Beats Studio3
Jul 15, 2017 at 7:04 AM Post #31 of 904
No, I don't think anyone here is trying to compare Beats to Sennheiser HD800. The biggest issue with Beats is that its headphones are simply utterly noncompetitive against pretty much any other headphones that are available in same price range AND lower.

The cold hard truth is that Beats headphones are even worse than Bose headphones (not just ANC capabilities), and before Beats were coming it was Bose being bashed at Head-Fi all the time.

Say, Koss SP330 is far better headphones than Solo2 and it is 80 dollars cheaper. Only difference is that Koss sadly does not have huge marketing budget like Monster and Apple does. Not to mention many other untold headphones.

It is shame that Head-Fi community really does not pay much attention to cheap headphones, where they actually cover the most crucial demographics in market.
Didn't the op say that the Beats 3.0 would have a soundstage like the HD800, or something to that effect?

Jul 15, 2017 at 7:08 AM Post #32 of 904
Didn't the op say that the Beats 3.0 would have a soundstage like the HD800, or something to that effect?

I said that based on measurements the Solo3 has imaging that's comparable to the HD800S.

Beats doesn't compete on price because they don't have to, but I do still think the Studio 3.0 will sound better than the QC35 and the MDR-1000x. It's a bit insulting to the brand to assume the sound can easily be beaten by any audiophile headphone, Solo3 is a best-in-class package.

Jul 15, 2017 at 8:09 AM Post #33 of 904
I said that based on measurements the Solo3 has imaging that's comparable to the HD800S.

To clarify, here's what that rating you're referring to defines as "imaging," and it's basically measuring phase error and driver matching. http://www.rtings.com/headphones/tests/sound-quality/imaging

In an very small soundstage (and that same site rates the Solo 3 soundstage as 5.2 outlined in red for poor I gather, and the 800S as 8.8), "location" of the sound would be pretty stereo / flat, in my experience. (I have the Solo 2 Wireless which sound basically identical.)

Jul 15, 2017 at 8:11 AM Post #34 of 904
To clarify, here's what that rating you're referring to defines as "imaging," and it's basically measuring phase error and driver matching. http://www.rtings.com/headphones/tests/sound-quality/imaging

In an very small soundstage (and that same site rates the Solo 3 soundstage as 5.2 outlined in red for poor I gather, and the 800S as 8.8), "location" of the sound would be pretty stereo / flat, in my experience. (I have the Solo 2 Wireless which sound basically identical.)

Fair enough on the soundstage, but it's an on-ear headphone so it's not really possible to have it much more open unless the headphone is open-back. 5.2 is still .2 higher and more open than they rated the over-ear Momentum 2.0 Wireless's soundstage.

Jul 15, 2017 at 8:23 AM Post #35 of 904

Beats doesn't compete on price because they don't have to, but I do still think the Studio 3.0 will sound better than the QC35 and the MDR-1000x. It's a bit insulting to the brand to assume the sound can easily be beaten by any audiophile headphone, Solo3 is a best-in-class package.
I think the only improvement in Studio 3.0 will be the same as the other updated models, and that will be the Bluetooth chip improving the battery life. Otherwise the sound will remain the same, as in the other models.

Jul 15, 2017 at 10:55 AM Post #36 of 904
Beats fans are so funny and loyal. This thread has been entertaining.

Jul 21, 2017 at 4:45 PM Post #37 of 904
Beats fans are so funny and loyal. This thread has been entertaining.

I've just realized that I haven't heard a single complaint on head-fi or r/headphones from somebody who's actually owned the Solo3. There's one guy in the Solo3 thread who has Audeze over-ears at home and uses his Solo3 for portable use...

Jul 21, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #38 of 904
I think the only improvement in Studio 3.0 will be the same as the other updated models, and that will be the Bluetooth chip improving the battery life. Otherwise the sound will remain the same, as in the other models.

It's been too many years since 2.0, and reviews haven't been positive enough to justify recycling it. They need a full redesign to compete.

Jul 21, 2017 at 5:16 PM Post #39 of 904
I've just realized that I haven't heard a single complaint on head-fi or r/headphones from somebody who's actually owned the Solo3. There's one guy in the Solo3 thread who has Audeze over-ears at home and uses his Solo3 for portable use...
THats because anyone who can actually hear a difference and has properly auditioned them or any beats product does not purchase them. Just because you might have quality gear does not mean you can tell the difference. Thats when peopke are getting into this hobby I tell them to spend as little money as they can before they dont hear a difference between what they have and the next tier. And yes i have extensive time testing the beats line eventhough i dont talk about it. I have been at this for quite some time.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2017 at 5:18 PM Post #40 of 904
I have beats headphones/earphones, but I also have HD800/HEK/iSINE20/Koss ESP9,and 950,, and about 7 other head/ear phones, and I use beats when I am doing jobs around the house.Do they image/sound stage/depth, as well as the HD800/HEK/iSINE 20,and some of the others?. Not to my ears, but if they do to others, then thats fine by me. At least the people using Beats,are listening to music, and surely thats a good thing?. I would imagine a lot of people are still using their earbuds that came with their phones, and if they are happy, then thats also fine by me.

Jul 21, 2017 at 6:11 PM Post #41 of 904
THats because anyone who can actually hear a difference and has properly auditioned them or any beats product does not purchase them. Just because you might have quality gear does not mean you can tell the difference. Thats when peopke are getting into this hobby I tell them to spend as little money as they can before they dont hear a difference between what they have and the next tier. And yes i have extensive time testing the beats line eventhough i dont talk about it. I have been at this for quite some time.

It's perfectly acceptable to enjoy a Beats headphone while also hearing the difference and enjoying a neutral headphone like Audeze. There's no need to have a neutral headphone at all times if the bass-tuned headphone sounds satisfying. If the tuning is done right, that is.

Jul 21, 2017 at 7:50 PM Post #42 of 904
I agree. I have the Solo2 and purchased the (matte) black Solo3, but aside from the battery life, it sounded the same, so I returned them (battery is not a big deal for me, as my commute is like 10 mins and I can charge at my desk).

The sound is average, and I use my Solo2s for the gym or as a knock around pair for my 12 year old son. When the Solo3s were on sale for $149 at WalMart, that's a good buy for the package (style, battery, BT range, gym use). Can't be rollin' in the gym with some B&W P7 Wireless.

All in all, the Solo3s have their place, but I'm still curious to see what Beats will do with the Studio 3.0. If it's just improved wireless performance, then I'd chalk it up to another stylish gym headphone. I wish they would take a step in the V-Moda direction, where they attempt to bridge the consumer-audiophile gap.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2017 at 8:54 PM Post #43 of 904
I lean towards the Beats because of that W1 chip, it really is a game changer. I have an iPhone, Apple Watch, iMac, and iPad so it made my life much easier. I have a pair of the BeatsX. I had Studio Wireless, but I was disappointed in their sound, and I hated not being able to turn off the NC.

Jul 22, 2017 at 3:11 AM Post #44 of 904
It's perfectly acceptable to enjoy a Beats headphone while also hearing the difference and enjoying a neutral headphone like Audeze. There's no need to have a neutral headphone at all times if the bass-tuned headphone sounds satisfying. If the tuning is done right, that is.

Have you heard the Audeze? Far from neutral....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back