Bedroom Audio
Jun 27, 2015 at 10:00 AM Post #16 of 32
so, i went to one shop in Bangkok that sells Dali speakers (that I know of), since the Zensor 1 price dropped to about 240$. took me 10 minutes to order...they sounded just great with this price that was a must. 

now waiting for them to arrive, as it is by shop order. anyway, thinking weather to just get a switcher and pull cables to my bedroom first. then look for decent amp for them.

If anyone has any direction, please post, if not, thanks for all the tips until now.

Jun 27, 2015 at 10:26 AM Post #17 of 32
  so, i went to one shop in Bangkok that sells Dali speakers (that I know of), since the Zensor 1 price dropped to about 240$. took me 10 minutes to order...they sounded just great with this price that was a must. 

now waiting for them to arrive, as it is by shop order. anyway, thinking weather to just get a switcher and pull cables to my bedroom first. then look for decent amp for them.

If anyone has any direction, please post, if not, thanks for all the tips until now.

Given the size of the D3020 that you have, I'm inclined to just move that around and just have banana plugs to make it easier to switch speaker cables (and not leave exposed copper to oxidize easily). You're likely to use a power strip in your room, so just leave a spare power cable plugged in there. Leave the speaker cables and power cables on a table that's easily accessible, and it'll be easier to switch them out when you take the amp from one location to the other.

Jun 28, 2015 at 8:38 AM Post #19 of 32
Another cool solution was the Teac amp i was once considering. It has some pretty nice features and the remote control means you don't have to get up to adjust the volume. Pretty nice buy but would pass your budget with what you spent already just a little bit. The model i was considering is the Teac AH01-S. Can find it for around 3-400$. You might be able to find that around you.

Jun 28, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #21 of 32
Since my mb air is connected to the NAD, I can control itunes (all lossless) with my phone/ipad. I'm now mainly using Tidal hifi, but no remote for it yet.
I did test bt , it's ok but with some drops.
On a side note, there's a weird problem with my xperia z3 sending music to the NAD- it won't control the volume regardless of distance, it can either go to mute or mid volume, but not in between. From the ipad it's fine, but there's no aptx there...so sticking to itunes and waiting/hoping for Tidal remote app for bedroom.

Eventually I will get a second amp, but want to start with the double zone. I might wait until i'm ready to upgrade the Paradigms, get a higher amp for the new speakers, then move the NAD to the BR. But that's in 1-2 years, and budget dependent.

thanks

Jun 28, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #22 of 32
Before I bought the NAD, I was also testing the Teac. They are priced very closely here, the Teac is even more expensive, I guess because it is imported by small audio shops and NAD is in the big malls. 

Jun 28, 2015 at 1:56 PM Post #23 of 32

I've never heard them, but everything I've read suggests that they are a very good speaker for the price, and it certainly sounds like you got a good deal. I know that your Mini Monitor 7s are generally considered a higher tier speaker than these Zensor 1s, but I'll be curious to see how you feel that they compare :)

Jun 29, 2015 at 12:54 AM Post #24 of 32
I've never heard them, but everything I've read suggests that they are a very good speaker for the price, and it certainly sounds like you got a good deal. I know that your Mini Monitor 7s are generally considered a higher tier speaker than these Zensor 1s, but I'll be curious to see how you feel that they compare
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes, I was thinking about the Atoms as a 2nd pair, since they are the same brand and excellent too, but the Dali's sounded just great, and I actually asked the seller if there was no sub playing somewhere. It was a nice weighty bass and the rest of the sound sounded real (this is what I get with the Mini 7s- a physical sense of sound, if that makes sense)
I'm sure I will do a lot of comparisons, which is part of the fun.but it will take about 2 months...

Jun 30, 2015 at 4:01 AM Post #25 of 32
Anyone knows the Audioengine N22? will it be enough to drive the Zensor 1s? This might be more convenient then pulling cables+switch, and i'm still in less than 500$ budget.

thanks

Jun 30, 2015 at 4:47 AM Post #26 of 32
  Anyone knows the Audioengine N22? will it be enough to drive the Zensor 1s? This might be more convenient then pulling cables+switch, and i'm still in less than 500$ budget.

At 86.5dB from 1watt at 1m away, I wouldn't bet on it. However if you manage your expectations and don't expect to have the more eye-popping percussion hits as with the D3020 driving the Paradigms, and instead you'll play mostly the kinds of songs that will help you sleep, I'd say it's totally usable.

Jun 30, 2015 at 11:05 AM Post #28 of 32

Stereophile's measurements showed the Zensor 1s to be just a bit easier to drive than Dali's specifications, at 88dB(B)/2.83V/m. For nearfield usage, could be fine. Depends on your listening volume.

You pay a bit for the name with Audioengine. These Indeed digital amps are a better value for those of us in the US (not sure about for you): http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-2014-Indeed-Class-D-Amp-TDA7498E-160WX2-Stereo-Amplifier-36V5A-adapter-BLK-/291074046376. Specs are at least comparable to the N22. I have a couple of Indeed's t-amps. Excellent products.

Jun 30, 2015 at 10:54 PM Post #29 of 32
Stereophile's measurements showed the Zensor 1s to be just a bit easier to drive than Dali's specifications, at 88dB(B)/2.83V/m. For nearfield usage, could be fine. Depends on your listening volume.

You pay a bit for the name with Audioengine. These Indeed digital amps are a better value for those of us in the US (not sure about for you): http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-2014-Indeed-Class-D-Amp-TDA7498E-160WX2-Stereo-Amplifier-36V5A-adapter-BLK-/291074046376. Specs are at least comparable to the N22. I have a couple of Indeed's t-amps. Excellent products.

Thanks, it looks like a good option, I can order it from ebay with free shipment. The usage is more than nearfield, mostly from bed. maybe 0.7 meter facing it, so 2.5-3m, but the room is not big, so this setup should be ok.

Jul 1, 2015 at 12:51 AM Post #30 of 32
Thanks, it looks like a good option, I can order it from ebay with free shipment. The usage is more than nearfield, mostly from bed. maybe 0.7 meter facing it, so 2.5-3m, but the room is not big, so this setup should be ok.

If you aren't expecting it to blast you out of the room, I'm sure it will be pretty good :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back