Bedroom Audio
Jun 24, 2015 at 12:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

obb2015

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I am looking to put a small audio system in my bedroom, been listening to a few powered speakers and my top 2 choices are Audioengine A2+ and q accoustics BT3. The problem is that I keep comparing the sound to my living room system, which is a Paradigm mini monitors 7 with an NAD D3020- both awesome as my first entry to real audio.

So, what can be the closest to this, up to 500$ budget? Or do I need to change my expectations for a secondary night/weekend system?

Thanks!

Jun 24, 2015 at 2:53 AM Post #2 of 32
  Hi,

I am looking to put a small audio system in my bedroom, been listening to a few powered speakers and my top 2 choices are Audioengine A2+ and q accoustics BT3. The problem is that I keep comparing the sound to my living room system, which is a Paradigm mini monitors 7 with an NAD D3020- both awesome as my first entry to real audio.

So, what can be the closest to this, up to 500$ budget? Or do I need to change my expectations for a secondary night/weekend system?

Thanks!

You'll need to manage your expectations. For one, you're comparing a speaker that uses a 6.5in midwoofer to mini speakers that use 3in and 4in drivers; second, your budget there is just the amplifier in your main system.

If you want to stick with that budget but want to get close to the sound of the MiniMonitor 7, the first step is to use a speaker of comparable size so you get a more comparable frequency response range. To get one with a good enough (though not similar) response curve, one option would be to stick with used speakers and local pick up - look for the likes of the Focal 706, Wharfedale Pi10 or Diamond x.2, etc, then use a relatively affordable amp like the ones made by Topping.

If you're after convenience, PartsExpress sells a Dayton T-amp that comes with a BT receiver ($70, I think), and one other, more powerful T-amp with a built-in BT receiver ($200). Use the rest on the speakers, just make sure that in case you get the Dayton amp you need a 90dB sensitivity speaker since it's the TA2024 T-amp.

If you're fine with headphones and you're fine with not using wireless, you can go even cheaper - the set-up below costs around $200, excluding the smartphone which you likely have (DAC-HPamp, $100; headphone - $55; dock, OTG cable - $25-ish; new version of that amp is $119 and comes with a short OTG cable).

Jun 24, 2015 at 3:15 AM Post #3 of 32
Thanks,
great answer, it will give me some direction.

Probably will look for a T amp and check cheaper bookshelves with it. 

another thing I was thinking is to wait a few months, move the main one to the bedroom and invest in a new main system. Then I have to see what will be a good upgrade from the mini monitor 7 (maybe the studio 20?)

Best,
O.

Jun 24, 2015 at 4:32 AM Post #4 of 32
Like Protege said, i would looking into a T-amp. I own three of them and absolutely love them. I currently have a Topping TP-20, and a Lepai LP7498E. And that extra power from the Lepai, coupled with that sweet T amp sound is awesome. Also, you don't "need" big speakers for a big sound, my Teac MS-90's (with a 4 inch kevlar woofer) definitely compete with my KEF Chorale III's and even my Energy CB-10's as far as how "big" they sound on the Lepai, only to loose in the bass quantity department. The Lepai even offers bluetooth connectivity (though not as good sounding as directly through the rca's out back). Parts Express carries it. I bought it on knowing the general sound of T's and the good reviews and have no single regret with that purchase. And, that would leave you with 400$ roughly to pick some really respectable speakers.

Jun 24, 2015 at 5:36 AM Post #5 of 32
  Thanks,
great answer, it will give me some direction.

Probably will look for a T amp and check cheaper bookshelves with it. 

another thing I was thinking is to wait a few months, move the main one to the bedroom and invest in a new main system. Then I have to see what will be a good upgrade from the mini monitor 7 (maybe the studio 20?)

I'd be more inclined to go with this one, especially if you have a bit more room in your main listening area. For example if you can put a system there built around the Magnepan Super MMG and an extra bass panel in there based on room size and how deep your wallet is, then I'd rather put up something like that in there.

Otherwise, for $500, around $100 to $150 on a good T-amp leaves you enough money for decent used speakers, you just need to be patient. Or go really cheap and look for the really cheap Dayton standmount speakers and get the Dayton T-amp with BT receiver, all for under $150, then just save the rest of your cash.

Jun 24, 2015 at 5:53 AM Post #6 of 32
thanks,

so a Lepai would be enough for decent bookshelves? I like the Paradigm sound, I could go with Atoms for 400$, which has the same signature, with less bass. another option is the 200$ Pioneer pair (forgot the model)

I live in Thailand, and can't find Dayton here, would love to listen to them, but I am sticking to models I can audition here...

Jun 24, 2015 at 6:45 AM Post #7 of 32

so a Lepai would be enough for decent bookshelves?

As long as they have 90db or higher sensitivity you can even use the smallest Lepai amp. There's also a 100wpc model with built-in Bluetooth.

I live in Thailand, and can't find Dayton here, would love to listen to them, but I am sticking to models I can audition here...

Can you easily find the Lepai amps there, as well as the Pioneer speakers? The Dayton and Pioneer speakers and all T-amps (Dayton and Lepai) that Kalypso and I posted are available off PartsExpress; that's what we're both using to look for cheap stuff, although I'm in SEAsia where I haven't seen any of these locally (although if I need to I can use a cargo forwarding service in the US to order from PartsExpress).

If you're here in SEAsia try to look for a local store that carries Wharfedale (like where you got the Paradigms from) and audition the Diamond 10.2 or 10.1. If you like those you can save a bit of money compared to the Atoms; prices of Wharfedales are cheaper in SEAsia vs everywhere else (including internet retailers).

Also, you can enable your location to be visible, just edit your profile (look at the upper right corner of my posts) so next time you ask people can take into account where you are right off the bat; although at best they'll likely have to ask what's available there because, well, we wouldn't know.

Jun 24, 2015 at 6:59 AM Post #8 of 32
I suggest go for a nice active speaker like a Emotiva. There was a really good review of one that costs about $400 recently on Stereophile but Emotiva has a big lineup of active speakers for all price ranges. Also nice is Adam Audio but I would go for Emotiva because they're cheaper.

Jun 24, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #11 of 32
thanks,

so a Lepai would be enough for decent bookshelves? I like the Paradigm sound, I could go with Atoms for 400$, which has the same signature, with less bass. another option is the 200$ Pioneer pair (forgot the model)

Indeed and Topping are both good digital amp brands. For example,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Indeed-TDA7492s-Cute-Tiny-Class-D-50WX2-Mini-Stereo-Digital-Amplifier-Black-/291222600158
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Topping-TP10-Mk4-Class-T-Digital-Amplifier-T-Amp-TA2024-/151252532753

Perhaps Indeed ships to Thaliand, and then you should be able to find a shipper that sells Topping amps that will.

Makes sense to me to stick to speaker models you can audition :)

Jun 24, 2015 at 10:40 AM Post #12 of 32
I would look into a good used pair of speakers. A couple months ago I found a pair of black Aperion Audio 532 bookshelf speakers and bid $150 on the pair. These sound like my Aperion 5.1 living room system and even better in some ways! I have a cheap $70 T amp, sound appeal brand. It has crappy headphone outputs but works great for the speakers at 50 watts per channel.

Jun 24, 2015 at 11:52 PM Post #13 of 32
only the pioneers are available, the amps here are all the traditional type.
I'm leaning towards the q bt3. it's quite good and very convenient, one complete package.

But i'm still gonna look for more active speakers/monitors here, there's no rush.

thanks all

Jun 25, 2015 at 12:57 AM Post #14 of 32
only the pioneers are available, the amps here are all the traditional type.
I'm leaning towards the q bt3. it's quite good and very convenient, one complete package.

But i'm still gonna look for more active speakers/monitors here, there's no rush.

thanks all

Jun 26, 2015 at 12:10 AM Post #15 of 32
ok, now after more thinking I flipped again. I prefer to buy new passives for the bedroom, maybe the Paradigm Atoms or similar, it's about 360$ here. 
invest in a new amp for the living room, in the 600$ range, and move the NAD to the bedroom. this way I get a great compact bedroom system, and upgrade my main amp. then when I feel it's time to upgrade the main speakers (maybe in 1-2 years) i'm good to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back