Beginner looking for earphones
Jul 30, 2010 at 12:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Turtle

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, I've recently just started learning about headphones/earphones.  I'm looking for a pair of earbuds that provide good quality sound. I already own a pair of Bose around-ears headphones and I know Bose isn't quite welcomed here so just putting it out there first for sake of future comparisons, I'm no audiophile and it would be awesome to learn more about which earphones out there can sound alot better than what I have right now.

My source is a ipod touch most of the time or my laptop so I'm looking for earbuds which wont' require an amp to reach it's max potential.  The genres I usually listens to are pop/rock/hiphop.  Something which can pack some bass but will not be overpowering when I listen to other genres of music.
My budget is around $150 and all suggestions are much appreciated! Thanks :)

Jul 30, 2010 at 1:58 PM Post #2 of 7
I would recommend you take some time to go listen to different headphones at a retailer near you, if you are willing to do so. 

There isn't a substitute for hearing them yourself. What you hear will be different in important ways from everyone else, due to physiology, and then your preferred sound signature will be different than someone else. 

If you can find a few phones you really like the sound of, you can ask for recommendations along the lines of those phones, and will have much better luck getting good advice.

In ear phones are very different from headphones... the way they present music is different, and takes getting used to. Some people can't stand them, and some people love them. Only way to find out which category you are in is to try em out.

From personal experience in listening, I found that the phones I really liked cost $30, $150, and $400... and ruled out a whole slew of others running from 0-$500... in general, the more expensive phones I liked sound better than the less expensive ones... but there are plenty of very costly phones I didn't like, or which didn't fit well, or whatever... and I prefer the $30 phones to the $150 ones. 

Price is a decent indicator of quality (with notable exceptions), but a poor indicator of preferences.

Jul 30, 2010 at 2:07 PM Post #3 of 7
I'm in the same situation looking for some new IEM's, just as OP have iPod Touch, and listen to same genres. 

Currently got the PL11 which is not too bad but for me lacks the oomph in the bass and soundstage. 

Jul 31, 2010 at 8:37 AM Post #4 of 7
Ok thanks for all the advice grimloki.  That helped me alot.  What are some retail stores that would carry earbuds that I can try out myself?  I plan to go to them within the next month since I'm out of the country right now but will come home soon.

Jul 31, 2010 at 11:37 AM Post #5 of 7
32ohm audio was kind enough to let me try out IEMs, but they are only in Portland, OR. For headphones, lots of places. If you find a headphone you like, it's easier to find an IEM with similar characteristics. I would look up boutique audio places around you. Ask them if there is a place that will let you listen to a few iems or headphones of decent quality around you. Generally the knowledge and customer service in a place like that is far better than guitar center or the like.

Head-fi meets in your area might be coming up. That's a chance to meet lots of great people, and listen to new stuff.

Jul 31, 2010 at 7:46 PM Post #6 of 7
klipsch custom 3 ,or ie7 is my recommendation
beerchug.gif

Quote:
Hi guys, I've recently just started learning about headphones/earphones.  I'm looking for a pair of earbuds that provide good quality sound. I already own a pair of Bose around-ears headphones and I know Bose isn't quite welcomed here so just putting it out there first for sake of future comparisons, I'm no audiophile and it would be awesome to learn more about which earphones out there can sound alot better than what I have right now.

My source is a ipod touch most of the time or my laptop so I'm looking for earbuds which wont' require an amp to reach it's max potential.  The genres I usually listens to are pop/rock/hiphop.  Something which can pack some bass but will not be overpowering when I listen to other genres of music.
My budget is around $150 and all suggestions are much appreciated! Thanks :)

Aug 2, 2010 at 2:56 AM Post #7 of 7
@lucozade
thanks for those recommendations. i'll look more into the custom 3's since the ie7's are too expensive for me :x

@grimloki
how do i find out about when there will be head-fi meets in my area?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back