BeatsX
Feb 14, 2017 at 12:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Heyyoudvd

500+ Head-Fier
Has anyone picked up a pair? I've been hearing surprisingly good things about them.

From what I've been hearing, they're very comfortable, the W1 chip is great for pairing and connectivity, the battery life is good, and perhaps most importantly, the sound quality is solid. Judging by the reviews, Beats is continuing to move away from the stereotypical 'Beats sound' that we've all criticized for years, and now they're a lot more balanced - still not completely flat, but they've done away with the bloated bass of the past.

Here's one review that really got me interested:

https://youtu.be/TViog2YYeqY

Anyways, I've got a pair on order, but I'm curious what others who have actually heard them think.

Feb 17, 2017 at 9:43 AM Post #4 of 24
I love these.  I love the W1 bluetooth implementation, the range and the form factor.  They're comfortable and fit extremely well.   (I am using them at the moment with the large SpinFit tips, but the supplied tips also worked well.)  The sound is surprisingly balanced.  Lots of volume.  (I rarely go above 50% except, maybe one notch, on the subway.)  Sure, the Westone W60's sound better, but these are more than fine for walking around, daily drivers.  Two things they can improve (which have been observed by others):  They should be sweat proof (although the CNET review says they are "water resistant"), and they should shut off automatically when the magnets are attached.  Certainly fairly priced at $150.

Feb 20, 2017 at 3:51 PM Post #5 of 24
I have to say I love the Beats X. Never thought I would love anything with the name Beats on them, but the X does a fabulous job as a daily driver. I am actually using them with JVC Spiral Dot tips, medium. Just awesome. The sound is actually balanced, with a slight bump in the 50-70 hz range. Not very noticeable though. Compared to the more expensive IEMs I use, I can say that for a bluetooth IEM, these are solid, especially if you use Apple products. 

Feb 25, 2017 at 3:30 AM Post #7 of 24
So far, I'm very impressed.

Sound quality is good for what they are, they're decently comfortable (although not as comfortable as AirPods), and the battery life is solid.

I have two complaints, though:

1. The power on/off situation could be better. The power button is mushy instead of clicky and I never know how hard to press it or how long to hold if. Also, there's no auto power off, meaning if you forget to power the headphones off after you listen, the battery will drain.

2. Every now and then, they auto-pause. I don't know if this is due to a brief connection loss, but once in a while, my music or podcast will just pause for seemingly no reason, forcing me to hit play again. This rarely occurs, but when it does, it's annoying.

Aside from those, I'm pretty impressed thus far, and would definitely recommend them for someone who's in the market for this kind of thing.

Feb 28, 2017 at 12:35 AM Post #8 of 24
Just received these earphones and immediately there are a few things that impressed me. The whole process of unboxing was actually quite amazing. It is my first unboxing that does not require any tool and cutter at all. That includes the protective shipping box as well. SQ was surprisingly good. I have the SE215 as well and i probably rate them equal which is a big achievement for Beats as it is wireless. For comparison, at 2x the price, B&O H5 is not superior.

Some initial disappointments are, the cable are not very supple and a bit kinky so it does't look as sleek as the photos suggest. The pairing process wasn't as great as i hope. The earphones must be within an inch of the device to pair them. I did't had to to this with all my other bluetooth devices. Yes the process is simple but comes with distance limitations. I'll report back about this aspect as i pair it with more devices.

Overall, Beats X is a big success to me. A wireless earphones that sounds as good as a it's wired competitors.

Mar 3, 2017 at 11:52 AM Post #9 of 24
I've been using Sony SBH80's for quite some time now (almost 3 years, I think) and tried quite a few Bluetooth in-ears in the mean time. I've quickly realized how lucky I was stumbling on the SBH80's: this $99 IEM easily outperformed competitors even in the $149 class. As to date, there are still few Bluetooth IEMs that rival the SBH80 in the sub-$200 market.

Android users can stop reading here, head over to Amazon or eBay, and order a pair of SBH80's for $50-$60.

The Sony SBH80's are not flawless: most of the weight is in the neck band, which means that they can glide off your back when you're not paying attention (this is actually how I lost my first pair, running to catch a taxi in Beijing). The buttons are a bit finicky and there is no option of using 'wings', although the standard silicone ear tips are already quite good. Technically I could comment on the old Bluetooth standard (3.2 instead of 4.x) and the 'average' battery life (6 hours), but in real life the battery easily keeps the SBH80 powered up to 8 hours and the older Bluetooth version has no real-life consequences.

Still, I thought it was time to upgrade, and being a Mac/iOS user, the BeatsX had huge appeal to me: a longer running time (8 hours), a better weight distribution (weight is between the neck and ears, on both sides), magnetic earbuds, and most importantly, charging through Lightning adapter with a quick-charge option that gives you 2 hours of battery life with a 5-minute charge.

When I received the BeatsX, I took them straight out the box and started listening -- and couldn't believe how ****ty they were sounding. Until I realized I had left and right reversed -- oops; for some reason, the in-line remote is on the left side, which for me seemed a bit counterintuitive. I connected both SBH80 and BeatsX to iOS devices and did a side-by-side play of the same songs to hear the differences between these two IEMs.

The SBH80's have great punchy, yet natural sound bass, and very rich mids and treble. I would describe the sound as 'warm' and the soundstage as 'full'. They've been one of the first IEMs that lets you properly hear details like the sound of fingers sliding down the strings of a guitar, or the breath of a vocalist after he is singing a line. Whoever designed and tuned these little gems over at Sony was a true audiophile (and apparently got moved to other projects, because every IEM after the SBH80 is a severe step down, with overtly aggressive bass and cut-off treble).

With these high expectations, I have to say it took a day to fully appreciate the BeatsX. My fears of this IEM being bass-heavy (they are branded as BeatsX, after all) were unfounded. The bass is just as punchy as with my SBH80, but just as balanced and natural, The difference between the SBH80 and BeatsX is mainly towards the higher frequencies -- in the higher end of the mids, and the treble. Here, the BeatsX gives you an insanely detailed, crisp sound. I was able to discover new details in my favorite songs that I had not noticed with the SBH80's. At the same time, the sound feels a bit too clean, too perfect, too... digital? Even though the SBH80 lacks some detail when compared to the BeatsX, I slightly prefer the richness and warmth of the sound of the Sonys.

So which one is better? I'd say, it depends on your preferences. In my case, even though I would prefer the Sony's over the BeatsX by a minimal margin based on its sound, the design and modern features of the BeatsX are definitely the reason for me sticking with these headphones. If you're looking for these features as well, and you've got $150 to spend, you're got yourself a great pair of IEMs that will not disappoint. If sound quality is the key metric and you think $150 is steep, the Sony is a no-brainer. Either won't disappoint you.

(A quick note on the tips: BeatsX comes with 3 silicone tips, just like Sony. The mediums work quite well for me. They also come with two pairs of unobtrusive wings, which I honestly like very much. Using a combination of wings + M tips, these in-ears have not popped out of my ears yet during biking or working, and they're quite comfortable as well during longer stretches. I've just ordered Spiral Dot tips to see if they improve on the sound, let's see!)

Mar 3, 2017 at 12:43 PM Post #10 of 24
These are nice - had them a day or so, I like the sound, enough bass and pretty clear with decent volume. There's a range of ear tips to try, and the 'right' ones for you will help the sound, I think. They stay in place without the 'wings' for me (with the large silicone tips). They pair easily, they stay connected. The controls work well (though I haven't used them for a phone call yet). They charge quickly and the battery life is fine.
There's a bit of cable noise. The cable is a little longer than it needs to be. The on/off button is a bit vague - the LED gets obscured as it's pressed.
And the carry case is...not great.
Overall - nice, glad I got them, I think they'll be my 'go to' pair when I'm using my phone for music.

Mar 8, 2017 at 9:21 PM Post #11 of 24
I've been using Sony SBH80's for quite some time now (almost 3 years, I think) and tried quite a few Bluetooth in-ears in the mean time. I've quickly realized how lucky I was stumbling on the SBH80's: this $99 IEM easily outperformed competitors even in the $149 class. As to date, there are still few Bluetooth IEMs that rival the SBH80 in the sub-$200 market.

Android users can stop reading here, head over to Amazon or eBay, and order a pair of SBH80's for $50-$60.

The Sony SBH80's are not flawless: most of the weight is in the neck band, which means that they can glide off your back when you're not paying attention (this is actually how I lost my first pair, running to catch a taxi in Beijing). The buttons are a bit finicky and there is no option of using 'wings', although the standard silicone ear tips are already quite good. Technically I could comment on the old Bluetooth standard (3.2 instead of 4.x) and the 'average' battery life (6 hours), but in real life the battery easily keeps the SBH80 powered up to 8 hours and the older Bluetooth version has no real-life consequences.

Still, I thought it was time to upgrade, and being a Mac/iOS user, the BeatsX had huge appeal to me: a longer running time (8 hours), a better weight distribution (weight is between the neck and ears, on both sides), magnetic earbuds, and most importantly, charging through Lightning adapter with a quick-charge option that gives you 2 hours of battery life with a 5-minute charge.

When I received the BeatsX, I took them straight out the box and started listening -- and couldn't believe how ****ty they were sounding. Until I realized I had left and right reversed -- oops; for some reason, the in-line remote is on the left side, which for me seemed a bit counterintuitive. I connected both SBH80 and BeatsX to iOS devices and did a side-by-side play of the same songs to hear the differences between these two IEMs.

The SBH80's have great punchy, yet natural sound bass, and very rich mids and treble. I would describe the sound as 'warm' and the soundstage as 'full'. They've been one of the first IEMs that lets you properly hear details like the sound of fingers sliding down the strings of a guitar, or the breath of a vocalist after he is singing a line. Whoever designed and tuned these little gems over at Sony was a true audiophile (and apparently got moved to other projects, because every IEM after the SBH80 is a severe step down, with overtly aggressive bass and cut-off treble).

With these high expectations, I have to say it took a day to fully appreciate the BeatsX. My fears of this IEM being bass-heavy (they are branded as BeatsX, after all) were unfounded. The bass is just as punchy as with my SBH80, but just as balanced and natural, The difference between the SBH80 and BeatsX is mainly towards the higher frequencies -- in the higher end of the mids, and the treble. Here, the BeatsX gives you an insanely detailed, crisp sound. I was able to discover new details in my favorite songs that I had not noticed with the SBH80's. At the same time, the sound feels a bit too clean, too perfect, too... digital? Even though the SBH80 lacks some detail when compared to the BeatsX, I slightly prefer the richness and warmth of the sound of the Sonys.

So which one is better? I'd say, it depends on your preferences. In my case, even though I would prefer the Sony's over the BeatsX by a minimal margin based on its sound, the design and modern features of the BeatsX are definitely the reason for me sticking with these headphones. If you're looking for these features as well, and you've got $150 to spend, you're got yourself a great pair of IEMs that will not disappoint. If sound quality is the key metric and you think $150 is steep, the Sony is a no-brainer. Either won't disappoint you.

(A quick note on the tips: BeatsX comes with 3 silicone tips, just like Sony. The mediums work quite well for me. They also come with two pairs of unobtrusive wings, which I honestly like very much. Using a combination of wings + M tips, these in-ears have not popped out of my ears yet during biking or working, and they're quite comfortable as well during longer stretches. I've just ordered Spiral Dot tips to see if they improve on the sound, let's see!)

How do you find these to cycle with? Looking at getting some for long days in the saddle. Thanks!

Mar 9, 2017 at 6:06 AM Post #12 of 24
How do you find these to cycle with? Looking at getting some for long days in the saddle. Thanks!

I only cycle short distances, but using the standard silicon tips + wings I have to say the fit is very comfortable. They do not pop out of my ears, as the SBH80s sometimes would. If anything, the seal is a bit too good, because these headphones do tend to drown out pretty much all traffic noise -- which might be a bit dangerous :wink:

Mar 9, 2017 at 10:48 AM Post #13 of 24
Bose Sound Sport are the way to go for cycling for me. I think the cable style on the Beats X isn't as suited to cycling. The 'wings' aren't as comfortable as the Bose for me. The Beats also block out sound a bit more which could be a problem. Take care out there on the road whichever you use.

Mar 29, 2017 at 4:42 PM Post #14 of 24
I think these wireless earbuds are perfect for running.  After going through many different pairs of $20 wireless buds from amazon these have surpassed all of those in terms of comfort and sound quality.  Most wireless earbuds stick out or have uncomfortable wires that don't let you swing your head around without dislodging the earbud. The Beats allow me to do just that and are recessed in the ear where they don't always fall out while I pound the pavement.  Although I may not have put enough miles on them yet hopefully they will last much longer than the cheapo buds I have been using.

Apr 8, 2017 at 7:42 AM Post #15 of 24
I've been using a pair of these for a couple of days and I really like the form factor. They're comfortable in the ears and the battery life is pretty good considering how compact everything is. I had high hopes for their performance but the sound lets it down for me. I've been comparing them to some Audiofly AF56's and some old Shure SE210's but the Beats X don't match up to either. There's an overall musicality that's missing from the Beats X. Disappointingly, I found the sound uninvolving and dull. They lack detail and attack and come across a bit veiled.

Looks like I'm staying wired for the time being.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back