Believe it or not: Motorcycle biker's 205 mph ticket
Sep 27, 2004 at 5:22 PM Post #3 of 20
A stock one? Probably not.

It brings back memories. I was booked while slowing down (tried inadvertent near-stoppies at 130mph+, no? It's an experience) on my RC45.

Sep 27, 2004 at 6:24 PM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

The quarter mile time is wrong. Pro stock motorcycles do the quarter in 7.3s at 185mph. 4.4s is dragster time, past 300mph. http://www.sportrider.com/bikes/146_perf_nums/

1/4 mile already going @ 205

if he was doin a john force style sub 5 1/4 mile, it'd be closer to a trap speed of like 320 mph

anyways stock no the RC51 will not get that speed

however, downhill with a tail wind and a garret t25 @ 12 psi boost

sure
smily_headphones1.gif

then again I think Rossi's YZR-M1 may be capable of that speed

Sep 27, 2004 at 6:26 PM Post #6 of 20
Nope, and assuming it was possible, not on that road for sure. Not enough room for a hayabusa to get to 205 let alone a stock rc51.

Sep 27, 2004 at 7:13 PM Post #7 of 20
I believe what is meant that he was going:

0.25 mi in 4.39 seconds
which is saying:

1.00 mi per 17.56 seconds

x 3600 seconds/hr

= 205 mi / hr

They clocked him doing a constant speed, not an acceleration run (like dragster 1/4 mile).

I still don't believe it though...

Sep 27, 2004 at 7:23 PM Post #8 of 20
That bike is drag limited to about 165 mph and to go faster in stock form he would need to remove the mirrors and other pieces that cause wind resistance. Remember that this bike is a 133 HP V-Twin,notone of the 160+hp four cylinder bikes. Even with extensive mods,this bike would likely only reach 175 mph. Not only is the speed highly unlikely the quarter mile time is absolutely impossible. He'll beat that ticket with ease if the judge sticks to the facts of this case.

Sep 27, 2004 at 7:23 PM Post #9 of 20
I know it's very hard to see in this picture, but it slightly appears like the speedo on this bike, the LCD, does not even have the elements to show a leading '2', meaning the readout would max at 199 mph. (the little LCD elements are faintly visible in the off condition to make a '1', but I can't see where the other elements would be to make a 2...)

Has anyone sat on one? Is that correct?

pic10.jpg

If that were true, and the bike is stock, you could disprove this whole 205mph thing right there, no?
tongue.gif

Sep 27, 2004 at 7:29 PM Post #10 of 20
I totally agree with Tuberoller...

To top 200, you need HP, which is most efficiently generated at high RPM. It's a V-twin, gives you good torque at lower RPMs.. you need a 4 in-line to get the HP required for that speed, eg. the Hyabusa.

You would need to do insane modifications to the engine to increase the redline really high and bump up the power to closer to 200 HP...

Sep 27, 2004 at 8:02 PM Post #12 of 20
I just spent some time looking at the specs of the RC51 and not only is that bike not capable of such speed based on the lack of available power but it's just not geared for that speed. He would have to have changed not only sprocket gearing but the sixth gear ratios as well. With stock gearing the bike would have to turn 18,840 rpms and generate nearly 255 hp to reach 205 mph. I say this is just about impossible.

Sep 28, 2004 at 7:02 AM Post #13 of 20
i heard about this on the radio recently
and being a few hundred miles north i think it's possible

Sep 28, 2004 at 7:52 AM Post #14 of 20
Apparently this kid was a technician at the dealer he bought the bike from and is known as a hot rodder. (It says he worked at the dealer in the article). The guy prepares race bikes in his home garage and does work for some racers in the area. His work is known as some of the best and riders using his skills have won a few races. These tidbits(from the cycle forums) shed a new light on this whole thing. I'm pretty sure the bike was'nt stock now after learning that the guy mods race bikes for a living. I still think there was some serious error on the part of the clocking equipment. If they used laser I'm near certain the speed is incorrect. I've beaten laser tickets and I've seen others beat them based on erratic performance in changing light conditions and over very slick surfaces.

Sep 28, 2004 at 3:46 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuberoller
I still think there was some serious error on the part of tye clocking equipment. If they used laser I'm near certain the speed is incorrect. I've beaten laser tickets and I've seen others beat them based on erratic performance in changing light conditions and over very slick surfaces.

I believe he was clocked with a stopwatch from the air. The calculations that I saw showed that if the cop was early by only 0.5 seconds with the stopwatch, then the speed would come in at a more believeable 185.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back