Before Head-Fi I was a BASSHEAD, were you?
Oct 6, 2006 at 12:25 AM Post #46 of 66
i find i have an even deeper appreciation for low-end; and accurate, deep, solid low end is key to experiencing great music, especially a lot of my favorite stand-up base jazz

big-thumping-honda civic-sony xplod-rattling-trunk bass is just the thing that will destroy the clarity and beauty that can be had in the low end; jumbling it all together into an ambiguous mess of mono-tonal crap, and also greatly intrude into your midrange

miles davis wanted you to here those subtlties, don't **** with miles!

Oct 6, 2006 at 1:29 AM Post #47 of 66
I think I am still a basshead. It depends on the genre. I have a different set of SQ requirement for each of the genres I listen to. Bass is all I care about in hiphop for example. Before I was only listening to hiphop and rock, but now I expanded to jazz and classic as well.

Oct 6, 2006 at 1:55 AM Post #49 of 66
Still is a bit of a bass head from time to time. I guess you need some fun bass from time to time from headphones like KSC75 and AKG K81 DJ to keep commuting interesting.

Oct 6, 2006 at 1:56 AM Post #50 of 66
Never was one. I always thought that too strong of a bass distorted the upper ranges.

Oct 6, 2006 at 3:34 AM Post #51 of 66
Through head-fi I discovered I was a basshead. But now that I know, I perfer a tight clean bass to bass impact. Still a basshead, just in a different way. I tend to like good highs and good lows, mids are nice too but I tend to pay more attention to accents and basslines.

Oct 6, 2006 at 10:42 AM Post #53 of 66
Before I came here I used a classic "V" EQ setting, ignoring the mids in favor of full bass and treble. Now I generally add just a tad of both.

Oct 6, 2006 at 2:52 PM Post #54 of 66
I was never a
basshead.gif
- I've always been after accuracy.

I went through my home theater stage before I ended up with a stereo, music only set up, then out of necessity got into headphones.

The reason I like the Grado HP-1,2 over the PS-1 aside from the seemingly artifically smooth treble of the PS-1, was the PS-1's bass seemed unrealisticly
basshead.gif
basshead.gif

The GS-1000 is a little this way too. My GS-1000 goes against my accuracy goals compared to my K-1000 and HP-2, but I just love the romantic musicality and the rock solid thick bass. So, maybe I do have a little
basshead.gif
in me after all.

Oct 6, 2006 at 4:57 PM Post #56 of 66
I love all spectrums of the audio frequency, same as I prefer to see in all colours of the visual spectrum too. Denouncing one over the other makes no sense to me.

That said, I'd have to say I probably used to favour the wrong kind of bass (ie: poorly controlled, quantity vs quality.)

Oct 6, 2006 at 5:29 PM Post #58 of 66
I was into the sony fontopia (ex-71 or whatever) before i was a head-fi member. The cords broke due to extensive listening so I've had about 4-5 of those. I bought Koss the plug once but threw them away the same day they arrived =)

I'm using my computer for composing music and was looking for some good headphone. Had broken my Philips SBC HP-800 (?), which still is a really good headphone considering the price IMO. I saw a "really expensive one" (hd-650) in some shop and searched for reviews, so i stumbled upon head-fi.org. Since then I've used shure e3c, e5c and currently HD-650 and e500.. instead of the Sony.

Detail and accuracy is important. Bass is nice, but the punch should be exactly where it's supposed to.

Oct 7, 2006 at 7:00 AM Post #59 of 66
I joined headfi.org when my university store refused me to return a crappy neckband headphone which they totally ripped me off at $50. I got so pissed I was determined not to limit myself to crappy headphones again. Here I am with my GS-1000 listening to Ryuichi Sakamoto!!

Oct 7, 2006 at 8:28 PM Post #60 of 66
I used to be basshead, probably because that was the only part of the spectrum that I had heard in "high quality" form (Or it was the part that I was exposed to the most in "high quality" form). Then I heard the SAx000 series and some electrostats. I'm more in favor of a neutral presentation now (Or as close to that as possible), but if I had to choose one part I'd say I'm a treblehead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back