Beats Studio3
Jun 26, 2018 at 1:10 PM Post #781 of 904
I finally pulled the trigger. One of my local stores gave me a deal on the all black, 20% off. I had to return the PSB M4U 8 that I ordered a couple of weeks ago due to a loud hissing noise, giving me a headache, and I’m so happy with these. My main criteria were leakage, latency and noise cancelling.

In comparison, Beats vs PSB:

Pros:
- Lighter
- Better connectivity
- Slightly better latency
- No hiss
- Slightly less leakage

Cons:
- Lower sound quality
- More “plasticy” feel/lower build quality
- Smaller cups
- Worse controls

Equal:
- Comfort
- Noise cancelling
- Price

Jun 26, 2018 at 5:21 PM Post #782 of 904
Let me know once you get banned at Best Buy! LOL! I got banned in about 2 weeks. Never shop there, so I rotate my returns at other retailers with multiple locations, lest they be like "there's that return guy again". I have a problem!

As far as liking/keeping the Studio3, to each their own. Some people like the wireless range, style, battery life, etc. I've actually purchased and returned the Studio3 multiple times, and just a guess, but probably 5x or 6x (totally lost track). Each time, I really TRIED to like them, but I could not justify keeping them at the price I paid ($239 for Blue). It's not that the price is prohibitive, rather, I want to feel like I'm getting good value for the money for my purposes.

I have friends that have them and love them. I also have friends that love One Direction.

Best Buy is a terrible place to shop for electronics. A customer deserves the right to be able to return a product they don’t like without second-guessing themselves over dumb return policies. The company they use to calculate return limits will literally use criteria such as what time the item is returned. I get banning somebody who buys a hundred sale items to flip on eBay and ends up returning them, or somebody who’s buying and returning a product basically every 14 days. But through some research I’ve found people banned after one return. That doesn’t sound like a place I want to shop for items that are as subjective as headphones. I will use the showfloor for demos though.

While I put a lot of consideration into what I buy to make sure it doesn’t get returned, I do usually buy products I’m on the fence about (and even price match in case I do keep them) to experience them for myself. In my case that’s just been audio products since they’re all so different in sound, comfort, etc.

I will admit I still wish Studio3 was better and would consider trying it one more time since prices are trending downwards but I think three returns would be excessive. I did have legitimate reasons the first two times (first unit was poorly-made, second was bought on a different card than I would’ve preferred to use based on false advertising by the retailer). Frankly though Studio3 isn’t a studio headphone due to the mid-range and it makes no sense why they follow a bass curve that rolls off the sub-bass. I like to hear an even, linear bass and it would have been a much better headphone with just a linear bass rising slightly from around 2.5dB-3.5dB throughout the bass range. The lack of sub-bass is really the main fault of the headphone, even if that lower-mid bump could stand to be tuned down 1-2dB.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2018 at 6:54 PM Post #783 of 904
A consumer should only have the RIGHT to return a product if it is faulty not if the buyer simply doesn't like it IMO.

You are purchasing not hiring the product nor borrowing it. An electronic shop like any other retailer is not in the business of lending goods on a try and return basis. Make damn sure the product is right for you and if it isn't then sell at a price loss to yourself. You have made the wrong decision, no one else is to blame, and be happy

I don't know how people have the gall to think these shenanigans are acceptable. The consumer pays in the long run. Maybe it's an American thing. An anathema to me anyway

At the end of the day if you want to avoid this situation it might be the case of choosing not to buy Beats (not the hardest of life's decisions by any means) or alternatively just wait a few months until they inevitably develop a genuine fault and Bob's your Uncle :)

Jun 26, 2018 at 7:02 PM Post #784 of 904
A consumer should only have the RIGHT to return a product if it is faulty not if the buyer simply doesn't like it IMO.

You are purchasing not hiring the product nor borrowing it. An electronic shop like any other retailer is not in the business of lending goods on a try and return basis. Make damn sure the product is right for you and if it isn't then sell at a price loss to yourself. You have made the wrong decision, no one else is to blame, and be happy

I don't know how people have the gall to think these shenanigans are acceptable. The consumer pays in the long run. Maybe it's an American thing. An anathema to me anyway

At the end of the day if you want to avoid this situation it might be the case of choosing not to buy Beats (not the hardest of life's decisions by any means) or alternatively just wait a few months until they inevitably develop a genuine fault and Bob's your Uncle :)

Bottom line, if a product is good enough it won’t be returned so return policies demonstrate confidence from retailers/manufacturers. As many in this thread know and are guilty of, headphones are very subjective and it’s difficult to know what they’ll truly be like without trying them firsthand. Returns are a marketing cost otherwise retailers wouldn’t offer them. They can spend $$$ bombarding consumers with ads or they can have those targeted consumers try the product in their own home after spending their own money to do so. (I certainly don’t condone buying with the intent to return.) In many cases it can be impossible to know 100% how much you’ll like or use a certain product even after watching/reading literally every review on it without actually purchasing it. On typically high-margin items like headphones it’s not the worst thing in the world if a consumer tries a headphone and decides they don’t like it. That customer could still be profitable if they buy and keep a different pair of headphones.

Edit: I did just that after returning Studio3 last year. I purchased the Sony 1000x from the same retailer, then after deciding I wasn’t a fan of that headphone sold it here and broke even so as to not inconvenience the retailer with too many returns.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2018 at 7:11 PM Post #785 of 904
Bottom line,.. . That customer could still be profitable if they buy and keep a different pair of headphones.

Well I'm sure that makes it okay. I'm obviously wrong!

Jun 26, 2018 at 7:13 PM Post #786 of 904
Edit: I did just that after returning Studio3 last year. I purchased the Sony 1000x from the same retailer, then after deciding I wasn’t a fan of that headphone sold it here and broke even so as to not inconvenience the retailer with too many returns.

That's more like it I usually break even or make a small profit!. Well done

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2018 at 7:17 PM Post #787 of 904
There still seems to be a different standard for headphones versus many other items. If you bought a pair of shoes and wore them for 30 days and then decided to return them, would they take them back? If the flavor of something wasn't quite what you expected, would you think you could return it? Clothes - because you decided the color (midrange) wasn't as bright as you thought it would be?

Jun 26, 2018 at 7:21 PM Post #788 of 904
There still seems to be a different standard for headphones versus many other items. If you bought a pair of shoes and wore them for 30 days and then decided to return them, would they take them back? If the flavor of something wasn't quite what you expected, would you think you could return it? Clothes - because you decided the color (midrange) wasn't as bright as you thought it would be?

For the most part shoes or clothing can be fitted at the store, and usually will break in just fine if they’re fitted properly and comfortable. There are a lot more variables to headphones.

Regardless many department stores offer 180-day or even 365-day return policies on most items, which goes to show the importance of a strong return policy.

Jun 26, 2018 at 7:23 PM Post #789 of 904
Well I'm sure that makes it okay. I'm obviously wrong!

Returns are a way of life for American retail. Even still I’m more considerate than most consumers when it comes to returns, as I return items in like-new condition and my returns are usually limited to maybe a handful of items each year when I’m spending otherwise thousands of dollars at retail. Electronics I’m going to have naturally higher expectations for and won’t accept a product that I’m not satisfied with.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2018 at 7:45 PM Post #790 of 904
You hit the nail on the head. Some items have a much higher return ratio than others. The problem with audio equipment, specifically headphones, is there are so many variables that can impact claimed performance. Head size/shape, ear size/shape, mismatched drivers, ANC mics with different sensitivities (e.g. right side more sensitive than left), uneven fabrication on left build side vs. right (e.g. one slider or folding hinge much looser than the other), etc. Many of my returns are related to mismatched drivers and different mic sensitivities. Some are due to over-hyped marketing promises that don't deliver or just flat out poor build quality.

That being said, as an informed shopper, I'm strategic where I purchase items. I understand Beats does not have very good quality control and one headphone will differ from another in various quality aspects, as mentioned above, so I will only purchase Beats at a retailer I know has a good return policy. I do not purchase to demo, since personally I feel that's a waste of my time, however, if the product does not live up to the marketing and/or I am ultimately dissatisfied, I will return.

Some of the items I returned at Best Buy were unopened (audio cables, etc.) and within their 14 day policy. Those returns, however, still count against you in their algorithm, which they have every right to do, so we're just not a match for business. I also understand Best Buy does not have enough product diversity and high-margin items to allow for a return policy similar to Costco or Target. Their business model is what it is, but they could balance their risk mitigation policies to not create a negative hit for unopened returns. Again, since their policy is only 14 days, the temporary loss of a small percentage of products for sale is minimal, easily offset by increased customer confidence and repeat shoppers. This is an old-school business mindset with low tolerance for risk, so upside is weak. Amazon used to just be books, but now, it's everything.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2018 at 8:44 PM Post #791 of 904
I personally am an Elite Pro member with Best Buy and have a very good relationship with my local Best Buy. Best Buy loses very little on returns. They re-sell most headphones as open box. I don't necessarily purchase headphones with the "intent" to return them, but I do make use of my 45-day return window to give headphones I'm genuinely interested in a good test drive. I baby them and keep them in PERFECT condition. Have never so much as scratched one. I can understand people having a problem with those who purchase headphones with the intent that they're just borrowing them. I personally don't feel bad about using a policy that Best Buy themselves created. And the more money you spend at their store in a year, the more they encourage you to take advantage of this policy by increasing your return window from 14 to 30 to 45 days. Nope, I don't feel even the least bit of remorse. I spend and keep more than I return. To me, you can't get a good feel for a headphone without a good amount of time spent with it.

Jun 29, 2018 at 9:54 AM Post #792 of 904
I was at Target the other day and gave these a listen. While I wasn't blown away by them, I thought they were more than respectable considering their reputation and as someone in the Apple ecosystem, the W1 chip is just too good. I'm currently looking for a pair of bluetooth headphones and at their current price point, I'm giving them strong consideration.

Jun 29, 2018 at 10:00 AM Post #793 of 904
I was at Target the other day and gave these a listen. While I wasn't blown away by them, I thought they were more than respectable considering their reputation and as someone in the Apple ecosystem, the W1 chip is just too good. I'm currently looking for a pair of bluetooth headphones and at their current price point, I'm giving them strong consideration.
I tell people use their ears, not measurements and professional review bias. I've tried most of the top bluetooth headphones out today, and the Studio 3 are in my top 3 of favorites. They are an amazing experience if you have Apple products. They sound even better when you update to the latest firmware. I love them personally and prefer their sound to the Bose QC35 II and Sony 1000XM2.

Jun 29, 2018 at 10:08 AM Post #794 of 904
I tell people use their ears, not measurements and professional review bias. I've tried most of the top bluetooth headphones out today, and the Studio 3 are in my top 3 of favorites. They are an amazing experience if you have Apple products. They sound even better when you update to the latest firmware. I love them personally and prefer their sound to the Bose QC35 II and Sony 1000XM2.

Frankly, my biggest hesitation right now is branding. It's just something I dislike (across all realms of my life....clothing, etc.). It's why I initially tried the Sony 1000s (because they were the least "in your face") and while I didn't mind them, they did not play well with my Apple stuff, using the touch controls would randomly open programs like iTunes and stuff like that.

Jun 29, 2018 at 10:17 AM Post #795 of 904
Frankly, my biggest hesitation right now is branding. It's just something I dislike (across all realms of my life....clothing, etc.). It's why I initially tried the Sony 1000s (because they were the least "in your face") and while I didn't mind them, they did not play well with my Apple stuff, using the touch controls would randomly open programs like iTunes and stuff like that.
I definitely understand and can respect that. If you can look past it somewhat, get the Matte Black. It’s the least in your face in the Beats lineup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back