Been doin a little shoppin...
May 5, 2004 at 2:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

sp1N

100+ Head-Fier
Ok, so I've been doing a little shopping here and there just trying to see what's out there. I've checked a few of the sponsors for this site out to see what they have, and I'm kinda surprised as to how many products there really are out there for this kinda market. What I found was a couple of models from Audiotechnica (ATH-A500, ATH-A900, ATH-AD5, ATH-AD7). I was just wondering what the people here who own one of these cans (looking more at the AD5's and AD7's) what they think. I know that in the end, it's my ear's own decision, but I still kinda have to go by something from here because I know you guys can kinda steer me in the right direction.

Since we're on the subject, I guess I'll ask you all what are some good light-weight cans. The reason I ask is because I'm still kinda just lookin around and whatnot. I'm looking for some circumaural cans that make very little to no contact with your ears themselves that just sound great overall. Other than that, that's it. I think it's safe to say that the can bug has bit me good
600smile.gif
. Anywho, thanks in advance.

May 5, 2004 at 3:11 AM Post #3 of 16
What's the difference between those two sets respectively (other than they look different)?

May 5, 2004 at 3:21 PM Post #4 of 16
People who have had Audiotechnica cans:

Could you tell me how the ear cups fit over your ears? Does anything ever touch your ears? How does that head cushioning system work? Is that comfortable?

May 5, 2004 at 4:42 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by sp1N

Could you tell me how the ear cups fit over your ears? Does anything ever touch your ears? How does that head cushioning system work? Is that comfortable?

For me I don't have big ears, so the only thing on the AT cans that rests on my ears are the pads. The cans fits nice and snug on my head with no clamping pressure as some people with large heads might experience. The head cushioning system helps the cans to stay positioned right above your ears without adding additional pressure on your ears. Theres really no add pressure felt on your head from the head cushioning system IMO. It might take a little getting used to at first but then afterwards it isn't noticeable. To me the AT cans are the next most comfortable cans that I have besides my Sony CD3K's.

May 5, 2004 at 10:30 PM Post #6 of 16
I have ATH-A500...

I think they're really comfy and they even fit completely over (do not touch at all) my ears, which are probably a bit on the large side. I've very happy with these phones.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 5, 2004 at 10:50 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by sp1N

Could you tell me how the ear cups fit over your ears? Does anything ever touch your ears?

My W1000 drivers actually put pressure on my ears, and for that I got rid of them. I had high hopes for them, but they were sold within 24 hours of their arrival.

May 5, 2004 at 11:20 PM Post #8 of 16
My ears are about 2 7/8 inches big (??) and they fit inside the earpads, if that's what you're wondering. The "silkish" covering over the driver that stretches across the inside of the pad is sometimes annoying, but not all the time, I don't know if anybody else has had an issue with this, I wouldn't let it detract from my opinion since my ears barely fit inside the D66 Eggos that I have and I still like them.

May 6, 2004 at 12:13 AM Post #9 of 16
i have the a900's and they are HUGE! i have big ears..so-called "buddah" ears..but my ears fit in there. the cups of the a900's are approx 2.5 inches long so about 6 cm's or so. about 2 inches in width. around 5 cm's..my measurements are not perfect. Obviously my length and width are messed up..well, maybe .5cm at most..i believe...but theyre big. my ears are like 2.5 inches long or so and they fit in there without having my ears smashed or anything.

May 6, 2004 at 3:27 AM Post #10 of 16
Thanks for your replies. I was also wondering about the inner padding (between your ear and the driver) if that was touching your ears or not. It's not really a big deal, as long as the rest of the cup doesn't touch.

I've done a little more looking at the AT cans and was wondering how much of a difference in sound quality there was between the A500s vs. A700s vs. A900. Is it like night and day, or is it more subtle than that? I ask because, I'm possibly looking into getting some better closed cans than my v600s. Another thing I was wondering was that since a couple of those cans are getting into slightly higher impendence, should I be worrying at all about getting an amp for them to sound correctly?

May 6, 2004 at 1:01 PM Post #11 of 16
Does no one have AT cans or something? I need some help here guys. I've been reading somemore on the forums here and everyone seems to say that even my HD570s are crap. I'm looking for comfy cans (closed or open, I'm too intrigued to care at this point) in the $100-$150 range that do not require an amp (I might be able to stretch it to $200 if its really worth it). All I'm asking for is some input and comparison to my HD570s.

May 6, 2004 at 1:19 PM Post #12 of 16
Since you already have the Sen HD 570's I would go for the Sen HD 595 or the AT A900's, depending on whether you want open or closed. I don't think the others you mentioned would be enough of an upgrade to bother with. The Senns are the winners when it comes to comfort. The AT's are BIG.

May 6, 2004 at 11:52 PM Post #13 of 16
So my HD570 cans are almost as good/just as good/better than the A500/A700? Would the A900s require an amp? Would the HD595s?

May 7, 2004 at 12:05 AM Post #14 of 16
No, I wouldn't say the 570's are as good as the A500's. All the headphones you mentioned are better than the 570's, it's just that I don't think it would be worth spending money on an improvement that wouldn't be obvious, which is why I would recommend the 595 or A900 in this case. Neither of these "require" an amp but an amp would bring out their potential, as would a good source.

May 7, 2004 at 1:07 AM Post #15 of 16
Ok, so if you compared the HD570s to any of those 3 cans from AT, why would you choose the ATs over the Senns? And for the sake of comparison, what sort of source/amp/whateverthehellelseyoucanthrowonanaudiosetupbefore itgetstoyourcans setup do you have. Also, what sort of stuff will you be listening to when you use your setup.

I'll begin from where I'm coming from.

1.) I use my setup primarily for gaming and listening to some music (might get into listening to my stereo more and more since I'm getting tired of all the audio artifacts in all my mp3s.)

2.) See my sig for how my audio goes from source to cans.

3.) The critical thing I look for in cans right now is positional reproduction. I also look for how "natural" and crisp the audio sounds overall are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back