"Beautiful Garbage"-- What went wrong?
Mar 13, 2002 at 2:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

markl

Hangin' with the monkeys.
Member of the Trade: Lawton Audio
I'm a Garbage fan, at least I really liked the second CD (1st is OK), and I know there are a bunch of other fans here. I've seen them live (twice!) and the songs translate amazingly well to the stage. So I was anxious for their latest, "Beautiful Garbage", which seems to have landed with a thud several months ago. Reviews were mixed, but English press seemed to like it somewhat better than US.

So I avoided buying it new and just found a copy for $4 because the cover is missing (don't tell MacDEF), so I bought it. Well, I've listened to it all the way through, and something's missing. You've got the same over the top production at work, but the songs fall flat. It's also like Shirley's trying to soften her image, but I liked her better mean.

Any other fans disappointed?

markl

Mar 13, 2002 at 4:16 AM Post #2 of 15
Extremely disappointed.
mad.gif

I listened to the first few tracks and absolutely hated it. Yeah, it definitely sounds like she tried to soften her image or maybe she doesn't have anything to write about that's angry or emotional, don't know really.

I thought the first album was very good, but as you said, version 2.0 was great.

Mar 13, 2002 at 4:21 AM Post #3 of 15
This is that difficult third album. Compare with Led Zeppelin's third album (actually, a better comparison would be Houses of the Holy). They try to get a little more experimental with that R&B rubbish and the cheesy 50's soda jerk sound of ...what was it, "Cherry Lips"?

Also, Shirley went through therapy. Personally, I think the hydrogen peroxide got to her brain a little bit. I mean, she's still got a great attitude, but it's not as f--ked up as it used to be, which I, personally, really liked. It's a redhead thing. You don't "put up with" their temper, you love them for it.

I was a fan, and I was disappointed. I gave my copy away.

Mar 13, 2002 at 5:42 AM Post #4 of 15
Hey every CD can't be great. Its not that bad, I'm keeping my copy just not quite as good as 1st two CDs.

Dusty must really hate it to give it away since he owns almost every CD out there
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 13, 2002 at 6:11 AM Post #5 of 15
Ah, Dusty, you should've given it to me. It's definitely the weakest of the three albums (my personal favorite being the first album, by a wide margin), but it's still got some good tracks. A good deal of the newer, lighter stuff didn't work so well, but hopefully she knows now what doesn't work.

Mar 13, 2002 at 6:50 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by Dusty Chalk

Also, Shirley went through therapy. Personally, I think the hydrogen peroxide got to her brain a little bit. I mean, she's still got a great attitude, but it's not as f--ked up as it used to be, which I, personally, really liked. It's a redhead thing. You don't "put up with" their temper, you love them for it.

I was a fan, and I was disappointed. I gave my copy away.

Actually i think its a scottish thing, ya gotta love that
wink.gif

I really don't like the whole blond thing, she reminds me of bridgette neilsen (sp?). SHirely, go back to red you spitfire
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 13, 2002 at 8:02 AM Post #7 of 15
im not a garbage fan but i thought their latest album beatifulgarbage is the best one yet! the first two was over produced and unreal while the latest is more real and appreciable. just goes to show, different strokes for different folks.

Mar 14, 2002 at 4:50 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by gloco
I really don't like the whole blond thing, she reminds me of bridgette neilsen (sp?).

What?!? Brigitte Nielsen is a hotty! Naw, she reminds me of death warmed over.

BTW, I have to say, I really enjoy saying that it was so bad that I gave my copy away, but the truth is, I gave it to my cousin. It really wasn't that much of a giveaway, I just thought he'd like it better than I do. I'll probably replace it someday. Like from half.com for US$0.50. So little expense to me...
smily_headphones1.gif

And yes, dhwilkin, I should have given it to you. The first album is far and away my favourite also. Do you have all the B-sides from that era?

Mar 14, 2002 at 5:25 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by Dusty Chalk
What?!? Brigitte Nielsen is a hotty!

Have you seen her lately? She hasn't aged well. Although i did like her as Red Sonja (hope i got that right)...

biggrin.gif

Mar 14, 2002 at 5:47 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by gloco
Have you seen her lately? She hasn't aged well. Although i did like her as Red Sonja (hope i got that right)...

Yeah, actually, I have, and you're right, she hasn't aged well -- but I didn't think you meant that Shirley reminded you of the current BN, did you?

Yeah, and Beverly Hills Cop II, and (looks her up at IMDB)...OMG, she's been in some real crap, hasn't she...alright, let's un-derail this thread:

Those of you (erm...us) who are detractors, how would you improve Beautifulgarbage? Which tracks would you cut? I don't have a copy in front of me (gave it away, it sucked so bad), but I know I would cut that stupid "Cherry Lips" track, and the R&B one, and I think the "Coffee" one, and then it might be an adequate Garbage album. "Prettygarbage". "Nothomelygarbage". Yougettheidea...

Mar 14, 2002 at 6:25 AM Post #11 of 15
Actually just the blond hairdo reminded me of BN, otherwise they look nothing alike.

As for Garbage's new album, heh, they should've just released a live cd/dvd for us and taken the extra time to cull some great tracks. I wonder how many new songs get played at their concerts?

Mar 14, 2002 at 8:16 PM Post #12 of 15
Anyone collect Rabbit in the Moon remixes of garbage songs?

I think I have them all now. Imo they are sublime, but thats just my opinion. I have a feeling lots of people dont really like them.

Mar 15, 2002 at 1:52 PM Post #13 of 15
My first listen to Beautiful Garbage.. I kinda dug it. I'm a big fan, and listen to their previous albums at least every month. But true, it hasn't grown on me quite as fast as the others. I'll crack it open again today to give it a fair run through.

Mar 15, 2002 at 5:06 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Dusty Chalk said...

Do you have all the B-sides from that era?

No, afraid not. Wasn't aware there were all that many. Looks like I've been remiss in my garbage-collecting duties.
wink.gif

Mar 18, 2002 at 8:28 PM Post #15 of 15
Funny, having read all the bad reviews I too waited until about two weeks ago to buy it. I love it though. Different, but then again I never like it when a group puts out the same stuff over and over. They're heading in a different direction--this album's fun, but no less impressive in my mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back