Beats Solo 2: Is the Head-Fi community willing to give these a fair chance?
Sep 9, 2014 at 2:18 PM Post #166 of 444
So, just got the grey ones today...listening now from a 5s...nice! They sounded a tad warmer than my M80s, and I really like that; the top end is still there too. More listening to do...but so far so good

Sep 11, 2014 at 6:02 AM Post #167 of 444
Hi guys, I went by the local Best Buy today and demoed the new Beat Solo HD and I have to say definitely an improvement over the older model.  Less bass than before.  But still didn't impress enough to want to purchase.  If you like bass but not bloated bass, I would highly recommend the Senn HD 380 Pro.  It's like have a powered subwoofer on your head.  Amazing! 

Anyways to the point, Best Buy has the Sennheiser tan and white color Momentum on-ear on sale for 99 dollars!  Again, I would have bought but the sound didn't impress me that much.  However, I did see a Polk Audio Hinge Headphones (they have several different colors and the one I saw at Best Buy was in Denim) looks very similar to the new Senn. Urbanite??  The headband looks almost identical, the top of band and under the top part of the band too.  I wonder who copied who?  But I have seen many headphones that look like they copied Beats too....

Sep 11, 2014 at 11:12 AM Post #168 of 444
I bought the Beats solo 2's at Bestbuy and couldn't be happier with them. Own the V-moda XS and i believe these are better then the XS minus build quality. Bass is quit powerful but is controlled and the Highs aren't screeching like in the Solo's HD. For Bassheads these are quite good for $200 imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhkLOtW96Hs 

Review pretty much hits it to the dot along with Tyll's 

Using my Samsung Galaxy note 3 ,Laptop and Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5
Note 3 sounds meh with the Qualcomm DAC but the Laptop and Galaxy tab s 10.5 sounds good.

Sep 11, 2014 at 2:54 PM Post #169 of 444
I've had the Solo2 for almost 3 weeks now and quite happy with them.  Compared to previous Beats that I've heard the bass has far more control to it but the mids and highs also sound quite good as well.
Compared to my B+W P7 and B+O H6 they are not quite in the same league but they are almost half the price of those 2.  The H6 and P7 have better clarity and more control overall but like I say they are in a different price renge so probably not fair to compare.  Despite this they sound better than other headphones I've owned in a similar price bracket. 

Sep 12, 2014 at 9:44 AM Post #170 of 444
  I've had the Solo2 for almost 3 weeks now and quite happy with them.  Compared to previous Beats that I've heard the bass has far more control to it but the mids and highs also sound quite good as well.
Compared to my B+W P7 and B+O H6 they are not quite in the same league but they are almost half the price of those 2.  The H6 and P7 have better clarity and more control overall but like I say they are in a different price renge so probably not fair to compare.  Despite this they sound better than other headphones I've owned in a similar price bracket. 

Either way these headphones are at least respectable and now whoever buys them for the name will at least get a decent pair of headphones :)   I have mostly seen the older Solo HD's and the ones drenched in color which is basically the same but colored in Matt. I think me and my friend who bought his pair with me are the first I have seen the Solo 2's or even the new Studios out in public lol

Sep 12, 2014 at 9:50 AM Post #171 of 444
It'll take a little while for the newest model to make its way into the public at the level of the older, but the fact does remain that between the Solo2 and the new Studio, Beats are dang fine consumer headphones. 

Sep 12, 2014 at 9:56 AM Post #172 of 444
It'll take a little while for the newest model to make its way into the public at the level of the older, but the fact does remain that between the Solo2 and the new Studio, Beats are dang fine consumer headphones. 
oh yeah... Stores still have stock of the original studio and solo HD so might take a while... But I hope pro 2 sounds somewhat like like the DNA pro. Wouldn't that be sumtin?.

Sep 12, 2014 at 10:06 AM Post #173 of 444
oh yeah... Stores still have stock of the original studio and solo HD so might take a while... But I hope pro 2 sounds somewhat like like the DNA pro. Wouldn't that be sumtin?.

I really need to give the DNA Pro another whack because the pair I played with were a demo unit and I was underwhelmed. But the DNA on-ears are STILL one of my favorites of the type. All I know is that even though I've meandered above the range of Best Buy headphones I absolutely love the fact that they ARE good purchases now. 

My next finger-cross is that ONE brand pops up that makes more neutral/flat headphones just because that market has to be there, but right now it's Beats or nothing. I'm thinking if someone like Shure or AKG can do something to crack into the "cool" market but keep their sound sig (SE846 notwithstanding) then maybe we could see a day when brick and mortar stores actually hold top-end merch. That'd be good for everyone. 

Sep 12, 2014 at 10:12 AM Post #174 of 444
I really need to give the DNA Pro another whack because the pair I played with were a demo unit and I was underwhelmed. But the DNA on-ears are STILL one of my favorites of the type. All I know is that even though I've meandered above the range of Best Buy headphones I absolutely love the fact that they ARE good purchases now. 

My next finger-cross is that ONE brand pops up that makes more neutral/flat headphones just because that market has to be there, but right now it's Beats or nothing. I'm thinking if someone like Shure or AKG can do something to crack into the "cool" market but keep their sound sig (SE846 notwithstanding) then maybe we could see a day when brick and mortar stores actually hold top-end merch. That'd be good for everyone. 
akg did actually... But Harman doesn't give akg money for advertising worth schiit. AKG K545, Y50, and a few more.

Sep 12, 2014 at 10:20 AM Post #175 of 444
akg did actually... But Harman doesn't give akg money for advertising worth schiit. AKG K545, Y50, and a few more.

Yeah they definitely made some excellent products, but like you said Harman needs to pump some serious promotion into those. And rename the damn things. Look at nearly any successful tech product, it has a name that you can remember. iPhone, Samsung Galaxy, Surface Pro, Macbook, Beats Studio, whatever. These things that are strings of letters and numbers are just shooting themselves in the foot.

What's that, the SRH1540? Oh it's SRH1840, my bad. I was sitting here with my HD598 looking at the HD650...

I'd love for any of those AKG headphones to get a display next to Beats and Sennheiser, the latter advertised for being more "energetic" and the former "refined" so there's kind of an even footing for all, sort of nudge people into considering that there are sounds out there beyond being optimized for current pop/rap/rock. 

Sep 12, 2014 at 12:02 PM Post #176 of 444
Yeah they definitely made some excellent products, but like you said Harman needs to pump some serious promotion into those. And rename the damn things. Look at nearly any successful tech product, it has a name that you can remember. iPhone, Samsung Galaxy, Surface Pro, Macbook, Beats Studio, whatever. These things that are strings of letters and numbers are just shooting themselves in the foot.

What's that, the SRH1540? Oh it's SRH1840, my bad. I was sitting here with my HD598 looking at the HD650...

I'd love for any of those AKG headphones to get a display next to Beats and Sennheiser, the latter advertised for being more "energetic" and the former "refined" so there's kind of an even footing for all, sort of nudge people into considering that there are sounds out there beyond being optimized for current pop/rap/rock. 
that's something I'd want to see too. Senny momentum had a spot on display at best buy last time I was there. AKG is a very cool name to throw around. They could also advertise just how much experience they've had, being founded in 1946 iirc. I'd say show a montage of
people wearing AKG headphones in studios throughout the years, and then today.

Sep 12, 2014 at 2:26 PM Post #177 of 444

I think Beats Electronics has made a Gem of a Headphone considering the price point and given it's past history and their dominance in the headphone market over $100.  The Beats solo 2 have very good Sound if you like Bass and gets the average consumer a very good sounding headphone along with a fashion piece :)     Now as long as Beats improve on this with their other offering like the Studio's  ( doubt it since V2 just came out) but with the Pro, In ear lineup, and the executive Beats might shed that "Beats Suck" moniker it has around here  

While I do like AKG headphones trying out a few my friend has I would just never wear them outside.   I also would consider myself a Bass head so while I do tend to like Bass emphasized headphones Neutral ones has a place as well 

Sep 12, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #178 of 444
I think Beats Electronics has made a Gem of a Headphone considering the price point and given it's past history and their dominance in the headphone market over $100.  The Beats solo 2 have very good Sound if you like Bass and gets the average consumer a very good sounding headphone along with a fashion piece :)     Now as long as Beats improve on this with their other offering like the Studio's  ( doubt it since V2 just came out) but with the Pro, In ear lineup, and the executive Beats might shed that "Beats Suck" moniker it has around here  

While I do like AKG headphones trying out a few my friend has I would just never wear them outside.   I also would consider myself a Bass head so while I do tend to like Bass emphasized headphones Neutral ones has a place as well 
have you seen the AKG K545?
k545.jpg

Sep 12, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #180 of 444

Users who are viewing this thread

Back