney specifically, I have just about every headphone and every dac or amp option available for me to test, often in the same shop. I’ve done some seriously extensive A/B in the last year and the gear I mention is easily the best before you step up to Bartok (and other similar priced units).
You are so damn lucky. Do you demo with no people around, less noise ? I wish I live in Sydney then. Including ZMF I suppose as well and even Final Audio ? Anyway what was your best setup you tried and do you own them ?

Nov 9, 2020 at 10:51 AM Post #890 of 1,410
That's some luck bro😊

Nov 9, 2020 at 10:54 AM Post #891 of 1,410
You definitely are, the only way I get to try gear is to buy it. It’s a crap shoot most of the time.

Nov 9, 2020 at 11:28 AM Post #893 of 1,410
Risk and buyer remorse. Dont really like the idea of trading as well as buying and selling.
Trading is a little better. At least you get to move on from the gear you don’t want and get to try something you could possibly like and hang onto. Buying and selling you usually take loses when you sell your gear out right.

Just to stay on topic, the HP4 was one of those amps I wanted to try. I just don’t like the THX sound that much. I’m sure some of my headphones would benefit from such a sound, but I like a musical amp. My FA-10 is perfect for my needs. My plan is to eventually get a Luxman P-750u and be done with buying amps. Between the FA-10, P-750u, and my LP I think I could be happy.

Nov 9, 2020 at 11:31 AM Post #894 of 1,410
Trading is a little better. At least you get to move on from the gear you don’t want and get to try something you could possibly like and hang onto. Buying and selling you usually take loses when you sell your gear out right.

Just to stay on topic, the HP4 was one of those amps I wanted to try. I just don’t like the THX sound that much. I’m sure some of my headphones would benefit from such a sound, but I like a musical amp. My FA-10 is perfect for my needs. My plan is to eventually get a Luxman P-750u and be done with buying amps. Between the FA-10, P-750u, and my LP I think I could be happy.
Really depends if you live in a region where trading is possible not to mentioned, currency, exchange rate, shipping cost, custom duty tax and shipping handling consistent all have to be taken into account. Based on the gear you have, trading doesnt seems to be a favourable option but really depends. Audio industry is really bad.

HPA-4 is good. THX is pure and colourless.

Nov 9, 2020 at 11:49 AM Post #895 of 1,410
I had the V281 in the top version with step relay for several years before buying the HPA4. No comparison between the Violectric and the Benchmark.
The Benchmark is much better. What you call heat is actually all distortion. Consider that the HPA4 makes you feel only your source, nothing more, nothing less.

Nov 9, 2020 at 11:50 AM Post #896 of 1,410
Really depends if you live in a region where trading is possible not to mentioned, currency, exchange rate, shipping cost, custom duty tax and shipping handling consistent all have to be taken into account. Based on the gear you have, trading doesnt seems to be a favourable option but really depends. Audio industry is really bad.

HPA-4 is good. THX is pure and colourless.
My current list is the culmination of trading and selling. I‘ve finally found the sound I like in a headphone. The TT2/HMS is my front end. Now I’m looking for a reference amp, which is why I considered the HPA-4. The Susvara’s don’t pair well with neutral amps. They sound best on a amp with some color and meat to it’s sound. I just don’t think that’s the HPA-4, which is why I’m leaning Luxman.

Nov 9, 2020 at 11:55 AM Post #897 of 1,410
My current list is the culmination of trading and selling. I‘ve finally found the sound I like in a headphone. The TT2/HMS is my front end. Now I’m looking for a reference amp, which is why I considered the HPA-4. The Susvara’s don’t pair well with neutral amps. They sound best on a amp with some color and meat to it’s sound. I just don’t think that’s the HPA-4, which is why I’m leaning Luxman.
Yeah the HPA 4 is colourless and pure. Just because it sound good with every headphone does not means it sound well with specific headphone. HPA-4 has a philosophy of sound and its the best sound of what they pursuit but not for everything. Now for Susvara, for headphone amp, it needs power something like Class A Amp. And yes, for some reasons, nuetral sounding pairing to the Susvara is not really the best compatibility.

Nov 9, 2020 at 12:28 PM Post #898 of 1,410
I had the V281 in the top version with step relay for several years before buying the HPA4. No comparison between the Violectric and the Benchmark.
The Benchmark is much better. What you call heat is actually all distortion. Consider that the HPA4 makes you feel only your source, nothing more, nothing less.
Hmmm. Can you please elaborate a bit more on the distortion aspect? If this is true, I won't bother auditioning it. What's your test bench like?

Nov 9, 2020 at 12:46 PM Post #899 of 1,410
We had the HE-1000 v2 and the HE-6 with us over the weekend and if the susvara is anything like these, you'll want to be away from the hpa4 as much as possible. Not a sympatico pair at all.
The LCD4 was a different story though. Very good synergy. But still, that was perhaps the only headphone everyone liked with the HPA4 apart from the Verite closed (which was surprising).

The HPA4 is just no no with all four figure sennheisers, Ether C flows, most hifiman flagships and the AKG K812 PRO. That's a recipe for ear bleed.

Nov 9, 2020 at 12:54 PM Post #900 of 1,410
Hmmm. Can you please elaborate a bit more on the distortion aspect? If this is true, I won't bother auditioning it. What's your test bench like?
When I made the upgrade from V281 to HPA4 I hadn't replaced anything else in the system, which consisted of Metrum dacs and Pioneer SE Master1 headphones. I immediately felt the difference. Unfortunately, when they say "tending to warm" when listening, you realize that the sound is not very clear and when you turn up the volume you notice it immediately. This is not the case with HPA4. Now I'm realizing that the weak link in my system, after I sold the Pioneer and bought the Abyss, has become the dac.
In my opinion if the HPA4 brings too bright sound I would focus more on the source or RF interference.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back