Being Bilingual
Sep 8, 2015 at 8:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Spareribs

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm often impressed and amazed at people who are bilingual. It's amazing how the brain can work in this multi fascinated way of having conversations in two different languages, especially if the languages are very different like English and some type of Asian language. Even more impressive is at some of the airports where there are employees who can speak 3 languages! Wow. I mean their brains must be like computers or have some sort of super power. It just impresses me.

Sep 8, 2015 at 9:32 PM Post #4 of 16
Its easier to learn a language when your younger and you live in the environment or country of that language. It can also be just a dialect. There are countries with many dialects that are different from each other. Imagine living in LA with its own dialect and San Diego has a different dialect that you don't understand yet they're right next to each other geographically.

Sep 8, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #5 of 16
I am more impressed with brains and abilities of professional engineers and musicians and many other professions that require extreme brain power combined with fine delicate controls and precision. English is a second language to me, but deep inside I always have that wish of being able to speak English like native speakers do and understand the complex lyrics of some songs and reading many fine books that are not available in my language.

Sep 8, 2015 at 9:44 PM Post #6 of 16
American english is probably the language that keeps evolving. New words are created daily? Acronyms become common words like LOL, etc... in SMS. I can't even keep up. But it is a form of communication. In my industry there are so many acronyms that I have to learn and understand. And its the same in other fields.

Sep 8, 2015 at 10:00 PM Post #7 of 16
Good points. It's interesting how some people are good at learning other languages and how other people have a hard time. I think people's brains are different and some people do have a talent of learning other languages while others struggle.

Yes, it does help a lot if you live in an environment where people are speaking the second language but of course there some people who seem to struggle learning that 2nd language even when they are living in that foreign country. Yeah I know there are factors, maybe that person is not as ambitious and age can be a factor too.

One thing that fascinates me is how in Europe, many people speak English and their native language but of course, not everyone is bilingual. I think some people's brains have a hard time picking up a different language-this does not mean they are dumb. Perhaps they have a different talent in something else that can be impressive. I think the brain can be different for different individuals.

Sep 8, 2015 at 10:14 PM Post #8 of 16
I speak French,English and Filipino actually. Learning a new language is like learning a new skill really. It becomes automatic at one point.

Here's my own challenge though: my English brain appeals to my right hemisphere (loose and creative use odd words) and my French uses more the left hemisphere (strict, dry and functional). I seem to be more concise speaking french whereas my English may tend to confuse people if I'm speaking super casual (playful).

Sep 8, 2015 at 10:18 PM Post #9 of 16
That's interesting. Maybe because the English language is more prevalent in pop culture or in the arts. The English language can be crazy weird since so many people speak it.

Sep 8, 2015 at 10:42 PM Post #10 of 16
That's interesting. Maybe because the English language is more prevalent in pop culture or in the arts. The English language can be crazy weird since so many people speak it.

Perhaps. French in general is "tough to learn but easy to master" and English: "easy to learn, hard to master". When you write/conjugate in french you need to consider noun gender (a paper is feminine and pencil is masculine) and most sentences are formulated like a philosophical/mathematical proposition (If X=z, then y = d)...lol just kidding but it feels like that in general.

Sep 8, 2015 at 10:43 PM Post #11 of 16
Its how the brain works and its relation to survival and prolonging one's existence. If one is put in a situation where learning a new language equates to one's survival, you will learn the new language starting with the words that are most important.

Sep 8, 2015 at 11:58 PM Post #12 of 16
I work at the counter of a fast food restaurant.
In Singapore, generally speaking, many still do not use English, especially our older folks.

I will speak in English first when a customer approaches the counter.
If I happen to pick up any Mandarin (when two customers are standing together, e.g. parent-child or couple), I will use Mandarin next.

The same thing happens with our Malay-speaking staff.

Sep 9, 2015 at 12:36 AM Post #13 of 16
I'm French Canadian born & raised in Ottawa which is the capital city of Canada & in the province of Ontario.  The reason I point this out is because most French people in Canada come from the province of Quebec but in Quebec they learn practically no English whatsoever at school.  It's a provincial law called Bill 101; education is provincial jurisdiction & they feel they are protecting their culture by doing this but they are depriving the people of learning the international language of business : English.  In my case I had to learn English even though I was going to a French Catholic school because it was & still is mandatory.  I am so grateful because I have been exposed to both cultures & am fluently bilingual.  I have read great literature, watched movies & seen actors from different eras, listen to great musical artists, etc. in both French & English.  My wife is an anglophone & my two adult children are both fluently bilingual.  It opens up all sorts of horizons & possibilities so again, I consider myself very lucky & therefore am grateful.  It has enriched my life in so many ways.

A la prochaine mes amis Head-fi.

Old Groucho (Vieux Grincheux in French)

beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back