before i pull the trigger...
Mar 7, 2010 at 4:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

mastapro

100+ Head-Fier
on these ATH-m50s.. i just wanna be absolutely sure this is the right headphone for me. i will use it on my laptop and ipod. i am a listener of mainly rap/hiphop/techno. the most expensive headphones i've ever owned are the H150's ($30). also, when i demoed Dr. Dre beats and bose headphones at bestbuy, i liked the sound quality. so should i pull the trigger?

PS: is there any other better deal than the $105 on ebay?

Mar 7, 2010 at 4:15 AM Post #2 of 17
The other (closed) headphones that come to mind near that price are the Shure SRH440. If you want open headphones (generally better sound quality because they have to make less compromises) I'd go for the Alessandro MS1i, but if you want to know more about those you should ask in the full size forum.

Because this is a portable forum I might recommend the Panasonic HJE900 in that price range as well. Very highly reputed phones.

Mar 7, 2010 at 4:24 AM Post #3 of 17
You'll be happy with them!

Mar 7, 2010 at 4:30 AM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by semisight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The other (closed) headphones that come to mind near that price are the Shure SRH440. If you want open headphones (generally better sound quality because they have to make less compromises) I'd go for the Alessandro MS1i, but if you want to know more about those you should ask in the full size forum.

Because this is a portable forum I might recommend the Panasonic HJE900 in that price range as well. Very highly reputed phones.

are u recommending those because you think they're better than the m50s? dammit ur making me want to rethink buying these immediately and look around more lol

EDIT: those Shure 440's look really good, can anyone comment on the difference between the m50 and those?

Mar 7, 2010 at 4:36 AM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by mastapro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
are u recommending those because you think they're better than the m50s? dammit ur making me want to rethink buying these immediately and look around more lol

EDIT: those Shure 440's look really good, can anyone comment on the difference between the m50 and those?

keep in mind the 440 is not portable at all. It has really heavy coiled cords.

Mar 7, 2010 at 4:36 AM Post #6 of 17
I don't know anything about the m50s actually. I'm an obsessive researcher so I always look at a lot of choices before buying, sorry about the confusion
tongue.gif
. The MS1i is a very highly reputed full size headphone; I haven't heard it but if it's anything like its little brother the SR60 I'd get a pair and never let them go (until I saved the money for the MS2i).

The shures are closed back so they isolate like the m50. They have a flat, monitor like sound so you could probably cross them off your list. The HJE900 are in ear phones which I just threw in there if you wanted to use the phones while on the move.

Mar 7, 2010 at 4:49 AM Post #7 of 17
thanks for ur reply, ya i still think i'm leaning towards the m50 but im gonna wait for a couple more responses, and about those HJE900, i just ordered some jvc marshmallows so those will do for now

Mar 7, 2010 at 4:54 AM Post #8 of 17
There are so many threads about the ATH-M50 and Shure SRH440, might want to do a search. Also, you'd probably get more responses in the Headphone section.

And another tip, a lot of the M50 sellers on eBay will accept offers around $90.

Mar 7, 2010 at 5:01 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by lc483 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are so many threads about the ATH-M50 and Shure SRH440, might want to do a search. Also, you'd probably get more responses in the Headphone section.

And another tip, a lot of the M50 sellers on eBay will accept offers around $90.

i have done many searches, i've looked at literally over 30 threads and reviews over a week... i just want to make absolutely sure because i am not an audiophile and this is a lot of money

EDIT: ya i'm probably gonna make a thread in the headphone section... my bad

Mar 7, 2010 at 7:30 AM Post #10 of 17
Yea back last year when I was trying to pick a headphone for hip hop and rap I was gonna pick from the M50s or the Equation RP21s (got the Equations because I was too hasty to save up an extra 20 bucks).

People generally say that they are pretty good and have nice bass. You won't be disappointed
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 9, 2010 at 3:10 AM Post #13 of 17
ya i hope so haha.. idk how i would react if i wasted almost $100 on headphones if they sucked.. i'm also receiving my marshmallows this week.. prob not gonna kramer them tho cuz i dont wanna mess them up

Mar 9, 2010 at 9:04 PM Post #15 of 17
Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb. They don't need an amp, but will require a little added volume. But when you have enough juice running to them....you will be quite happy. The bass will open up after some usage also.

Comfortably Numb is a song that I use on every single headphone I own...because there is so much detail in the song. It'll let you know quickly what you're dealing with. Enjoy! I sure enjoy mine!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back