Belkin NFC Enabled HD Bluetooth Music Receiver
Jan 4, 2013 at 6:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

asmadeus

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I'm some what of a newbie on here, so apologies in advance (I know, you love these kind of intros!)

So I've got a super nice CD/DAC (Cambridge Audio 851C) and have been recently using my MacBook Pro as the source via USB (the DAC has USB in). Of course, the most annoying thing about this setup is the long USB cable that dangles on my floor to the couch where I sit. So I was researching any wireless USB capabilities and have been hitting some dead ends until I came upon this somewhat inexpensive ($60USD) product from Belkin that claims to stream audio via Bluetooth from your smartphone (iPhone, Android, etc.) and tablets.

I think my laptop should be able to recognize this Bluetooth device. And the good news is that the device has digital coax and digital optical out. Which means I should be able to hook it up to my DAC. The question is now surrounded around the bandwidth and encoding of the audio stream.

Am I able to stream lossless (FLAC, ALAC) files over this Bluetooth channel - or will the protocol re-encode it to some lower bit-rate. I wish there was some more technical information on the device, but there aren't any specs on the Belkins site.

Here's the product:
http://www.belkin.com/us/G3A2000-Belkin/p/P-G3A2000

I couldn't find any hifi discussion on this product anywhere, so I'm hoping you guys can help!

Feb 19, 2013 at 9:53 AM Post #5 of 5
I'm not sure about all this since I use my iPad on its dock with the CCK right next to my amp, but doesn't iOS have remote apps so you can control the desktop on an OSX computer? I'm using my Android phone's Universal Remote App to control music playback on my W7 laptop (with a DAC and active monitors) from across the room, or even outside if I'm working on something else. I'm only using the free version since I only need it for background listening, so it only has basic media controls, but the paid version supposedly lets you see what's on the media player.

I have MonkeyMote on my iPad (for MediaMonkey) too but I can't get it to work consistently on my home network though (and Apple is supposed to be headache if not completely set-up free).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back