Beginning to think all this high end stuff is a con.
Feb 4, 2011 at 12:11 AM Post #138 of 174
Hi-end headphones are a con in the sense that once people identify themselves as sufficiently entranced by a certain section of the consumer market to spend a lot of money on it, manufacturers will set out to prey on their entrancement and extract as much money as they can from them. Happens in every niche market, every hobby except those sufficiently popular to have some clout, like maybe fishing (which also has trout), though I daresay there are outrageously expensive fishing rods too for the totally committed. It's called the consumerist free market, otherwise known as Capitalism. 

Feb 4, 2011 at 12:16 AM Post #139 of 174
But that goes to every section of consumerism... Gamers spend thousands of dollars on a build and continually update them. Then the games themselves cost usually at least $50, not to mention mmos which usually have a subscription... Then gaming mice and keyboards are expensive as well... 

There are people that spend hundreds of dollars a year on the newest cutting edge cellphones... 

Basically everything in a capitalist society is a ripoff... Either that or is junk. Lovely world we live in, isn't it?

Feb 4, 2011 at 12:17 AM Post #140 of 174
Quote:
kyuuketsuki said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

But that goes to every section of consumerism... Gamers spend thousands of dollars on a build and continually update them. Then the games themselves cost usually at least $50, not to mention mmos which usually have a subscription... Then gaming mice and keyboards are expensive as well... 

There are people that spend hundreds of dollars a year on the newest cutting edge cellphones... 

Basically everything in a capitalist society is a ripoff... Either that or is junk. Lovely world we live in, isn't it?

Hobbies are expensive unless your hobby is saving XD

But he thinks the HD650 is a con... We're not even beginning to get expensive yet. I mean Monster Beats cost about the same as the HD650 so we're far from what's less affordable than average.

Quote:
Hi-end headphones are a con in the sense that once people identify themselves as sufficiently entranced by a certain section of the consumer market to spend a lot of money on it, manufacturers will set out to prey on their entrancement and extract as much money as they can from them. Happens in every niche market, every hobby except those sufficiently popular to have some clout, like maybe fishing (which also has trout), though I daresay there are outrageously expensive fishing rods too for the totally committed. It's called the consumerist free market, otherwise known as Capitalism. 

Feb 4, 2011 at 12:21 AM Post #141 of 174
Guys, its only money. If you have a family, or a terminal illness, you probably have other priorities - if not, dont sweat it. Deciding between headphones and food/shelter should be a no-brainer (!), but the rest should be pretty straightforward - pay your bills then go straight to Amazon and prop up a flailing economy.

Now if we can just get the Japanese buying Grados, the world will heal itself.

Feb 4, 2011 at 12:33 AM Post #142 of 174
Quote:
Guys, its only money. If you have a family, or a terminal illness, you probably have other priorities - if not, dont sweat it. Deciding between headphones and food/shelter should be a no-brainer (!), but the rest should be pretty straightforward - pay your bills then go straight to Amazon and prop up a flailing economy.

I can't see many Asians buying Grados. Grados just don't match Asian pop.

Feb 4, 2011 at 12:51 AM Post #143 of 174

Quote:

I dunno - have seen a few Grados in Bangkok and Singapore, but its hard to tell whats 'audiophile' and what's just a fashion statement. Its all moving so fast in SE Asia.

Feb 4, 2011 at 7:59 AM Post #144 of 174
In hong kong i saw someone wearing an ED8 on the streets...hope it didnt get stolen

Feb 5, 2011 at 7:57 PM Post #145 of 174

Quote:
In hong kong i saw someone wearing an ED8 on the streets...hope it didnt get stolen

Haha, omg. If the average citizen is as knowledgeable about headphones as most of us are, I can't imagine he lasted more than an hour without having been beaten up. 

Feb 5, 2011 at 9:41 PM Post #146 of 174

Quote:
Quote:

But they match really well with the B'z! Not sure about enka though... But regardless... pop is not the most popular music in japan... it is actually enka, then rock. We here stateside just don't hear much about it.

Feb 5, 2011 at 11:23 PM Post #148 of 174
Feb 6, 2011 at 12:01 AM Post #149 of 174

Quote:

I don't think anyone capable of mugging someone would have any idea what the ED8 is.  If you've been to a head-fi meet, you know what I mean. 
cool.gif

Feb 6, 2011 at 12:03 AM Post #150 of 174
Quote:

I don't think anyone capable of mugging someone would have any idea what the ED8 is.  If you've been to a head-fi meet, you know what I mean. 
cool.gif

Touche. There's definitely little worry at most meets. (Hopefully it can stay that way.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back