Bel Canto DAC2: My "best" component!!
Jan 27, 2004 at 2:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

davidmiya

500+ Head-Fier
My current rig (before more stuff arrives in the mail) is:

NAD c541i --> Transparent Premium Coax --> Bel Canto DAC2 --> Cardas Microtwin --> Meta42 --> Sennheiser HD650.

I can seriously say that no component has made more of a difference than the Bel Canto. DAMN! Even with the lowly Meta42, the sound is authoritative and clear. There's hardly any harshness or mud that I usually get. Just to try things out, I tried swapping some Sony earbuds in place of my HD650's. Same conclusion. Crisp, clear sound.

I would go as far as to say that NAD/DAC2/Meta42/earbuds rivals my previous setup: NAD/PPA/HD600.

If you've got $1000 to drop, don't buy cables, don't buy power, don't even buy a high-end amp. Pick up a used HD580 or a pair of cheap Grados and buy yourself a nice external DAC. Either that, or get a Sony 555es modded.

Source is the REAL DEAL. Don't listen to all those whiners who talk about hearing miracles from their $2000 cables. On a modest setup like mine (and most likely yours), source is KING.

edit: If you've got more money to burn, think about some <$200 cables, a <$1000 amp, and maybe a <$150 power conditioner.

Jan 27, 2004 at 2:54 AM Post #2 of 28
Not completely true. Even well manufactured $50 cables (Headphile Silver) can make an average system sound more cleanly average.

Jan 27, 2004 at 2:56 AM Post #3 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by kartik
Not completely true. Even well manufactured $50 cables (Headphile Silver) can make an average system sound more cleanly average.

I would be hard pressed to do a DBT test with $10 Radio Shack Gold cables and my Cardas Microtwins $120.

edit: What's "cleanly average"?

Jan 27, 2004 at 3:04 AM Post #4 of 28
Dollar for dollar, a source is usually a better investment. I can almost always tell the difference between sources very quickly, whereas it takes time and experience to compare two cables. The differences between sources are just larger.

Jan 27, 2004 at 5:27 AM Post #7 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by pigmode
We may need to have another Hawaii meet soon.

Haha, I think me and Vert collectively own all the hi-fi headphone stuff on the island. Though, I'd like to hear your awsome speaker rig that Vert has been raving about
smily_headphones1.gif
(not to mention Vertigo's Stax setup)

Jan 27, 2004 at 5:56 AM Post #8 of 28
I have been considering the purchase of a Dac 2 given the great reviews i'm hearing.

If I do, I will not have much money, if any, for a transport. Can I make do with my NAD 515 Multi CDP for the time being? .....and does it make sense to connect the DAC2 to a Integra dtr-7.3 Surround receiver or should I be looking to connect it to a seperate amp?

Thanks in advance,

Wkies

Jan 27, 2004 at 6:20 AM Post #9 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by wkies
Can I make do with my NAD 515 Multi CDP for the time being? .

To tell you the truth, I really haven't noticed a big difference between my digital sources. For the heck of it, I tried hooking up the DAC2 to my Optimus CD-3400 portable cd player. I only noticed a slight loss of low-level detail and dynamics. Between my NAD c541i, computer, and Sony CDP, I heard minute differences that I'd have to listen hard to hear.

Pretty much any decent transport with relatively low jitter will work fine. NAD's supposedly deal with jitter rather well. Should be ok for now.

I haven't any experience in theater setups.. sorry
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 27, 2004 at 6:28 AM Post #10 of 28
I must say that I've really enjoyed listening to my friend's Bel Canto DAC2 on his Sony 9000ES. I have this same player and use the Perpetual Technologies P1-A and P3-A combo to do the same tasks. We've been meaning to do some A/B comparisons but time never seems to permit.

It's always nice to hear when someone finds a product that really makes them sit back and say, "Wow! What a great hobby this is!" (or something to that effect) and it seems that the DAC2 has done this for you. Enjoy!

Jan 27, 2004 at 7:12 AM Post #11 of 28
Might go for the Bel Canto in the long (ie. once I have a job) run. The smART is doing a pretty good job momentarily.

Though I'll second the notion that cables can make more of a difference than often given credit - Homegrown Audio's Silver Lace is a perfect example of a ~$100 cable that can make music sing.

Jan 27, 2004 at 7:27 AM Post #12 of 28
Source = King

biggrin.gif

Jan 27, 2004 at 7:45 AM Post #14 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by davidmiya
edit: What's "cleanly average"?

A joke. An average source will sound average no matter what the cables. A higher grade of cables make rich sources sound richer. SO I figured an average system would sound more average with better cables!
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back