Bel Canto DAC2: My "best" component!!
Jan 27, 2004 at 12:32 PM Post #16 of 28
Here's another happy DAC2 owner.

In my case different transports have made clear, decisive sonic differences (Audiolab 8000CDM vs. DVD 963SA, in favor of the latter).

peacesign.gif

Jan 27, 2004 at 3:45 PM Post #17 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by davidmiya
My current rig (before more stuff arrives in the mail) is:

NAD c541i --> Transparent Premium Coax --> Bel Canto DAC2 --> Cardas Microtwin --> Meta42 --> Sennheiser HD650.

I can seriously say that no component has made more of a difference than the Bel Canto. DAMN! Even with the lowly Meta42, the sound is authoritative and clear. There's hardly any harshness or mud that I usually get. Just to try things out, I tried swapping some Sony earbuds in place of my HD650's. Same conclusion. Crisp, clear sound.

I would go as far as to say that NAD/DAC2/Meta42/earbuds rivals my previous setup: NAD/PPA/HD600.

If you've got $1000 to drop, don't buy cables, don't buy power, don't even buy a high-end amp. Pick up a used HD580 or a pair of cheap Grados and buy yourself a nice external DAC. Either that, or get a Sony 555es modded.

Source is the REAL DEAL. Don't listen to all those whiners who talk about hearing miracles from their $2000 cables. On a modest setup like mine (and most likely yours), source is KING.

edit: If you've got more money to burn, think about some <$200 cables, a <$1000 amp, and maybe a <$150 power conditioner.

Source is indeed the key, it can very well be the reason why certain people diss perfectly good headphone / amp combo's.
With another, maybe better source they very well might decide differently and save themselves lots of money going through headphones / amps looking for that magic that just won't happen with their particular source, all IMHO ofcourse...

Jan 27, 2004 at 4:12 PM Post #18 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by Spent&Bent
Source is indeed the key, it can very well be the reason why certain people diss perfectly good headphone / amp combo's.
With another, maybe better source they very well might decide differently and save themselves lots of money going through headphones / amps looking for that magic that just won't happen with their particular source, all IMHO ofcourse...

I feel the same way. My source purchase has gone the longest way towards giving me better sound for my dollar.

Jan 27, 2004 at 11:53 PM Post #21 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by raif
hey davidmiya,
have you heard the benchmark dac1? Would you say that the bel canto is a definite improvement over the benchmark? Anyone who has heard both can feel free to respond.

Sorry, haven't heard the Benchmark. However, I must say that the amp and balanced-out functions were quite interesting. Had I not seen such a good deal on Audiogon, I might have taken the Benchmark DAC. ($1000 shipped for DAC2 and a Transparent Premium Coax).

Jan 28, 2004 at 12:25 AM Post #23 of 28
SOURCE SOURCE SOURCE SOURCE SOURCE SOURCE SOURCE SOURCE SOURCE SOURCE SOURCE SOURCE SOURCE SOURCE SOURCE SOURCE SOURCE SOURCE SOURCE SOURCE SOURCE SOURCE SOURCE SOURCE SOURCE SOURCE SOURCE SOURCE SOURCE SOURCE SOURCE SOURCE SOURCE SOURCE SOURCE SOURCE SOURCE SOURCE SOURCE SOURCE SOURCE SOURCE SOURCE SOURCE SOURCE SOURCE SOURCE SOURCE SOURCE SOURCE SOURCE SOURCE SOURCE SOURCE SOURCE SOURCE SOURCE SOURCE SOURCE SOURCE SOURCE SOURCE SOURCE SOURCE SOURCE SOURCE SOURCE SOURCE SOURCE SOURCE SOURCE SOURCE SOURCE SOURCE SOURCE SOURCE SOURCE SOURCE SOURCE SOURCE SOURCE SOURCE SOURCE SOURCE
And dont forget it!!

Jan 28, 2004 at 11:30 PM Post #24 of 28
KC,

Your source is a great one, aspecially at that price range.

A Belcanto DAC might not be an improvement in any respect.

Youd have to go for more expensive Items such as the Audio Aero, Or Mephisto Or perhaps an emc-1 DAC. Or maybe a accuphase 55v or 65v, or maybe even a 306(some actually prefer the 303/200 as they say it is more musical).

Youre in diminishing returns zone now!

k.s.

Jan 29, 2004 at 9:18 PM Post #27 of 28
My source was the single most expensive component in my system, and that's the way I like it. After it, it was my other source (if you include turntable and phono stage together), and then my speaker amp, then speakers, headphone amp, power conditioner, headphones then cables. I think this is a pretty logical way to do it. Obviously it is not an iron-clad rule, but a good general guide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back