Beats???? Mehhh...other options??
Oct 25, 2012 at 9:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

brent03

New Head-Fier
So here is my dilemma. I do not consider myself to be an audiophile, but I do consider myself to be someone who enjoys good music and a good set of cans to deliver it.

I've been surfing the forums for a pretty good while now, and figured I would post a thread of my own.

First off, I listen to Rap, Rock and Indie. When I listen to rap I want a pair of over the ear headphones that deliver a punchy bass that I can feel.  I travel quite a bit as well so I need a set of cans that isolate me from the world, lol...I don't want to hear the airplane or people in the airport.

I bought the beats studio's today to test them out (thank you 30-day return policy), and I will say that I was expecting more. The sound is good but not what I expected, I can tell that the bass doesn't have that punch and it just kinda struggles it seems like.

I will admit (shall I be shunned) but I love the looks of the beats (sorry).

I have a pair of Astro A30's that I use for gaming and I think I will keep them to that.

Soooooo haven't said all of that. What are a pair of cans that are fashionable (shoot me), deliver crisp clear sound and punchy bass for under $300.

It sucks because Best Buy has a limited selection so you can't listen to all the options, so that's why I came to the experts.

Also what if I just added a Digizoid ZO2 to the beats? that help at all?

Thanks guys!

Oct 25, 2012 at 10:48 PM Post #2 of 38

Hello Brent-03 and welcome to Head-Fi.
First of all you should realize that Beats, Skullcandy and Monster are not really welcome to the party here, as they tend to be overpriced, poor quality and very poor sounding 'bling'.
Please stay away from noise cancelling phones as any headphone that requires batteries isn't a headphone.
And once you have found some decent headphones you will quickly realize that Beats etc do NOT produce proper bass, just muddy, distorted bass that covers over the rest of the spectrum.
And in terms of the Digizoid Z02 - forget it, no need to say any more.
You're best off NOT purchasing headphones from Best-Buy.  They are overpriced and VERY limited selection.
I suggest that you spend some time perusing the threads here and doing some reading as you will get some excellent information to guide your journey.
And if 'looks' are your prime concern then just stop looking and buy some Beats or Skullcandy and forget about SQ

Have you considered V-Moda Crossfades?   Good luck in your journey

Oct 25, 2012 at 11:01 PM Post #4 of 38
Thanks for the replies guys! 

I do agree that Best Buy is not the best route to purchase, and never do I purchase in a retail store (Amazon, cough cough) but I figured I would try them out thanks to a return policy.

I'll check out the V-Moda's

Oct 26, 2012 at 12:48 AM Post #6 of 38
While I haven't heard them, the M-100s are likely to have the better 'crisp clear sound' that you're looking for. If you're up for a big read, check out the thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/592389/v-moda-m-100-discussion-feedback-reviews-pics-etc

Oct 26, 2012 at 12:53 AM Post #7 of 38
Best buy started carrying the monster DNA on ears last week. Check those out. Quite a step up from the beats line as far as sound quality goes. Plus then you can still take advantage of the return policy. They compare favorably to the vmoda m80s.

I ordered some m100s so we will see how those compete once they arrive In a month or two.

Oct 26, 2012 at 1:07 AM Post #8 of 38
Quote:
Best buy started carrying the monster DNA on ears last week. Check those out. Quite a step up from the beats line as far as sound quality goes. Plus then you can still take advantage of the return policy. They compare favorably to the vmoda m80s.
I ordered some m100s so we will see how those compete once they arrive In a month or two.

Monster = beats. 

The beyer Custom one pro seems like the ideal headphone. 

Oct 26, 2012 at 1:45 AM Post #9 of 38
Quote:

Monster = beats. 

The beyer Custom one pro seems like the ideal headphone. 

Technically, no.  They split up earlier this year (allegedly), tho you can still see the owners name (noel lee) on the new Beats Executive box so yeah, they are still in bed together, but not nearly as high profile.

And Monster does not EQUAL Beats...the DNAs are so far superior to the Solo HDs they compete with it's not even worth the space this is written in.

Oct 26, 2012 at 1:57 AM Post #10 of 38
Quote:

Technically, no.  They split up earlier this year (allegedly), tho you can still see the owners name (noel lee) on the new Beats Executive box so yeah, they are still in bed together, but not nearly as high profile.

And Monster does not EQUAL Beats...the DNAs are so far superior to the Solo HDs they compete with it's not even worth the space this is written in.

If they only lowered the price and changed the design, i'd buy one pair for myself. 
wink.gif

Dont want to start another beats discussion though. 

Oct 26, 2012 at 2:28 AM Post #11 of 38
Don't buy headphones from Best Buy, ever.

I work there, and as an employee I can see the cost of a product (as in how much Best Buy purchases that product for to resell it) and the headphones are always, always double the price. Furthermore, they're usually $20 above MSRP. The only reason I buy stuff there is because of my discount, but even then I find stuff cheaper in other places.

Honestly, despite the headphones they have at my job, I ended up paying $200 for a pair of headphones that I really enjoy that they don't sell there. It's not like you buy them everyday so, as someone else on the forum usually says: Buy them nice or buy them twice.

Oct 29, 2012 at 10:48 AM Post #12 of 38
Well my V-Moda LP2's arrived a day early! Took them out the box and listened (hip-hop only so far).  I will say that the bass is much better, it's much fuller and not distorted but the treble doesn't seem as crisp. Going over to some Rock next....and taking the beats back to Best Buy

Oct 29, 2012 at 2:23 PM Post #15 of 38
Under $300 - Find a Denon AH-D2000 here in the sale trade forums. Rap is perfect for Denon - D2000 got the subwoofer punchy bass for rap. Also my roommate has monster beats, in terms of looks and sound quality, the D2000 completely rapes the Beats - the Denon makes it look like a toy.

Even though the isolation isn't the best, I can still use it in public without any disturbances. The D2000 are closed, however not sealed, so that way you get a great soundstage.

The Denon D2000 are one of the best all rounders at their price point. I am certain you can find a used D2000 in the sale forums for $250.

Also the Denon's are very efficient to use, a portable amp of course helps it a lot, but even straight off an Ipod or Sansa Fuze, it manages to still sound very decent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back