Beats Pro - The Headphones Used To Mix In Every Major Studio.
May 9, 2014 at 3:05 PM Post #3 of 21
...and here I was, thinking the AKG K240 was probably still the ubiquitous studio cans. :-/

It does make some sense, though - using the kind of cans your target audience is likely to be using. I guess a lot of current popular music should be mixed using iPhone earbuds or Beats cans...

May 9, 2014 at 3:08 PM Post #4 of 21
Uhhhh....*puke*. Such scumbag marketing makes me sick. Imagine all the clueless people falling for it, jumping on the bandwagon and then spreading the disease to their friends...and so on. No wonder Apple is buying Beats for 3 billion dollars, they're gonna squeeze 20 times as much out of it in the next 10 years.

May 9, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #5 of 21
I guess those B&W Nautilus 800D speakers is just for decorations. Beats is all you need. 

May 9, 2014 at 3:28 PM Post #6 of 21
In terms of headphones, most studios probably use Audio Technica, Shure, the T50RP, and AKG. I don't think I've witnessed anyone master or monitor on anything else (for headphone checking of course, speakers are the way to go for 90% of the mixing process).

May 9, 2014 at 3:41 PM Post #7 of 21
  I guess those B&W Nautilus 800D speakers is just for decorations. Beats is all you need. 

Dude, you're not hearing it as the artist intended!

May 9, 2014 at 4:57 PM Post #8 of 21
"The headphones used to mix in every major studio"

- Academic majors' studio apartments.

"Beats Pro headphones are designed for sound engineers, musicians and those who take sound seriously"

- Even so, these people never buy them!

"They're the headphones that artists like Will.i.am use in the studio.."

- Wait, he's not wearing headphones - that's his hairstyle!

"..and are designed to deliver the same level of emotion and power the artist originally intended."

- Like Annie Lennox with 'Why'.

May 9, 2014 at 5:21 PM Post #9 of 21
...and here I was, thinking the AKG K240 was probably still the ubiquitous studio cans. :-/

It does make some sense, though - using the kind of cans your target audience is likely to be using. I guess a lot of current popular music should be mixed using iPhone earbuds or Beats cans...

likely to be using TODAY. Trendy things like Beats can easily gone tomorrow, or gone as soon as their newest celebrity limited edition set comes out. Bottom line is music is essentially forever once its recorded, so mixing to what the most popular headphone is today seems short-sighted to me, when next year the most popular headphone could be completely different. Plus headphones are not the only way people listen to music. A lot of it is done in cars, and on crappy computer monitors via crappy YouTube videos. 

May 9, 2014 at 5:34 PM Post #10 of 21
I don't see how people could mix on a K240...at least not judging by my K240 Studios. No sub-bass, boosted mid-bass, piercing 10 kHz spike.

But seriously no one in their right mind should use these Pros for mixing, that's the most painful thing I've ever read. So incredibly incorrect.

You are way more likely to see people referencing on K701s, HD600s, and maybe even 7506s than this Beats garbage.

May 9, 2014 at 5:44 PM Post #11 of 21
I've got some old 600 ohm K240DFs I've mixed on for years - but never exclusively of course.

In fact, that's another inaccuracy - mixes need testing out on speakers too!

May 10, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #13 of 21
likely to be using TODAY. Trendy things like Beats can easily gone tomorrow, or gone as soon as their newest celebrity limited edition set comes out. Bottom line is music is essentially forever once its recorded, so mixing to what the most popular headphone is today seems short-sighted to me, when next year the most popular headphone could be completely different.  

-While I do agree with you in principle, I think it is a safe bet that when today's hip headphones becomes yesterday's news, so will most of today's hip music...

Oh, I sound like a grumpy old fart. My apologies. :)

May 10, 2014 at 3:02 PM Post #14 of 21
There's a difference between headphones used for 'getting things right' and 'checking sound with inferior equipment likely used by target audience'... Beats falls into the latter category, i.e. studios may check if it sounds at least half-decent on these things or needs further adjustments. Thats not what I'd call monitoring headphones... but I guess many people reading such adverts don't know much about the work of a sound engineer.

May 10, 2014 at 4:35 PM Post #15 of 21
Is it possible that some unfounded and undeserved despise exists in this community towards this specific brand?
Could there be a bias which makes audiophiles assume that heavily marketed, popular products, aren't good by default?
How many of the people bashing the sound quality of this specific headphones actually heard them?

Not saying they are any good neither defending the questionable marketing claims they make, just asking some questions..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back