Benchmark DAC1 now available with USB
Dec 2, 2010 at 6:11 PM Post #2,971 of 3,058

Quote:

Hi Elias,

Thanks for your reply. :)
But I'm still curious that could I get more close/precise value as the factory setting with multimeter?

Regards,
lhan

The factory setting for calibrated output is:
- output attenuators in the -20 dB position
- +4 dB when a 0 dBFS signal is used (using the calculator on the site I mentioned above, this equates to 1.228 Vrms)

If you have the output attenuators in the 0 dB position, the factory calibrated setting would yield 12.28 Vrms using a 0 dBFS signal.

Best,
Elias

Dec 6, 2010 at 10:37 AM Post #2,973 of 3,058

Quote:
Elias - 

Sorry if this question has already been asked somewhere in this 200 pages, but do you hear a difference between usb and optical implementations on the DAC1?

P

Regarding USB vs. Optical:

Provided that the audio data is the same, all digital inputs of the DAC1 sound identical.  The only way there would be a difference in sound between the USB and optical input of the DAC1 USB/PRE/HDR is if the two sources were providing different data.  This may seem obvious, but it shouldn't be overlooked.  Many 3rd-party USB-to-SPDIF converters actually change the data (they are NOT bit-transparent).  In this case, it will probably sound different.

The USB input is usually the safest bet because you know that the data is getting from the hard-drive to the DAC1 in as short of a path as possible.

Best,
Elias

Jan 19, 2011 at 3:45 PM Post #2,976 of 3,058

I have Squeezebox Touch -> Benchmark DAC1, and I'm hearing a click/pop at my speakers/headphones about 30% of the time when I pause/unpause or manually skip to the next track. I don't know if it damages my speakers but it sure is annoying to hear.The Squeezebox people are saying it's the DAC's problem because their digital outputs are always on. This has been an issue since I got my DAC1 5 years ago.

Any way to fix this?

Jan 20, 2011 at 1:12 AM Post #2,977 of 3,058
JMS:

Of course they are saying that !

I am using DAC1 and DAC1- HDR with  Stax phones and other gear and I have never heard clicks/pops or other anomalies.
Sources are MacMini/Powerbook G4/iTunes with TIFF files.

Cheers

Tom

Jan 24, 2011 at 10:12 AM Post #2,978 of 3,058

Quote:

I have Squeezebox Touch -> Benchmark DAC1, and I'm hearing a click/pop at my speakers/headphones about 30% of the time when I pause/unpause or manually skip to the next track. I don't know if it damages my speakers but it sure is annoying to hear.The Squeezebox people are saying it's the DAC's problem because their digital outputs are always on. This has been an issue since I got my DAC1 5 years ago.

Any way to fix this?

Hi JMS,

This is very strange...but I'll try my best to help you.

Please verify: Are you using the base-level DAC1, as opposed to the DAC1 USB/PRE/HDR?

When the click/pop is happening, do the lights on the front of the DAC1 change?

Do you have another digital source that can use the same connection as the Squeezebox (for example, a CD player)?

Best,
Elias

Jan 24, 2011 at 12:40 PM Post #2,979 of 3,058
I am certainly happy with the non-USB DAC1 I have.  It has superb resolution and superb bass.

Jan 24, 2011 at 3:27 PM Post #2,980 of 3,058
Quote:
Quote:

Any way to fix this?

Hi JMS,

This is very strange...but I'll try my best to help you.

Please verify: Are you using the base-level DAC1, as opposed to the DAC1 USB/PRE/HDR?

When the click/pop is happening, do the lights on the front of the DAC1 change?

Do you have another digital source that can use the same connection as the Squeezebox (for example, a CD player)?

Best,
Elias

I'm using the original base-level DAC1, revision H from 5 years ago. The lights in front do not change, and this happens regardless of whether I'm using optical or coaxial input. I don't have any issues when pausing tracks using my PS3's digital output. I do think it's something specific with Squeezebox players.

Jan 26, 2011 at 9:34 AM Post #2,981 of 3,058

Quote:
I'm using the original base-level DAC1, revision H from 5 years ago. The lights in front do not change, and this happens regardless of whether I'm using optical or coaxial input. I don't have any issues when pausing tracks using my PS3's digital output. I do think it's something specific with Squeezebox players.

Yeah, I think you're right.  Did you tell Squeezebox this?  What did they say? 

Feb 21, 2011 at 3:59 AM Post #2,983 of 3,058
Hi Elias hi all
I have benchmark dac 1 usb connected to my mac pro via usb and benchmark to powered monitors Adam s1x, monitors volume is set to minimum,i set dac volume attunation to -30db, but still sound is too loud, even dac volume is at 9o'clock
So Please help me,if there is something i can do.
I heard about rothwell In-Line Attenuators,and read some reviews,and seems it degrade sound quality.
Thx in advance

Feb 23, 2011 at 11:00 AM Post #2,984 of 3,058
Hi mahesh,

Unfortunately, based on the information you've given me, I think the Adam S1X may be too powerful for your listening preferences.  The peak levels coming from your DAC1 (with the -30dB attenuation and volume knob at 9 o'clock) would be about -25 dBu, give or take.  If that is too loud, then your amp/speakers are too loud. 

Yes, you can use in-line attenuators, but the more you reduce the signal that is driving your powered monitors, the more you will reduce your dynamic range (increasing noise amplification).

Does that make sense?

Best,
Elias

Users who are viewing this thread

Back