Benchmark DAC1 amp.
Dec 16, 2007 at 7:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

N15M0

100+ Head-Fier
Hi currently I have a benchmark DAC1 , headamp GS-1 and darkvoice 337. May I know whether is the inbuild amp on the DAC1 is better then the 2 delicated amp that I have? Because if this is the can I might have plan to sell off the amps. Thanks. Anyone care to share their experiance?

Dec 16, 2007 at 7:38 AM Post #2 of 20
From the extensive amount of reading I have done on the DAC1 and some research into those two amps, I highly doubt the internal amp in the DAC1 performs as well as the GS-1 or 337. Since you have all three units in your possesion, can't you simply listen to them to determine which one you like the most? If you cannot hear a difference then you may find it worth it to sell the seperate amps. Otherwise, I would recommend keeping an external amp. I have not heard any of these so this is purely based on what I have read on head-fi.

Dec 16, 2007 at 8:39 AM Post #5 of 20
Sell everything, and buy Lavry Black DA10. Better sounding source, decent headphone out, money in your pocket.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 16, 2007 at 10:30 AM Post #6 of 20
I've had both the Lavry DA10 and the Benchmark DAC1 in my house for a extended period of time. Sonically, as a source the Lavry had the Dac1 beat. However, if you are looking for a minimal rig and don't plan on purchasing a dedicated headphone amp, the headphone amp in the DAC1 is better then the one in the Lavry.

If you actually want more impressions of the sound, let me know.

~G

Dec 16, 2007 at 12:01 PM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by d-cee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
listen to them and let us know!

lol..exactly..why is OP even asking us for our opinion? just listen to your own gear!

Dec 16, 2007 at 1:21 PM Post #8 of 20
I have listen to them all, GS-1, 337 and the amp of the DAC1. I do hear different and prefer the sound produced from these dedicated amp. But its just that I cannot make up my mind whether or not do I want to sell of the amps. Lolx.

Btw I am using the DAC1 mainly as a source. Is the Lavry that much of a better source compared to the DAC1? One of the main reason I gotten the DAC1 is due to the USB input as I am playing songs from my macbook pro. Thanks.
biggrin.gif

Dec 16, 2007 at 2:01 PM Post #9 of 20
Beware of opinion mascarading as fact. I've put my USB DAC1 is some high-end speaker systems, and it does very well. At a certain point the difference between digital sources becomes quite subtle and subjective.

Dec 16, 2007 at 2:57 PM Post #10 of 20
I listened through the amp of the Dac1usb for a few months and found the sound to be pretty marginal. They say the Benchmark sounds better through the other outs. I hope so. (never listened to it this way; I just have a headphone setup) If not then it is really an overrated Dac. The sound from the internal amp was a disappointment. I've since sent it off for modding.

Dec 16, 2007 at 3:17 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hadden /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I listened through the amp of the Dac1usb for a few months and found the sound to be pretty marginal. They say the Benchmark sounds better through the other outs. If not then it is really an overrated Dac. The sound from the internal amp was a disappointment. I've since sent it off for modding.

I'm wondering if you could expand on this opinion beyond "marginal"? What is it you don't like? What is it you are looking for or expecting?

Also, what associated gear are you using (you don't have any info in your profile)?

Dec 16, 2007 at 3:28 PM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm wondering if you could expand on this opinion beyond "marginal"? What is it you don't like? What is it you are looking for or expecting?

Also, what associated gear are you using (you don't have any info in your profile)?

Flat and undynamic. Very dry. It had a kind of vague suckout on quiet passages in classical music. I listened with Senn600. It replaced a Freeway 2 --Ack Dack 2(modded) /GS-1/LaroccoHeadcode. I've been wanting to simplify things to one box, but to me the Benchmark was not good enough stock. I know this is a generally highly regarded unit. I heard what I heard though. The Ack dack combo had a much more muscular exciting sound, with much more trippy soundstaging.

Dec 16, 2007 at 7:04 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Flat and undynamic. Very dry. It had a kind of vague suckout on quiet passages in classical music. I listened with Senn600. It replaced a Freeway 2 --Ack Dack 2(modded) /GS-1/LaroccoHeadcode. I've been wanting to simplify things to one box, but to me the Benchmark was not good enough stock. I know this is a generally highly regarded unit. I heard what I heard though. The Ack dack combo had a much more muscular exciting sound, with much more trippy soundstaging.

My experience with the DAC1-USB's internal amp is that it worked very well with my Grados but was not good at all with my K701's, whereas when I teamed my GS-1 up to the DAC1, it was a revelation -- this combo was magic with both the Grados and AKGs. I don't have a good explanation for this dramatic difference, especially with the K701s but it clearly suggests there is some synergy (or lack thereof) with regard to the DAC1's internal amp and certain cans. I don't think it necessarily implies that there is anything intrinsically "bad" or poorly designed about the DAC1's amp. I realize that many like the idea of having everything in one box, but in this case, at least for my K701s, having two boxes suits me perfectly fine.

Dec 16, 2007 at 10:13 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Flat and undynamic. Very dry...The Ack dack combo had a much more muscular exciting sound, with much more trippy soundstaging.

Not really the job of a good DAC to add anything to the sound. It should simply provide an accurate translation of the recorded audio. Perhaps you prefer a little coloration - nothing wrong with that if it is what your ears appreciate.

An odd choice to send it off for modding if you aren't happy with the 'stock' sound, especially when you were happy with your older setup...

Dec 16, 2007 at 10:47 PM Post #15 of 20
I also found the internal amp to be pretty lacklustre with 650s. Adding a Slee Solo completely changed the sound for the better and I think the DAC1 on it's own, ignoring the amp functionality, is a top-notch source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back