Bee Gees Trafalgar MFSL vs original release?
Jul 30, 2008 at 2:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Arjisme

500+ Head-Fier
Has anyone here heard the MFSL version of the Bee Gee's Trafalgar vs. the original release on CD? Is the MFSL version markedly better? If so, can you say in what way?

Trafalgar has always been a favorite album of mine. I first owned it in cassette form when I was a kid. I now have it in LP but was wanting to get a CD of it. Turns out it is out of print, so I shopped both eBay and Amazon. I decided to buy an excellent condition, used original release CD.

Got it yesterday, ripped it and listened to it today (my portable rig is virtually the only way I listen to music anymore). It was great hearing it again but the mix was a disappointment. The vocals are very forward with the instruments being somewhat lifeless, relegated to a flat, punchless, recessed place. I'm listening to this on my iRiver H-120->cMoy->Shure E500s. Most things, old and new, sound very good on this setup. But this CD disappoints because I know it can have a lot more life than it does, but the mix just kills it. It is like listening to FM at reduced volume somewhat.

Anyhow, I was hoping maybe the MFSL release of this might improve things. I know they don't remix the tracks but, still, maybe it improves it anyhow? I hate to shell out the $50+ necessary to buy an MFSL copy if it really won't improve things significantly.

So, if you've heard both or even just the MFSL release, I'd be interested in your opinions as to the sound.

TIA!

Jul 30, 2008 at 1:19 PM Post #2 of 5
The MFSL is pretty glorious, considered one of their better efforts. I haven't listened to it in a long time, but I definitely remember being absolutely knocked out by it.

Jul 30, 2008 at 5:59 PM Post #3 of 5
Seriously? Wow, I was hoping, but not expecting an answer like that. Thanks very much! I guess I am going to go shopping for a copy!

Aug 1, 2008 at 1:45 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatcat28037 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's listed on Amazon, used like new for $58.

Amazon.com: Used and New: Trafalgar

Yeah, I saw that and think that is how I'll buy it. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back