Benchmark HPA4 Headphone / Line Amplifier Impressions
Mar 21, 2020 at 12:30 AM Post #646 of 1,410
Nice! I very nearly brought one of the Platform desks myself. May still do if I ever clear the spare room and want to setup in there.

Mar 23, 2020 at 5:16 PM Post #647 of 1,410
Nice! I very nearly brought one of the Platform desks myself. May still do if I ever clear the spare room and want to setup in there.
It is worth the wait (currently 10-12 weeks)! Great desk for an office centered audio rig. Really solid build and easy to assemble. Highly recommended!

Mar 24, 2020 at 9:11 AM Post #649 of 1,410
Hi guys, I am wondering how hpa4 pairs with focal utopia headphone? Did any one do comparison with gsx mk2?

Hi. I've owned a pair of Focal Utopias for about three years and use them on a daily basis in my desktop system. I was able to listen to them paired with both of the amplifiers you mentioned at CanJam shows. The shows are a lot of fun and trying out different gear is a blast, but the show floor is not the best environment for serious listening. The background noise is substantial and Utopias are vulnerable to it because they're an open-back design. For high-interest gear like these amps, there are usually a couple of people waiting behind you for their turn to listen, so you can't really take too much time. So, having said that...

I found these amps to sound more alike than different. I don't think the Utopia stresses them at all. They were both excellent performers, sonically. The music came through with remarkable clarity and air across the frequency spectrum. Build quality and ergonomics were excellent. The biggest distinguishing feature, I think, is the volume control. The Benchmark uses a relay-based volume control, while the Headamp uses a DACT stepped attenuator. I came away feeling like I would be very happy with either. That's my view. Probably not too helpful!

Mar 25, 2020 at 12:19 AM Post #650 of 1,410
Hi guys, I am wondering how hpa4 pairs with focal utopia headphone? Did any one do comparison with gsx mk2?
I'm coming up to 2yrs ownership of the HPA4 and the Utopia has been my primary headphone over that time - superb sound IMO.
My Sennheiser HD600 and 58X headphones also sound great with the HPA4, but don't get that much use due to the Utopia.
I can't make any comparison to the GSX Mk2, but preferred the HPA4 to the Bryston BHA1 I was previously using.

Mar 25, 2020 at 11:49 AM Post #651 of 1,410
After a couple of weeks with HPA4, I can say that it pairs very well with my Hifiman Susvara and speaker setups... There is nowhere to climb up anymore.

Mar 25, 2020 at 1:11 PM Post #652 of 1,410
i plan on buying one of these amps:
HPA-4 or Masskobo 394 mk2 or Pass Labs HPA-1 or Luxman p750u

Has anyone had a chance to compare any of these amps with the HPA-4 ? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2020 at 1:54 AM Post #653 of 1,410
Hi. I've owned a pair of Focal Utopias for about three years and use them on a daily basis in my desktop system. I was able to listen to them paired with both of the amplifiers you mentioned at CanJam shows. The shows are a lot of fun and trying out different gear is a blast, but the show floor is not the best environment for serious listening. The background noise is substantial and Utopias are vulnerable to it because they're an open-back design. For high-interest gear like these amps, there are usually a couple of people waiting behind you for their turn to listen, so you can't really take too much time. So, having said that...

I found these amps to sound more alike than different. I don't think the Utopia stresses them at all. They were both excellent performers, sonically. The music came through with remarkable clarity and air across the frequency spectrum. Build quality and ergonomics were excellent. The biggest distinguishing feature, I think, is the volume control. The Benchmark uses a relay-based volume control, while the Headamp uses a DACT stepped attenuator. I came away feeling like I would be very happy with either. That's my view. Probably not too helpful!
Thanks for share! The reason I plan to look at HPA4 is that it is smaller than GSX Mk2... And I could also use its pre amp to drive my speaker as well (I saw a review saying its pre amp is very good)... seems it performs similar to GSX Mk2 for cans. Get it

Apr 1, 2020 at 4:03 PM Post #654 of 1,410
Last night I listened to "Italia" by Chris Botti with my Phi TC / HPA4 setup and I am still thinking just how amazing that experience was almost 24 hours later! Simply breathtaking. The HPA4's ability to drive these power hungry headphones was both effortless and completely transparent. Can't wait to get home tonight and listen some more. :)

Apr 2, 2020 at 1:27 PM Post #655 of 1,410
Would love to hear from anyone who has compared he HPA4 to the XI Formula S with Powerman.

Apr 2, 2020 at 3:14 PM Post #659 of 1,410
price? :wink: you think dac3 will give the best result? I've tried it in Canjam and yes I like it but haven't tried any chord dac or the latest topping d90 or an r2r. So I'm weighing my options.

Yes. :) But Topping D90 looks to be a fine choice in terms of value, it measures really well and AK4499 is excellent as I have experienced in my FiiO M15.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back