Beats Studio Bass Question and Suggestions
Nov 3, 2010 at 8:50 PM Post #31 of 40

Quote:
I couldn’t feel the punch that much. But the studio’s definitely have bass. But not nearly as much as these Sonys

I think after i heard the Tours and the XBs i thought the studios were crap at bass:)
Since Tours have better punch, and XB reach lower, and the studios does none of that

Nov 4, 2010 at 3:28 PM Post #32 of 40
Maybe the studios hiss from the SNR from the AAA’s.

hey. Xymordos (my best friend haha). So I got my XB700s and compared them to my 500ss

First let me say. They are both awesome headphones. But after comparing songs on both. The 700s sounded really nice for rap and techno (too bad I don’t have a good amp yet to power those 3,000MW beasts). But when I used them for metal. I didn’t like it. The large driver reacts to slower to hit fast double bass (or as you call it double kick pedals).

My conclusion. Get the 500s for metal and use the 700s for other music. Because the sound quality is better on the 700s. The 500s have better mid bass. Or at least I think they do. Also the 500s consume 1500MW so don’t really need an amp to run them. But they still sound better with one.

Nov 6, 2010 at 11:30 AM Post #33 of 40
Well beats is really out of consideration :)
Yeah i heard that the 700s needs a monster amp to run it :\
Wondering how big an effect a Fiio amp would do to it...

Im scared that the 500s would sound similar to the tours, since they both have their emphasis on the same areas

Nov 6, 2010 at 1:09 PM Post #34 of 40
I have a Fiio E5 hooked up right now to my 700s and it sounds good. But I also have a PA2V2.

They might sound similar but the 500s will definitely hit lower bass and make it sound more like you want it.

You can find them for cheap. Just buy them refurbished.

Nov 6, 2010 at 5:12 PM Post #35 of 40

Quote:
Well beats is really out of consideration :)
Yeah i heard that the 700s needs a monster amp to run it :\
Wondering how big an effect a Fiio amp would do to it...

Im scared that the 500s would sound similar to the tours, since they both have their emphasis on the same areas

The XB500 handles deep bass very well otherwise I wouldn't be liking them as much as I'm doing, there's very little difference between XB700 and XB500 in that regard, it's more like XB700 + added punchy upper bass so don't worry about XB500 not producing proper deep bass. It's not like XB500 would be any expensive for starters so you don't have much to lose in trying cuz they seem to fit exactly with the decription you've given what you're looking for.

Nov 7, 2010 at 12:24 AM Post #36 of 40
I was at an apple store today and auditioned the beats studio, The crossfade, and the b&w p5.

Beats studio: sibilant on max volume and didn't pack punch on bass. EQ'ed to bass booster

The crossfades: great bass and highs very slightly sibilant but packed the punch. EQ'ed to bass booster

B&W p5: god sent cans. No sibilance at all and the bass punched but still sounded so smooth
smily_headphones1.gif
EQ'ed to bass booster.

I right now own the xb-500 and they are more sibilant than the b&w p5's which had none. They did however pack a little more punch then the b&w p5 on max volume on my iPhone 4.

I modded my xb500 by covering the drivers by 3 sheets of tissue so it takes out sibilance and adds bass. But I still get it @ max volume on my iPhone unlike the b&w p5's.

So if I am you i would get the b&w p5's and also I wont have to worry about wearing 2 tires on my head in public
wink.gif

Nov 7, 2010 at 11:29 AM Post #37 of 40
Unfortunately B&W arent sold in Hong Kong (at least i dont think so). 

@RPGWiZaRD: I would prefer buying an amp since all my other headphones can use it, rather than another headphone thats really similar to one i have :\

@jockhater2: so you say the PA2V2 sounds better? :O

Nov 7, 2010 at 3:12 PM Post #38 of 40

Quote:
Unfortunately B&W arent sold in Hong Kong (at least i dont think so). 

@RPGWiZaRD: I would prefer buying an amp since all my other headphones can use it, rather than another headphone thats really similar to one i have :\

@jockhater2: so you say the PA2V2 sounds better? :O

Then an E5 are you kidding me? PA2V2's are basshead amps I wouldn't say it's Hi-fi or anything but they are a good bit better then E5's.

Nov 7, 2010 at 5:14 PM Post #39 of 40
XB500 isn't similar to XB700, they are no closer to each other than AKG K 518 DJs and ATH-M50 in sonical differences for example. I happen to have both FiiO E5 and Gary's PA2V2 amps too but even Gary's won't really fix the lack of punch in the bass, the Gary's amp certainly adds some punch but it sounds rather unnatural, I don't like using either of the amps really, I get better results tweaking kX Audio driver's 10-band EQ. E5 is just like a toy, doesn't do much, in fact if the source is already pretty good it might just worsen the result, so it only helps very weak sources like cheap mp3 players IMO.

Nov 8, 2010 at 7:09 AM Post #40 of 40
Sorry, Im not a headphones person :p But I'll definitely try them out when i get a chance.
Noob Question: What amp connects to a computer? o.o

Off topic:
Recently i just heard Katy Perry's Firework. The bass was wow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back