Beck - Sea Change LP - Question Bad Pressings?
Jun 9, 2008 at 5:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Audiofiler

Headphoneus Supremus
OK,
I know not everyone listens to vinyl and may not be able to know this. I have purchased the gatefold Sea Change release on vinyl several times with the same bad pressing on side C on each copy. I was really looking forward to having this title in my collection but there is static and distortion all throughout the 3 songs on each of the second disc, side C. Was wondering if anyone else owned the vinyl and experienced this. Seems like a bad pressing from the factory where they did not check the batches prior to shipping. Seems to be only a US release, or I would be after any UK or other pressing of this same title.

Anyone have this and can share thoughts?

Jun 10, 2008 at 5:26 AM Post #2 of 27
Love this album. I only have the CD but I think I will have to get the vinyl issue.

I've done a bit of a search and you will know more about it than me but there seems to be two versions. One released on Interscope and one on geffen.

Which version have you got ?

Jun 10, 2008 at 5:49 AM Post #3 of 27
Same here (four copies) AND severe warping on each one. I hear that there might be a MFSL release coming, but it might be SACD and not vinyl. I am looking for a good pressing too. Can't wait to shell out $50 if the MFSL version becomes a reality.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiofiler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK,
I know not everyone listens to vinyl and may not be able to know this. I have purchased the gatefold Sea Change release on vinyl several times with the same bad pressing on side C on each copy. I was really looking forward to having this title in my collection but there is static and distortion all throughout the 3 songs on each of the second disc, side C. Was wondering if anyone else owned the vinyl and experienced this. Seems like a bad pressing from the factory where they did not check the batches prior to shipping. Seems to be only a US release, or I would be after any UK or other pressing of this same title.

Anyone have this and can share thoughts?

Jun 10, 2008 at 6:39 PM Post #6 of 27
Jun 11, 2008 at 11:58 AM Post #8 of 27
Okay, so I finally got a chance to listen to this tonight, and I can concur that side C does have the issues mentioned. Furthermore, the labels are stuck on wonky! I've had my copy for a while now but only ever played it once, so hadn't noticed this yet. Mine is the Geffen release (US Import).

Jun 11, 2008 at 10:34 PM Post #9 of 27
Mine is the Geffen US release..have tried 3 copies with identical batch defects it would seem on side C (Orange label side), huge overlook at the factory it would seem. Is a shame, this album has some of finest sonics of any Disc I suppose, side C notwithstanding.

Quote:

Originally Posted by omegaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Love this album. I only have the CD but I think I will have to get the vinyl issue.

I've done a bit of a search and you will know more about it than me but there seems to be two versions. One released on Interscope and one on geffen.

Which version have you got ?

Thanks for the heads up on the Interscope pressing, I think I just found a source..I will have this on vinyl but cannot bring myself to keep the Geffen pressing with dud side C.

So does anyone already have the Interscope pressing and can share their findings?

Jun 11, 2008 at 11:07 PM Post #10 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by juniperlater /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Same here (four copies) AND severe warping on each one. I hear that there might be a MFSL release coming, but it might be SACD and not vinyl. I am looking for a good pressing too. Can't wait to shell out $50 if the MFSL version becomes a reality.

There already is a "Sea Change" SACD, but I don't think it is MoFi. It is a good recording and I really enjoy it. Such a shame about the vinyl. I've been on the fence about getting a copy, but probably won't now.

Jun 12, 2008 at 5:21 AM Post #11 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiofiler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So does anyone already have the Interscope pressing and can share their findings?

If you do have the Interscope pressing, please let us know if the album is problem free. It's just been added to my "most wanted" but there are a few others above it. So I will wait until I know for sure.

Cheers

Jun 16, 2008 at 10:42 PM Post #12 of 27
Does anyone own the Interscope Pressing on LP and can provide feedback?

I would like to know and others,
thx
biggrin.gif

Jun 17, 2008 at 5:12 PM Post #13 of 27
interesting to hear as I have had to buy 2 copies P.J Harvey 'White Chalk' on 180gram vinyl as the first was scuffed and marked even though it was unopened/sealed and the second copy is the same!!! side 2 being the worst side in both cases. The playback quality is good however but there is bad surface noise on both sides on both LP's.
The record is also manufactured and packaged in America on Island record label. Which label is Beck on?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back