Benchmark HPA4 Headphone / Line Amplifier Impressions
Nov 21, 2019 at 12:39 PM Post #571 of 1,410
Is it normal to hear a low hum from the HPA4 basically whenever the unit is plugged, on or off? I don't hear it through headphones, but through the unit itself just sitting there on my desk.

No hum with mine either. Probably best to give Benchmark a call or an email if you haven't already so they can troubleshoot.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2019 at 12:56 PM Post #572 of 1,410
Good to know. Thanks. I've contacted the Benchmark service dept via email, so hopefully we can get to the bottom of this. It's slightly annoying, but more importantly, I want to make sure my unit is performing properly.

Nov 21, 2019 at 2:29 PM Post #573 of 1,410
Good to know. Thanks. I've contacted the Benchmark service dept via email, so hopefully we can get to the bottom of this. It's slightly annoying, but more importantly, I want to make sure my unit is performing properly.
"DC offset" is something that immediately comes to mind (DC voltage floating on the AC mains), which can cause mechanical noise in an amp's transformer.

Nov 21, 2019 at 4:11 PM Post #574 of 1,410
Hopefully Benchmark will help you figure out the issue. Any hum or high pitch noise from electronics bothers the heck out of me as well so I feel your pain. Especially from such a clean and transparent amp!

Nov 21, 2019 at 4:17 PM Post #575 of 1,410
"DC offset" is something that immediately comes to mind (DC voltage floating on the AC mains), which can cause mechanical noise in an amp's transformer.

I am running my gear through a power conditioner, I would hope that would prevent that sort of thing. I'll be checking a few things like that later, per the advice of the service department. I'll post an update once things get interesting.

Hopefully Benchmark will help you figure out the issue. Any hum or high pitch noise from electronics bothers the heck out of me as well so I feel your pain. Especially from such a clean and transparent amp!

Thanks! It's not much of a concern soundwise, but it seems like something that shouldn't be happening so I want to make sure it doesn't develop into a major issue. The worst part, honestly, is the sinking suspicion that I am going to have to send the amp back and listen to the b-team exclusively for a few weeks. Not to be overly dramatic or anything, but that is going to be a hard transition.

Nov 21, 2019 at 4:32 PM Post #576 of 1,410
I am running my gear through a power conditioner, I would hope that would prevent that sort of thing. I'll be checking a few things like that later, per the advice of the service department. I'll post an update once things get interesting.

Thanks! It's not much of a concern soundwise, but it seems like something that shouldn't be happening so I want to make sure it doesn't develop into a major issue. The worst part, honestly, is the sinking suspicion that I am going to have to send the amp back and listen to the b-team exclusively for a few weeks. Not to be overly dramatic or anything, but that is going to be a hard transition.
Thankfully you have a B-Team to back you up! If mine goes I got nothing but the line out on my PC or phone so that’s something to be grateful for :)

Nov 22, 2019 at 5:09 PM Post #577 of 1,410
I thought this video fit some of the inquiries in this thread by me and others fairly well:

Nov 22, 2019 at 5:14 PM Post #578 of 1,410
Thankfully you have a B-Team to back you up! If mine goes I got nothing but the line out on my PC or phone so that’s something to be grateful for :)

You live dangerously, my friend, and I respect that.

Nov 25, 2019 at 7:12 PM Post #580 of 1,410
None here either...ever. Ground loop somewhere in the home maybe? I'd try seeing if it is still there in other power outlets.

So, it turned out to be the DAC3-B that was the culprit, while the HPA4 displayed no hum at all. It also shows up when connected to a power conditioner. I'm not at all familiar with ground loop issues, does that still sound like a possibility here?

Nov 25, 2019 at 7:16 PM Post #581 of 1,410
So, it turned out to be the DAC3-B that was the culprit, while the HPA4 displayed no hum at all. It also shows up when connected to a power conditioner. I'm not at all familiar with ground loop issues, does that still sound like a possibility here?
My DAC3b also has this humming. Almost positive it's a normal thing because it never turns completely off

Nov 25, 2019 at 7:23 PM Post #582 of 1,410

I'd still try the DAC3-B on another outlet to see if there is a hum with it and not a ground loop.

Nov 25, 2019 at 7:35 PM Post #584 of 1,410
I'd still try the DAC3-B on another outlet to see if there is a hum with it and not a ground loop.

Different power cord, different outlet, different circuit, same faint hum.

And, as much as I appreciate the help, this is all academic at this point since Benchmark is in the middle of resolving the issue. I don't want anyone wasting their time on a problem that is now moot. You know, unless you find it interesting like I do, then by all means! :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back