Ben Webster Meets Oscar Peterson
Jul 2, 2005 at 12:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

cpw

Headphoneus Supremus
Mom gave me this (on vinyl) as a Father's Day gift along with several other albums. I just can't seem to get this one off the TT long enough to listen to the others much.
Awesome recording with some great playing. This is my first album by either of these guys (though they appear on other albums) and they are both great.
I'm a huge fan of Ray Brown and Barney Kessel and I can't believe I didn't know that they made up Petersons Trio for years.
I also just realized that Herb Ellis played guitar in Petersons trio.
I'll definitely be picking up some more Peterson albums.
Any favorites?
Thx,
CPW

Jul 2, 2005 at 3:27 PM Post #2 of 14
Exclusively for my friends, Vol. 4: Especially track Perdido
Exclusively for my Friends, Vol. 2: Especially track Girl Talk

This series of hybrid SACDs has very good sonics, recorded at the home of Peterson's producer.

Another interesting album is Side by Side with Peterson accompanying Itzhak Perlman on the violin. Good stuff, but atypical sound since it's not the standard Peterson trio/quartet.

Jul 2, 2005 at 3:47 PM Post #3 of 14
"Oscar Peterson Trio + One-Clark Terry" on vinyl, w/ Art Tatum on keys and Ed Thigpen on percussion is highly recommended.

Also, Oscar Peterson SACD's entitled "exclusively for my friends" on Verve. I have volumes V and VI, and they are great.

Jul 2, 2005 at 3:53 PM Post #4 of 14
Jacintha does a tribute to Ben Webster on 200 gram vinyl on Groove Note Records, that also comes with a 45rpm extra, that sonically, is bliss (so is Jacintha's female vocals).

Jul 2, 2005 at 4:09 PM Post #5 of 14
A long time favourite Ben Webster is the Montmartre Jazzhus suite from his Copenhagen years in the mid 60s. For example the Stormy Weather (Black Lion BLCD760108), sorry a CD... They are live recordings from a small jazz club.

The atmosphere is electric; noise, guests talking, spoons falling on the floor, et cetera: A very high degree of feeling of being there! Webster is in the autumn of his life here. You hear it too, that signature of his, "breathing" the tones through the instrument, is a significant element of the performance. Splendid recording!

Jul 2, 2005 at 4:28 PM Post #6 of 14
As for Oscar Peterson, you absolutely have to check out The Good Life. It's one of the best piano trios CDs I've ever come across and shows Oscar Peterson at his best! This CD ranks up there with the best of Bill Evans', Keith Jarrett's or Duke Ellington's offerings. The first track "Wheatland" is breathtakingly good. I have around ten Oscar Peterson albums but this one would have to be my favourite and I really wonder why it isn't more popular.

Jul 5, 2005 at 3:28 AM Post #7 of 14
It's one of my favorite albums...I've been giving them away for the last two years to anyone who loves great jazz.

Check out Ben Webster's Soulville...I think you'll like it.

Jul 5, 2005 at 3:43 AM Post #8 of 14
I love great Jazz!
tongue.gif

Jul 5, 2005 at 5:43 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by saint.panda
As for Oscar Peterson, you absolutely have to check out The Good Life. It's one of the best piano trios CDs I've ever come across and shows Oscar Peterson at his best! This CD ranks up there with the best of Bill Evans', Keith Jarrett's or Duke Ellington's offerings. The first track "Wheatland" is breathtakingly good. I have around ten Oscar Peterson albums but this one would have to be my favourite and I really wonder why it isn't more popular.

Another good one, perhaps even better than this session, is 'The Trio' from the London House sessions. Wow!

Jul 5, 2005 at 9:20 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asterix
Another good one, perhaps even better than this session, is 'The Trio' from the London House sessions. Wow!

Thanks but I'm not sure which one you mean:
Link 1
Link 2
Link 3

Jul 5, 2005 at 4:04 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by saint.panda
Thanks but I'm not sure which one you mean:
Link 1
Link 2
Link 3

It's Link 2, the one with the crazy close-up pic of his face.

"Trio Live in Chicago [EXTRA TRACKS] [ORIGINAL RECORDING REMASTERED] [LIVE]"

I used to own the version without the extra tracks. I don't have it anymore but listening to and owning that was some of the best times in my life, ever.
wink.gif
I would absolutely flip out and start growling and grunting through the whole thing once I got into Ray Brown and OP's playing.

Jul 5, 2005 at 5:57 PM Post #12 of 14
Thanks! I'll have to look for this CD next time I visit my record store.

Jul 5, 2005 at 8:56 PM Post #13 of 14
Another Oscar Peterson, which is in my top 20 Jazz greats, is "Very Tall", available on Verve. It features Milt Jackson on vibes (my all-time favorite vibe player), and Ray Brown and Ed Thigpen. It is clean and detailed, and available on BMG as a free selection, if you are a member. It comes in a cardboard jewel case.

Jul 5, 2005 at 10:01 PM Post #14 of 14
Check out A Jazz Portrait of Frank Sinatra too...another good one.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back