Beats Solo 2: Is the Head-Fi community willing to give these a fair chance?
Aug 24, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #106 of 444
May have to join your Solo2 cult thread later this week.

I said earlier in the thread that I tried them briefly in a local PCWorld and felt that although good I preferred my P7 and H6.  Despite this though there was something about the sound that I liked so I've ordered the red ones and should be here Friday.

Nice - your first beats too?

I've the elegant B&W P7's too - sound as good as they look - not heard the B&O H6, what's the sound like compared to the P7?

Congrats on your new solo2's :wink:

Aug 24, 2014 at 4:18 PM Post #107 of 444

I've the elegant B&W P7's too - sound as good as they look - not heard the B&O H6, what's the sound like compared to the P7?

Congrats on your new solo2's
wink.gif

H6 is very neutral and flat. The bass is accurate but light. Good for classical, jazz etc. but doesn't deserve the price in my opinion. That said, I must say it's the most comfortable and best looking portable headphones I've ever seen.

Aug 25, 2014 at 3:27 AM Post #109 of 444

wink.gif

Yes, first pair of Beats, to be honest any time I've heard Beats in the past I've thought they sound ok but overpriced for what they were but this may have changed with the Solo2. Will get a better idea after a bit of prolonged use.

The H6 compared to the P7 are alot lighter on bass but excel with their presentation of the mids. I would say the H6 are a more neutral headphone, lovely detailed sound with accurate bass, the bass doesn't overpower the highs or mids. The P7 sound great but in a different way to the H6, real kick and depth to the bass and a bit of extra sparkle on the highs but not harsh or piercing. Fit wise the H6 are light and I can wear them for hours. If I had to choose one though it would be the P7 just for the more fun sound and lovely build quality.

Aug 25, 2014 at 12:49 PM Post #110 of 444

wink.gif

Yes, first pair of Beats, to be honest any time I've heard Beats in the past I've thought they sound ok but overpriced for what they were but this may have changed with the Solo2. Will get a better idea after a bit of prolonged use.

The H6 compared to the P7 are alot lighter on bass but excel with their presentation of the mids. I would say the H6 are a more neutral headphone, lovely detailed sound with accurate bass, the bass doesn't overpower the highs or mids. The P7 sound great but in a different way to the H6, real kick and depth to the bass and a bit of extra sparkle on the highs but not harsh or piercing. Fit wise the H6 are light and I can wear them for hours. If I had to choose one though it would be the P7 just for the more fun sound and lovely build quality.

H6 are high quality headphones and the very neutral sound signature is surely attractive to some, but I just like at least slightly fun sound signature. One of my favourite headphones is HD650s, which are rather flat (compared to most headphones on the market, not compared to T1 or HD800, just saying) but with extra bass and lovely mids resulting in a very musical experience. Fostex TH900 has  V-shape signature but with amazing bass and treble.

Just like HD800s are boring to me, so are H6. They are very good, just not my cup of tea. And yes, if Sennheiser made HD850s with HD650s' sound signature and HD800s' resolution and technicality, I'd be the first in line to buy them (please don't say Auedeze LCD line, I dislike heavy headphones).

Aug 25, 2014 at 3:49 PM Post #111 of 444
Rock/metal sounds better on these than hip hop and rap does....who'd of thunk it!

Maybe this is your calling ThickT to check & wreck the solo2's dude? :wink:

If you only knew Dre Power of the Beatside....:veryevil:

To quote Mr.Hertsens himself from his YouTube beats solo2 review:

"So, good job Dr Dre! You really are giving people the sound as the artist intended it, thank you very much, I really, really appreciate that".

I listen to a lot of Dubstep on the solo2 which type of genre sounds as good to me as Metallica or Iron Maiden to my ears

I think beats have produced a exceptionally good sounding headphone that breaks away from the early models of Monster beats headcans that were perhaps more suited to hip-hop, bass driven genres of music, to the now solo2 which IMO covers a wide scope of most genres, albeit classical music may be not so appropriate for these cans.

Recommended tracks for the solo2

[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/K-0x90tMjI8[/VIDEO]​
[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/YJVmu6yttiw[/VIDEO]​

"BLACKENED" by Metallica absolutely blows up on the solo2's,
showboating these cans versatility and suitability for rock, fine style - electric
guitars soar, bass drum is impact punchy and fast, drum beats are crisp and
tight, cymbals are not harsh and the whole track is beautifully and expertly
brought together in a very balanced yet fun contradictory way :wink:
:beerchug:

[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/nPwj3Fhmgao[/VIDEO]

Aug 25, 2014 at 4:26 PM Post #112 of 444
Spoiler please cb3723 if you must post so many links / images at once...

Thanks.

Aug 25, 2014 at 5:09 PM Post #113 of 444
Spoiler please cb3723 if you must post so many links / images at once...

Thanks.

Duncan

Oops sorry man :xf_eek:
But no images here bro - I ain't falling for any of that banana in the tailpipe trap neither :wink:
I'll keep a check on that for sure :beerchug:

Out of interest - what tracks did you use to audition the solo2's? :)

(I absolutely understand if you don't wish to comment if you're a Justin Bieber fan :D :wink:)

------------------​

HiFiGuy528 (http://hifiguy528.com) unboxes the (PRODUCT)RED solo2, and compares it to the model that the solo2 superseded, namely the solo HD monochromatic drenched in colour, which is another beats headphone I definitely enjoy for sure and was released in matt finish only, no gloss, but you can bet a full range of matt finish colours will be on there way at some point for the solo2 - in fact Apple stores already have an exclusive solo2 in matt white out now - I linked this in a previous post found here:cool:
:beerchug: Thanks for making another excellent unboxing video Mike! :beerchug:

[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/2LC5jTTU1u4[/VIDEO]​

Also very worth mentioning and repeating what Mike pointed out in above video, Beats by Dr. Dre contributes a portion from the purchase price of every Beats by Dre (PRODUCT)RED Solo2 Headphones to the Global Fund to fight AIDS.

http://www.red.org/en/shop/beats-by-dre-productred-solo-2-headphones

solo2 (PRODUCT)RED
http://www.head-fi.org/g/i/1125439/red-beats-solo2-connected-directly-to-ipad-with-armani-cow-skin-cover/sort/display_order/

I'm sure other headphone brands do similar contributions to worthwhile causes, but it's worth noting that beats have been doing this for sometime now, something that many of the beats haters seemed to miss :wink:

I'm with Mike in agreeing that its a shame beats didn't continue the red carry pouch theme on into the red solo2, and also not including a quarter inch jack too. Beats also no longer have a pocket inside of the carry pouch which is another gripe I've got especially with the glossy solo2's as a pocket was handy to store the audio cable in and protect the headphones from being potentially scratched by the metal jack ends :confused_face: , and it seems beats no longer provide a microfiber beats branded cleaning cloth - :blink:

But one thing new I did personally learn from Mikes video is just how thorough the beats warranty actually is (providing its not abused by owners who have misused their cans of course) which seems to be on par with v-moda who more publicly advertise their very generous lifetime warranty - so thats very good info to know for sure and can only give potential new beats customers more confidence in the build quality of beats headphones, as they simply would not offer such essentially a life time warranty on their product if they didn't have confidence in their longevity and robustness :beerchug:

beats solo HD Monochromatic drenched in colour red
http://www.head-fi.org/g/i/1109353/beats-solo-hd-monochromatic-red/

Mike aka HiFiGuy528 breaks all the new beats headcans first along with a host of other brands and is my first place I go to to check the latest and greatest headcan releases - before they actually get released :cool:

Aug 26, 2014 at 11:23 PM Post #118 of 444
What color would be the most recommended? all are beautiful, but I would like to know the opinion of all.

If I had to pick from the default colors, I would probably pick the navy blue because I like being slightly different as I haven't seen anyone with navy blue Beats on, plus I like the dark blue color. If I was going the custom color route, I would choose chrome plated gold. If you are gonna rock Beats, you gotta do it right! Just kidding. But yeah, this is where I got my inspiration for the chrome gold, a chrome gold Ferarri I saw parked last month at South Coast Plaza:

(wasn't able to fully cut out my fiancé, because if I did I wouldn't be able to show the entire vehicle)

Aug 27, 2014 at 3:25 PM Post #119 of 444
What color would be the most recommended? all are beautiful, but I would like to know the opinion of all.

Hmmm....well colour choice is about as personal as it gets - there's really no right or wrong choices I guess.

But here's my takedown of the colour crown

solo2 colour review (glossy)

Black - sophisticated and suave , elegant and subtle - though the maverick of the (current) solo2 pack as it's the only one with red "b" logo compared to the others silver reflective silver "b" on each outer earcup.

Red - no surprises here for my opinion on this colour - flamboyant , fun, vibrant and attracts attention. People will see you coming with these on from miles away.
"Hey, check out my new Dre" is What red solo2's gotta say :cool:

White - the polar opposite of black but equal in sophistication and subtlety - won't show up fingerprints like the black glossy finish fingerprint magnet.

Grey - beats for the hipsters who no longer can resist the lure of the mighty beats. Probs claim they are sporting their grey beats as an anti-beats reverse psychology statement when in reality - they lovin em, in an avant garde way but hey, like 2pac would say "that's just the way it is" and "things will never be the same" and " ahh yeah".

Pink - brings all the laaddiieeess boys to the yard, this candy pink can is not just for the female solo2 fan but also any cool cat metrosexual that is fashion cool intellectual and confident enough to beats solo2 without lookin ruff.

Navy Blue - for the Brofist few who dig same shade of blue of Cap.America and his Avengers crew, similar to Superman too.

solo2 colour review (matt)

Matt white - currently only available as an Apple exclusive, the matt white solo2 is so bright like beats future - you gotta wear shades.

Think of Medusa's head only rather of turning you stone dead it will glare you out instead.

The matt finish on this can is the same as it's predecessor - the solo HD monochromatic, only it's pushed things further from what I see in that even the "b" logo on outer each earcup is bright white too and is like an unofficial Studio 2.0 snarkitecture special edition, which has that can all brilliant white complete with a marble pillow storage/headphone stand.

solo2 matt bright white makes the glossy white equivalent look light grey.

http://www.gq.com/blogs/the-feed/2014/05/beats-snarkitecture-headphones.html

Beats solo2 Invasion - lol :D
http://www.head-fi.org/g/i/1180619/beats-solo2-invasion-lol/

Here's another track I'm recommending for the solo2

:beerchug: [COLOR=FF00AA]Go Euphoric with your solo2's! [/COLOR]:beerchug:

[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/SQH6oX2AwrM[/VIDEO]

:)[COLOR=FF00AA]THRO YO HANDS UP SOLO2 PARTY CREW![/COLOR]:)

Aug 27, 2014 at 6:44 PM Post #120 of 444
If I had to pick from the default colors, I would probably pick the navy blue because I like being slightly different as I haven't seen anyone with navy blue Beats on, plus I like the dark blue color. If I was going the custom color route, I would choose chrome plated gold. If you are gonna rock Beats, you gotta do it right! Just kidding. But yeah, this is where I got my inspiration for the chrome gold, a chrome gold Ferarri I saw parked last month at South Coast Plaza:

(wasn't able to fully cut out my fiancé, because if I did I wouldn't be able to show the entire vehicle)

That chrome gold Ferrari picture - just wow :cool: It's got 3 tailpipes :basshead: now I wants one - bad :wink:

Dre wrecked his dark Navy Blue colour (I think that's the colour) Ferrari! :eek:

[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/VA770wpLX-Q[/VIDEO]

Luckily he recovered after being shoved in a large aquarium with Eminem rapping how great a pal Dre was to him...
...phew - that was a close call - wonder if that's some new kinda car wreck victim treatment? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back