Beautiful Build & Beautiful Sound
Apr 9, 2019 at 2:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

FullBright1

Headphoneus Supremus
Before i begin this mini revive of the Sendy, let me first issue a disclaimer.....
---
Let it be known that this is a review,
I make no promises or any subsequent claims that you will like what i like, hear what i hear, or love what i love, (tho you should) regarding the sound quality of this or any headphone i shall ever review for you.
----------------------------------------
------

Also, the reason i dont review a headphone for you after giving it the proverbial "150 hrs" burn in time, is because its more accurate for your sake, if i review the gear right out of the box and immediately strapped on, because this is exactly how YOU will be hearing the gear if you buy it (new), until such time as makers of HeadPhile gears begin burning their gear in before they box it and ship it.
So, obviously, if a maker of a headphone product is reading this, then do yourself a favor and burn them in before you ship, and you can use this to sell your products, as all hype is allowed in the retail world regarding selling products, especially electronics.
For example, you might market it as....." We are The ONLY worldwide manufacturer of audiophile headphones that, as part of our strict attention to QC, ... burn in the headphones..... so that when you get them, you are getting the best sound possible right out of the box....as no 150hr burn in of our product is ever required to find out if it sucks, or if it is as phenomenal as we are telling/selling you.....etc".

So, ladies, start your engines, as here we go.....:)
----------
------

Ok, as i went to UPS and received the box from the UPS "Agent", i noticed immediately that this gear has some heft, some mass, some weight, and this pleased me, immediately.
Upon arriving to my music room, i undressed the very sturdy tho plain box, opened it, and out came a nice tho modest carrying case that has a strong & secure & well made zipper as well as overall build quality.. Nothing felt inexpensive or as if the box or the case are just an afterthought.
Upon opening the sturdy case, i smiled, as its tight in there....yet, once again, the design of even the implementation of the molding that secures the Sendy's in their case, is a well considered operation.
Taking the Sendy's out of their case, (should you buy) you will feel the end result of a well designed quality product, and this is the "weight" i felt before i even opened the box.
Yes, the headphones are pretty, and the frame, headband, and cups, are all represented well by the $599.99 that it costs for you to own them.
This is a premium "feeling" product that 95% of buyers will love to admire and touch. And of course, the other 5% who wont love it, are not capable of ever being satisfied, and go through life in a perpetual state of nervous exhaustion. So, don't be that person. Instead, allow yourself the joy of enjoying, vs the self-curse of being nothing but critical and unhappily so....endlessly, till the end of your time.
And then, there is the WIRE. So COOL..... I think it was/is Z-Reviews who admired its complexity, its beauty, and the obvious fact that such a wire is a hyper-attention to detail piece of workmanship.., and just like the headphones, the wire is actually a thing of beauty.
Its both dense and lite, and low and behold, its not stiff.

Ok, moving now to the "I strapped myself into them", position, let me talk about what this experience is like, so far....
Im using only 2 sound generating devices, the Apogee ONE, and the Monoprice THX AAA Dac/Amp.
Playing now my usual 10 CDs that cross borders and all genre's, and starting with the quiet music and traveling through the sound tunnel towards heavier, louder, and deeper. And the reason you always choose lighter softer music first, is so you dont blow out your hearing by starting with Dub ECM, and so forth........which is pretty obvious.
So, i listened, and i listened, then i went to my UTube channel and i listened....
And now i will first tell you about their comfort and sound.

Comfort: 8.8. While these are not lite headphones, the headband, the headband frame and slider, along with the ear-cups, give you a very secure and relaxed and balanced feeling of comfort as you wear them. The clamping pressure is perfect for most heads. The earcups are not going to feel too small to most ears, or too shallow.
All good here.
Impressive.

The headband's slider control does not click into position as you adjust it, but, its a secure "glide" with plenty of travel and never slips once you have it set to your favorite position.
Set it and forget it and turn on the tunes.

So, what is my initial impression of the overall sound of these headphones at point of contact with their sound?
Well, i dont find them aggressive or mid punched or tonally bright, but i do find them to offer a mildly dynamic sound whose signature offering imparts "heft" "body" and impact.
I also find them to have a certain overall sweetness, smoothness, with their quality of warmth being slightly above neutral.
But more about this........keep reading..

Soundstage : Similar to the Alara and Quad, the soundstage has an average plus width, some obvious sense of the sound coming from in front of you, and its more deep then wide, overall. This is not the soundstage of the eternally wide Ananda, nor is it as wide as the LCD -Xs.

Treble : Ah.... These are not treble searing headphones, but neither are they treble impaired. Instead, what i hear is a sound engineer who designed them who does not want yet another set of treble bright headphones that are trying to pretend that false detail is found by etching the high end. No.... the Sendy headphone design group have created a Treble freq that is refined and extended and somewhat smooth. It imparts a sense of "polish" and absolutely refuses to offer any sibilance unless you are asking it to play back horrible MP3s.
The Treble does not have an artificial sound, but rather a lot of attention to its tuning has been given it so that the upper frequencies are friendly, welcoming, and ultimately not fatiguing, while also offering enough extension to allow for fine musical detail to shine within its overall sonic signature.
The Sendy's are not "all about the treble", so, if this is your specific need, then buy a Beyer, or an AKG, or a Hifiman product and enjoy all the "bright" you can stand.

Midrange :, The Sendy's midrange is interesting right out of the box. Its certainly void of the dreaded "V" shape, yet its not designed to completely lead or overarch the overall tonality of the headphones, yet, it has audiophile impact.
It will remind you of more recent Audeze and Sennheiser midrange, yet, its a very pretty midrange, sort of "dynamically neutral", with nothing in the 1-2kHz range that offends my ear.
I tend to prefer more mids vs more treble, but, i am not a fan of rolled off treble.
Overall, this is certainly a $599.99 midrange sound, and beyond, and the designers have rightly created, within the Sendy's fine sound, that the mids play a "balance" role along with the Treble, regarding just how you accurately retrieve detail from music....

Bass : Hummmmmmm. well, my ears told me from first sonic contact within the sound of the Sendy's, that the low mids are being mildly widened to warm their sound, and there is just enough of a 50-100kHz "sweeting" to give the headphones a happy vote towards tweeked low end. And... just to make certain of what i was hearing down low, i listened carefully to the "AJA" Steely Dan remaster, as this recording was unfortunately not remastered so that the bass is as balanced or extended as it should be, and the Sendys pull out the bass and activate it, not significantly, but, with just a touch of extra solidity.
So, again, 95% of buyers of this set of headphones, are going to like this bass response, as its refined, its solid, and it makes its presence known without reducing the headphones to the status of "too much bass" said Mr BEATS....
Now having said that, there is , to my ear, this sense that the middle of the bass frequency which these headphones are producing, works it way slightly into the overall midrange which is why i hear the sound Sig of the Sendy's to have this overall sense of "warmth" that is apparent to my ears.
Will "burn in" change all this? Well, their sound will mature, and that is all i can know at this point.

As compared to the Ananda's.., well, the Ananda's are a bright sounding headphone, holographic, and tend to analyze the music. They also dont have the midrange impact of the Sendy's, and of course the Ananda's have a completely different treble, not only bright, much less sweet, and not as wide.

As i compare them to the Oppo PM-2... The Oppo's have more of an airy tone, and a more articulate upper treble frequency. The Oppo's don't offer the bottom end impact that is provided by the Sendy's.
Its Clinical vs Smooth....so who wins?........both.
Both of these headphones are very pretty and feel expensive to the touch, and wooden cups like you find on the Klipsch and the Sendy's are significant eye candy.
Yep.

As i compare them to the LCD-X, the Sendys dont offer quite the treble extension or the width of soundstage.
They also do not possess what i consider the LCD-X's bottom end thickness, but this is not a deficit, this is just how they are designed to reproduce bass response, and they do it very very well.
They go head to head and toe to toe, sonically, with the Audeze in all other regards, and offer a more refined and polished audiophile sound that is smoother and warmer.

As compared to the Quads or Alara's.......Well, these 2 headphones offer more midrange width, while the Sendy's offer a more balanced sound. The Q & A's have a smaller soundstage.
The Sendy's offers more bass response, more articulation, equal resolution, and i would not say they offer more or less micro detail retrieval, they just offer it in within a lovely voice that is all their own that is not the same as the Alara's or the Quad's.
Ultimately, the Sendy's sound slightly more refined then either the Alara or the Quad.

As compared to the Stax 300 series......the Sendy's mids and treble do not extend as much, and overall clarity is not as penetrating, nor is their soundstage as wide. But, its not really fair to compare a Planer to an Electrostatic gear.
They really sound nothing alike, so, that is the reality.

Should you buy the Sendy's'?
Well, their value -2-sound ratio is very good, but i can't know if their sound is going to make you love them, or not.
i feel that they have a fine audiophile sound and a quality of design and build that would not cause anyone who might not like their sound, to feel their money was wasted.
Also, i predict that this headphone will be a continually popular selling gear, based on its sound and its quality of design and beauty....so, at least for a good long while, if you do buy, i think the market for resell is going to be "killer"...

The Sendy's are not yet another generic, plastic earcups, treble etched, over-hyped overpriced junk.
This is a fine set of headphones, that sound very good, warm, dynamic, polished, are aesthetically beautiful, and wear well.
I have experienced no fatigue issue with them.

-
-
-
DSCF5174.JPG
DSCF5175.JPG
DSCF5176.JPG
DSCF5177.JPG
DSCF5178.JPG
DSCF5179.JPG
DSCF5180.JPG
DSCF5181.JPG

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2019 at 4:09 PM Post #3 of 27
Zeos New Fav atm

Zeos is entertaining, but, only about 63% as accurate as necessary, regarding his HEADPHONE Gear reviews, IMHO.
He tends to prefer bright sound, vs all other sound.
And SHAMuuu, should you decide to become more connected to my reality and not just permeate your lack of it, check out my Bio.
I was, more then likely, 100 purchased headphones ahead of "Zeos'", before he decided to toss his hat into the Utube Channel game.....:)
And , if, one day, your ATM can afford these fine Sendy's, then you might give them a try.
I like them.

Lastly, it was this review that, for me, was the tipping point, other then my own gear lust.

check it out.
good info..
-
-

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2019 at 4:33 PM Post #4 of 27
I give Z credit for putting himself out there , and it seems he really likes his audio, and he has heard enough stuff to where one can at the very least listen to his impressions.
I dont take him as a timbre expert and i doubt he has the academic credentials to truly know what goes on in the chain of electronics.

But neither do I.

My brother is no expert and doesn't know the terminology but when i asked him about why he uses dt990 pro for gaming, and refused k712 which i offered him, he gave just as good an explanation as anyone on the internet, without the poetic jargon.

And generally I think most people have experienced some form of decent sound, whether it be at the theater, sports arena, or a dance club with their million dollar systems.

And hearing planars with $5000 - $10000 chains, i wasn;t blown away per se. They were cool and all, but in the context of headphones. I have been impressed with one headphone relative to another headphone. But not to the level with a set of speakers, or a movie theater, or a night club.

These Sendy look pretty cool, and i bet they sound good, but I'm not really itching for it. Hifiman and Audeze took like 10 years of R&D to refine their planars. This is a new company.

Thats my thoughts.

Apr 9, 2019 at 4:46 PM Post #5 of 27
Hifiman and Audeze took like 10 years of R&D to refine their planars. This is a new company.

Thats my thoughts.

If i might, in a kind way, disagree?
Audeze and Hifimann are 2 companies that have created some really awful sounds.
At least MadDog and Aion got it right, right away, then refined what was already in the game.
Audeze and Hifimann started out backwards, eventually stopped digging a hole inside their own house, and finally got on the right track.
And like you said, it took both about a "decade" to figure out how to dial it in and get it going.
Take something like the "Sine".
Its like wearing a beartrap meets a vice grip on your head.
The only thing harder then Audeze Sine pads is something like asphalt.....:)

And the Audeze EL=8 series?.......are you kidding? This is muddy meets cuppy meets truly awful....Its like the worst of Beyar, without any treble response to also not like.
But, the LCD's of recent vintage are finally making a mark, and one of my fav headphones will always be the LCD-X.

Also, you seem to think that the "Tech" is not already established so that any company with some good engineers can't, as of Model 1, create a killer set of headphones.
So, you mark my word. This amazing affordable Sendy, is something Audeze wishes they could create, as well as Hifiman, and in both cases, if they did, they'd overcharge for it.
If ither of them created this headphone, they would charge you $1099.99.
Don't look for ither of these companies to give you beautiful wood cups, world class sound, and world class engineering, for $599.99.
Not in your lifetime.
Not in mine.
Sendy just did it.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2019 at 4:58 PM Post #6 of 27
If i might, in a kind way, disagree?
Audeze and Hifimann are 2 companies that have created some really awful sounds.
At least MadDog and Aion got it right, right away, then refined what was already in the game.
Audeze and Hifimann started out backwards, eventually stopped digging a hole inside their own house, and finally got on the right track.
And like you said, it took both about a "decade" to figure out how to dial it in and get it going.
Take something like the "Sine".
Its like wearing a beartrap on your head, and the Audeze EL=8 series?.......are you kidding? This is muddy meets cuppy meets truly awful....Its like the worst of Beyar, without any treble response to also not like.
But, the LCD's of recent vintage are finally making a mark, and one of my fav headphones will always be the LCD-X.
Also, you seem to think that the "Tech" is not already established so that any company with some good engineers can't, as of Model 1, create a killer set of headphones.
So, you mark my word. This amazing affordable Sendy, is something Audeze wishes they could create, as well as Hifiman, and in both cases, if they did, they'd overcharge for it.
If ither of them created this headphone, they would charge you $1099.99.
Don't look for ither of these companies to give you beautiful wood cups, world class sound, and world class engineering, for $599.99.
Not in your lifetime.
Not in mine.
Sendy just did it.

Hahah I guess you're right in a sense, and NO I don't discount that a company could make a quality product on first try should the engineers be experienced with related past history in the field.
That was a judgement error on my part.

Also, I have seen the youtube videos with Whitigr, and subbed to his channel. So in some way or another the positive words from some reviewers on this Sendy do carry some weight.

In saying that I've gone through many many a cans, and have a many many a cans on the desired list.

I think that is the difficulty of choosing when new ones come out, but you also have desire for past legends.

And though I think there are many new great cans, they don't completely obliterate the past legends.

Apr 9, 2019 at 5:05 PM Post #7 of 27
Hahah I guess you're right in a sense, and NO I don't discount that a company could make a quality product on first try should the engineers be experienced with related past history in the field.
That was a judgement error on my part.

Also, I have seen the youtube videos with Whitigr, and subbed to his channel. So in some way or another the positive words from some reviewers on this Sendy do carry some weight.

In saying that I've gone through many many a cans, and have a many many a cans on the desired list.

I think that is the difficulty of choosing when new ones come out, but you also have desire for past legends.

And though I think there are many new great cans, they don't completely obliterate the past legends.

Audeze is a very fine headphone company.

I also happen to love the HEXV2, and like a few others, including their Ananda, and yes, the dreaded HE560.
I wish that HFMN would recreate that one and just add a "U" shape......pump up the mids, and leave the rest.....but alas...........we dream.
Do i feel secure about Hifiman's QC?
That would be a no.
I once bought a new Audeze product, a headphone, and one side went to sleep within a few days of ownership, and never woke back up.
After i contacted them.....they kindly just sent me a new set instead of the dreaded...> "send it in at your cost and hope we get it back to you in your lifetime (as your punishment) because you didnt buy the 4 yr $298.99 USD repair plan"........so, "hi fives" for Audeze, is in order here.
So, anyway, im still wearing the Sendy's as i type this to you.
Check them out one day.
Cool gear.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2019 at 5:12 PM Post #9 of 27
Audeze is a very fine headphone company.

I also happen to love the HEXV2, and like a few others, including their Ananda, and yes, the dreaded HE560.
I wish that HFMN would recreate that one and just add a "U" shape......pump up the mids, and leave the rest.....but alas...........we dream.
Do i feel secure about Hifiman's QC?
That would be a no.
I once bought a new Audeze product, a headphone, and one side went to sleep within a few days of ownership, and never woke back up.
After i contacted them.....they kindly just sent me a new set instead of the dreaded...> "send it in at your cost and hope we get it back to you in your lifetime (as your punishment) because you didnt buy the 4 yr $298.99 USD repair plan"........so, "hi fives" for Audeze, is in order here.
So, anyway, im still wearing the Sendy's as i type this to you.
Check them out one day.
Cool gear.

Yes Hekv2 is best planar I've heard to date. Are you saying the Sendy is on par or superior?

Apr 10, 2019 at 8:50 AM Post #11 of 27
Yes Hekv2 is best planar I've heard to date. Are you saying the Sendy is on par or superior?

Difficult question to answer, as the final answer has some obtuse dialed into the end result.
Its sort of like comparing the K701 to the HD650.
Its like comparing the color blue to the color red.
The issue with all this comparative opinionated direction pointing, is, once you discover that build quality is equal, and both are Planers,
then what truly determines what is better, regarding sound?
= YOU DO.....your ears.......bottom line.
Recently i bought a lot of Headphones, as usual.
Cooler Master, Oppo 2, Alara, Sendy, Ananda, HEkV2, Stax, Nighthawks, Neumann.
Well, just from my perspective, the Stax is on another level, but, even if its the "best sound", does this mean that everyone who buys it is going to love it?
Nope......especially regarding the fact that they are uncomfortable, and this matters.
It's like buying an expensive camera.......You want the best Image Quality, but, if the camera has slow auto focus, and its just not fun to "shoot", then you have nice IQ that you dont enjoy.
So, enjoying the gear is a big part of why some headphones last and keep selling, even if they are not the "best sound" ever created.

And how is it that a $80 closed dynamic headphone can almost hang with this group of headphones i listed?
Its because OF the same reason that the HD600 will always hang with whatever you compare it to.....
What has happened is that we have reached a sort of "golden era" this last 4 yrs obo, where headphone sound
has leveled up to the point that you really can't find a bad sound, you can only find one that you personally dont prefer.
It all sounds good or great, and for the most part, the build quality is not going to disappoint, tho not all will thrill you with their build or design.
So, no, i dont think that as a total package, the Sendy can override the HEkv2, as if for no other reason, the
Hifiman's soundstage and micro detail retrieval is not equalled by the Sendy.
Yet, the Sendy is not a gear that was designed to be a set of sonic microscopes on your ears.
(Similar to Audeze products.)
Yet, the Sendy is a fine sounding, beautiful, gear, that does not cost a mint to own.
Value wise, the Sendy wins, and, many will really enjoy its unique voice.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2019 at 2:30 PM Post #12 of 27
Apr 16, 2019 at 4:00 PM Post #13 of 27
Before i purchased these, i was reading some of the comments on a Thread here that is devoted to "impressions" of the Sendy's.
Some (newbie-pro-reviewer) , i'll paraphrase, says....>"yeah, i heard them at a store-show, and sure, they're ok, but they are not ready to run with the big boys....(Audeze, HIFIMN, etc).
When i read that, i smiled. And then, after i strapped my ears into their sound, i smiled more.
These run well, no matter what race you pit them against.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2019 at 12:30 AM Post #14 of 27
Hi @FullBright1,

Great mini review, very comprehensive & detailed as usual.
Interesting comparisons too.

I look forward to getting the Aiva myself soon though there are a few other things in my purchase queue first which isn't a bad thing as I am in no rush to own said discussed headphone.
A while back, @Whitgir's impression also helped push this forward more for consideration as he did for you. :)
I look forward to enjoying how the Aiva sounds when the time comes, more than anything else though comfort & build will certainly be a factor too, just have to wait & see. :)

As a side note, just as a general observation on the community here, I find it almost ridiculous people call a company like Sendy Audio new if they haven't heard about them before or hasn't has much impression in the West...yet.
As @SmokeNMirrorz has stated, referencing that press article, as least more people should know now...at least one hopes.

Keep up the good work & insight !

Hope you have a great day !

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2019 at 10:11 AM Post #15 of 27
Hi @FullBright,

Great mini review, very comprehensive & detailed as usual.
Interesting comparisons too.

I look forward to getting the Aiva myself soon though there are a few other things in my purchase queue first which isn't a bad thing as I am in no rush to own said discussed headphone.
A while back, @Whitgir's impression also helped push this forward more for consideration as he did for you. :)
I look forward to enjoying how the Aiva sounds when the time comes, more than anything else though comfort & build will certainly be a factor too, just have to wait & see. :)

As a side note, just as a general observation on the community here, I find it almost ridiculous people call a company like Sendy Audio new if they haven't heard about them before or hasn't has much impression in the West...yet.
As @SmokeNMirrorz has stated, referencing that press article, as least more people should know now...at least one hopes.

Keep up the good work & insight !

Hope you have a great day !

As usual, what i do, is get a new set of headphones, use them, then get away from them, and go back to my usual suspects.
Then i come back to the new after a few days, and reevaluate.
So, the Sendy's didnt disappoint me the 2nd time around.
A lot of people will really like them .........and the rest will really like the fact that when they sell them, it will be easy to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back