Beethoven 9th - Ode to Joy - Best recording
Sep 22, 2006 at 1:02 PM Post #16 of 17
Osmo Vänskä's new Beethoven 9th has just gotten the 10/10 from Hurwitz today. He notes that it is "stunningly played and sung." Vänskä's first two entries into the Beethoven cycle stakes were both excellent (Symphonies 4&5 and Symphonies 3&8) so this is not completely unexpected. In addition, it has the terrific SACD sound quality so I think this one is going to be a must have.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'd also like to put in a vote for Blomstedt's recording with the Staatskapelle Dresden (Brilliant Classics). That is possibly one of the best sung 9ths I've ever heard and it also has the wonderful sound of the DSK to go along with that singing. Although it was taken from an analog recording, the tape hiss isn't as bad as on some other recordings. The budget price for the cycle also helps it along.

Nov 6, 2016 at 5:18 PM Post #17 of 17
Someone have heard the live version of Zubin Mehta and the New York Philharmonic???.. For me is the best of the best in the musical performance/sound recording ratio.. May be not the best interpretation and may be not the best recording but the best of the best in the ratio..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back