Beats Studio3
Feb 3, 2019 at 1:20 AM Post #886 of 904
https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/beats/powerbeats3-wireless

Rtings finally got around to testing the PowerBeats3, and the raw response is perhaps the best I’ve seen measured on a Beats headphone. The bass boost is done right (3-4dB with slight emphasis on the sub-bass), with a rising response throughout the mid-range that favors the upper mid-range which I’ve found on Sennheiser headphones to bring out the clarity in vocals, and a slightly veiled treble with a top-end roll-off that prevents fatigue. Imaging and THD also measure extremely well.

This response also represents a significant improvement over the PowerBeats2, which has an almost comical 9dB upper-bass boost. I would try a pair but there are still a lot of critiques against build quality and it’s over two years old at this point but I think if Beats stuck in that direction they could have a winning next-generation lineup.

Mine have been working without hiccups for almost 2 years now! I believe many of the quality complains are either the known exaggerated reaction of Amazon commenting, or real problems because of extreme sweat. If you wear them with cable back, the microphone part is touching your neck continuously taking a lot sweat during vigorous exercise. I wear them with cable in front, which also makes them more comfortable and less moving. This is also their only big problem, which is well mentioned by rtings; they do not seal as well as the BeatsX, and their in ear unit moves a lot, breaking whatever seal quite easily. As a result you may end up having more bass at the right or left side, which is really annoying!

I have always found their sound quality really really good and much more open and transparent than let’s say the BeatsX which have the additional problem of extra long and noisy moving cable. Powerbeats3 and Studio3 are my favorite from last Apple/Beats generation. AirPods is a joke regarding sound quality compared to those 2. AirPods are just convenient for calls, that’s it! I have also been recommending here the Powerbeats3 all along...

Feb 4, 2019 at 10:02 AM Post #887 of 904
Mine have been working without hiccups for almost 2 years now! I believe many of the quality complains are either the known exaggerated reaction of Amazon commenting, or real problems because of extreme sweat. If you wear them with cable back, the microphone part is touching your neck continuously taking a lot sweat during vigorous exercise. I wear them with cable in front, which also makes them more comfortable and less moving. This is also their only big problem, which is well mentioned by rtings; they do not seal as well as the BeatsX, and their in ear unit moves a lot, breaking whatever seal quite easily. As a result you may end up having more bass at the right or left side, which is really annoying!

I have always found their sound quality really really good and much more open and transparent than let’s say the BeatsX which have the additional problem of extra long and noisy moving cable. Powerbeats3 and Studio3 are my favorite from last Apple/Beats generation. AirPods is a joke regarding sound quality compared to those 2. AirPods are just convenient for calls, that’s it! I have also been recommending here the Powerbeats3 all along...

Oh, I almost bought the PowerBeats3 based on your endorsement until you mentioned the problem with them moving a lot and losing seal. :frowning2:

Feb 4, 2019 at 10:09 AM Post #888 of 904
Oh, I almost bought the PowerBeats3 based on your endorsement until you mentioned the problem with them moving a lot and losing seal. :frowning2:

YMMV. It’s a minor issue that may not apply to your ears. I am also getting over it by pushing them deeper in my ears, at least as deep as possible since they cannot get inserted too deep due to their design. But their sound is really good! Well worth buying!

Feb 5, 2019 at 4:55 PM Post #889 of 904

As tempting as the PowerBeats3 are, they’re almost 2.5 years old and we are due for a new model soon. My guess is that they’ve been taking so long to release a new PowerBeats because the next version will be truly wireless and they want to get it perfect. Considering AirPods are still the leader in that segment overall, taking that tech over to a new version of PowerBeats could create a new market leader with better sound quality.

I’ve admittedly gotten a bit bored of the AirPods for gym use due to a lack of deep bass and isolation even if they’re still great for phone calls. Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless has been getting incredible reviews but I’m going to holdout to see what the next version of AirPods and the next-generation PowerBeats are like.

Feb 5, 2019 at 11:19 PM Post #890 of 904
Yup, AirPods vs PowerBeats3 — I’ll still choose AirPods. It’s bassy enough to produce a warm sound with some isolation that still lets music shine in less noisy areas. Looking around the gym, the wire on the PowerBeats just feels out of place and dated.

Feb 7, 2019 at 12:57 AM Post #892 of 904
Last edited:
Feb 7, 2019 at 10:05 AM Post #893 of 904
Yup, AirPods vs PowerBeats3 — I’ll still choose AirPods. It’s bassy enough to produce a warm sound with some isolation that still lets music shine in less noisy areas. Looking around the gym, the wire on the PowerBeats just feels out of place and dated.

I'm not a big fan of true wireless except for very specific use cases (like at the gym or in the tanning bed, which is where I use mine lol), precisely because they're too damn easy to lose -- and more critically, to lose just a half. :D

I actually prefer neckband or Jaybird X3-style wireless as far as wireless in-ears go.

Feb 18, 2019 at 4:51 PM Post #894 of 904
For the member questioning the 60 pages:

Apple bought Beats and upgraded them, so this isn't exactly the same cheap feeling and sounding but overpriced brand they used to be. Plus there have been lots of sales so you can find some deals out there. Studio 3 is $70 off at Best Buy and Apple in the states.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2019 at 6:52 PM Post #895 of 904
For the member questioning the 60 pages:

Apple bought Beats and upgraded them, so this isn't exactly the same cheap feeling and sounding but overpriced brand they used to be. Plus there have been lots of sales so you can find some deals out there. Studio 3 is $70 off at Best Buy and Apple in the states.
Target has Beats in Porcelain Rose on Clearance for $174 or $104 (if you're lucky).
https://brickseek.com/target-inventory-checker?sku=008-07-0722

I picked them up for $174, but I was able to talk to the front-end manager at a Target that had it on clearance for $104 (out of stock) to let me return and re-buy for that price. I have to say, at $104, I am quite happy. They are still compelling at $174, however.

Apr 25, 2019 at 2:36 AM Post #896 of 904
That 40 hour battery life looks tempting for travel use. The Studio3 sounds better than my Bose so Apple must have improved something there...

Dec 1, 2019 at 6:02 AM Post #897 of 904
Hi guys. I just bought a brand new Beats Studio 3 and it came with v2.2.1. When I looked at the updates I saw that there was an v2.4.0 update. Should I do this update? Are there any issues with this update?

Dec 1, 2019 at 3:20 PM Post #898 of 904
I bought my 13yo daughter some, because despite my best efforts she would have nothing else. Not as bad as I thought they’d be. Apple integration & bt connection are very good. The are plasticky and creaky, and always seem like they will break at any minute, completely opposite to the luxurious rock-solid, machined feeling of my B&O Beoplays. But in actuality, they may well be more durable. My daughter’s only criteria were that the be trendy, wireless and white, so we’re a successful purchase I suppose. They may not be that bad of a wireless headphone, but (I realize this may be snobby and completely unfounded) I still have a hard time not seeing them as an overpriced poser toy headphone for the undiscerning masses.

Another thing I will say is that in purchasing these on eBay, I experienced more shoddy eBay ethics than I have ever seen in 20 years. The Whole Beats market is rife with counterfeits, scams and a lack of integrity in my experience.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2019 at 5:26 PM Post #899 of 904
I bought my 13yo daughter some, because despite my best efforts she would have nothing else. Not as bad as I thought they’d be. Apple integration & bt connection are very good. The are plasticky and creaky, and always seem like they will break at any minute, completely opposite to the luxurious rock-solid, machined feeling of my B&O Beoplays. But in actuality, they may well be more durable. My daughter’s only criteria were that the be trendy, wireless and white, so we’re a successful purchase I suppose. They may not be that bad of a wireless headphone, but (I realize this may be snobby and completely unfounded) I still have a hard time not seeing them as an overpriced poser toy headphone for the undiscerning masses.

Another thing I will say is that in purchasing these on eBay, I experienced more shoddy eBay ethics than I have ever seen in 20 years. The Whole Beats market is rife with counterfeits, scams and a lack of integrity in my experience.
That’s a lot of words with no comment on the sound. What do you think of the sound and the noise canceling?

Dec 1, 2019 at 7:10 PM Post #900 of 904
That’s a lot of words with no comment on the sound. What do you think of the sound and the noise canceling?
It’s been a while since I’ve heard them, but as luck would have it I’m sitting here in the airport with my family waiting for our (delayed) flight and did a comparo with the beats, my h9i and my Nightowls. The Beats are... not good. I was expecting a v-curve with hyped bass. The bass is most present in the mid-bass, but lacks and sort of low bass impact, and what bass there is sounds tubby. Treble is there, but lacks any sort of air or dimensionally. Overall, they’re compressed (lacking dynamics), tinny and pretty lifeless. and not capable of as much SPL. I was actually expecting more from them, maybe even to be pleasantly surprised. But not so much. Noise cancelling is adequate. Neither is on par with the Bose ANC from what I’ve read, but I do prefer the B&O ANC to the Beats. A little more attenuation here at our noisy gate. The B&Os outperform the Beats sonically in every way. Deeper more musical bass, more dynamic, better imaging, space and aliveness, more airy highs. The B&Os don’t stand up to the NightOwl or other regarded wired headphones, but I find them quite pleasant for extended listening when I need BT and ANC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back