1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Beats Solo Pro

1. MICHAELSD
    Following the release of the truly wireless Powerbeats Pro, Beats has introduced a new on-ear Solo Pro headphone. It features active noise cancellation, a redesigned aluminum frame featuring limited edition matte colors, and new drivers.

Available October 30th for $299.

https://www.beatsbydre.com/headphones/solo-pro

This time around, I think Beats will deliver.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
    Double C likes this.
  2. HiFiGuy528
    I think they've been improving the entire line year over year. I would like to see a beats Pro v2.

3. MICHAELSD
    Beats Pro gen 2 could be very impressive with Apple’s talent attached to it.

4. MICHAELSD
    I’m looking forward to trying Beats Solo Pro. Solo3 had what I would consider a perfect sound signature for the consumer market: moderately bass-boosted while still retaining natural-sounding mids and an adequate, non-fatiguing treble. All with class-leading imaging and a low level of distortion.

Early reviews indicate that Beats dialed down the bass and that clarity is at an all-time high. We’ll need more feedback to see if they dethrone Powerbeats Pro, which has a flat linear bass and a sound signature that favors the upper mids/treble. If it has a 3-5dB bass boost as opposed to 7dB on the Solo3 I imagine it could be similar to Audeze’s Sine headphone in providing an incredible amount of clarity in the upper frequencies while still providing a punchy low-end. I’d be curious what they would sound like if they replicated the Powerbeats Pro which has practically no bass boost whatsoever, but that may be too much of a leap for the Solo series.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019 at 7:18 PM
  5. MICHAELSD
    I'm curious if Solo Pro has better sound quality than Powerbeats Pro and AirPods Pro since that seems like the only compelling reason (along with the design) to choose it over those two IEM's. Otherwise, truly wireless is more practical for a majority of people. I'd like one of those three headphones to replace my AirPods and possibly even my Solo3, but the question is which one. Admittedly AirPods are more comfortable than the on-ear design of the Solo3.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
  6. MICHAELSD
    Finally got a chance to test a demo pair, and I am impressed. The sound quality is balanced yet vibrant, with sparkling highs and deep bass. The mid-range is natural and detailed, though becomes a bit shouty at higher volumes. The bass is present and focused on the sub-bass range, which gives vocals and guitars more room to breathe as it doesn’t have the same scooped mids of the Solo3. Meanwhile, the treble is full throughout the range and exciting without becoming fatiguing.

What’s truly impressive about the Solo Pro is the active noise cancellation. Isolation is strong and the ANC implementation sounds more natural than competitors without detracting from the overall sound quality. It doesn’t have the static or boxed-in sensation that other ANC headphones tend to impart. In fact, I’d probably take the Solo Pro over the QC35 or Sony WH-1000XM3. Transparency mode sounds surprisingly natural as well. Interestingly, the sound seems more full with ANC turned on.

It also seemed comfortable in my time with it, though I’d have to spend more time testing since on-ear headphones tend to become uncomfortable over longer periods. The construction and ear pads feel more premium than on Solo3.

The dilemma Solo Pro is going to face is that consumers are going to be attracted towards AirPods Pro or Powerbeats Pro for most of the same uses. As much as I liked Solo Pro, I’m not sure I can find a reason to justify buying it when a truly wireless alternative is going to be more convenient in most cases. Still, I’d consider it for its sound quality alone — it really makes the most out of its AAC source files, and is among the top wireless headphones I’ve heard.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
  7. MICHAELSD
    Rtings posted their review, and it validates all my observations:

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/beats/solo-pro-wireless

Solo Pro is an excellent ANC headphone. It scores better than the Sony WH-1000XM3 and Bose 700 headphones, and I find that to be true: it has the best sound quality of any ANC headphone I’ve heard. The sound signature follows my preference quite well (which I expected after demoing it), with emphasis on the sub-bass, upper mids, and lower treble. This is a dramatic improvement over Studio3, and a nice upgrade over Solo3.

I can already tell this is going to be an underrated headphone: audiophiles avoid Beats (as the lack of interest in this thread indicates) and a lot of consumers shopping in this price range don’t want on-ear headphones since they’ll probably opt for over-ear or truly wireless; however, I find they have their uses as they can be more stable and comfortable over shorter periods.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019 at 7:00 PM
  8. posnera
    Interesting. I will be getting a Beats gift this holiday season and need to decide between Solo Pro and Studio3.
    I went to the Apple store today to check them out. Unfortunately, their system wasn't working. I was able to try them on but not to listen.
    The Studio were more comfortable, but I really wanted a sound comparison.

9. SilverEars
    Interesting. They going neutral. Who would have expected?

Beats built up a reputation for bass and muddy, flabby bass for hip-hop, and it seems after Apple bought them out, they changing that reputation.

10. MICHAELSD
    Solo Pro all the way. It sounds much better than Studio3.

11. SilverEars
    At least the measurement does. Although, there's a slight blip in the upper-mids or teble(I guess this could be done on purpose at 6k, who knows). Wish for more low frequency ANC.

I wish they tune neutral with the Studio, I don't like on-ears, prefer over-ears.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019 at 7:04 PM
  12. MICHAELSD
    The sound signature is almost perfect imo. It’s neutral with enough energy in the bass and treble to still be fun and stand out. Solo Pro produces what I would call a vibrant frequency response across the entire range.

13. MICHAELSD
    I’ve spent a considerable amount of time with Studio3 and could tell after a few minutes with Solo Pro that the sound quality is a drastic improvement. They took all of the feedback and criticism to heart when tuning Solo Pro. It even improves upon Solo3’s flaws by not rolling off the upper treble.