Beats by Dr. Dre/Skullcandy Headphones-- are they really that good or just an overpriced fashion staement?
Oct 10, 2010 at 8:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

bvzxa3

Head-Fier
I will never say I am an audiophile. I just DJ, mix and appreciate all kinds of music. However through out my life I have been exposed to great audio equipment such as Bose, Panasonic (80s), Aiwa (90s), and Sony.

I have had different pairs of headphones since the mid 80s from cheap to uber expensive. I had some that were cheap and awesome, and others that were expensive and thrown in a corner. I really just got back into the quest for multiple pairs of headphones due to weekend mixes I do, and recording of vinyl to wav format.

I don't wear them as a fashion statement, but to listen. I think with my XD200's I have started a trend at work. People wanna compare Skullcrushers to my XD200's, and the SC's seem to miss the boat. I had a similar looking Koss go up against what I think are crappy headphones I have, and Koss sounded so hollow. I have even been offered a trade for some SC's. I don't like my XD200's but we only sell the XD100's and the price was the same on Amazon.

Now I keep hearing some idiot at work bragg that he gonna get some Beats Headphones and blow me out. No biggie I said. I know they use monster cables and such. But alas I ordered some MDR-V6's from Newegg last night until 2011 when I get the CD900ST's aka MDR-V7's. I may even try out the V900HD's as a back up.

Now, from you guys are any of these SC's or Dre Beats worth a shot. I kinda like what Dre and Monster have going, but I wanna know will they be as good as V6's or CD900ST's (MDR-V7) or maybe Sennheiser coz my fiend love those headphones.

I see 4 and 5 star reviews but it seems to be part of the hype for the Beats heaphones...I think Id get more truthful responses here.

Oct 10, 2010 at 9:00 PM Post #3 of 23

Quote:
I will never say I am an audiophile. I just DJ, mix and appreciate all kinds of music. However through out my life I have been exposed to great audio equipment such as Bose, Panasonic (80s), Aiwa (90s), and Sony.

I have had different pairs of headphones since the mid 80s from cheap to uber expensive. I had some that were cheap and awesome, and others that were expensive and thrown in a corner. I really just got back into the quest for multiple pairs of headphones due to weekend mixes I do, and recording of vinyl to wav format.

I don't wear them as a fashion statement, but to listen. I think with my XD200's I have started a trend at work. People wanna compare Skullcrushers to my XD200's, and the SC's seem to miss the boat. I had a similar looking Koss go up against what I think are crappy headphones I have, and Koss sounded so hollow. I have even been offered a trade for some SC's. I don't like my XD200's but we only sell the XD100's and the price was the same on Amazon.

Now I keep hearing some idiot at work bragg that he gonna get some Beats Headphones and blow me out. No biggie I said. I know they use monster cables and such. But alas I ordered some MDR-V6's from Newegg last night until 2011 when I get the CD900ST's aka MDR-V7's. I may even try out the V900HD's as a back up.

Now, from you guys are any of these SC's or Dre Beats worth a shot. I kinda like what Dre and Monster have going, but I wanna know will they be as good as V6's or CD900ST's (MDR-V7) or maybe Sennheiser coz my fiend love those headphones.

I see 4 and 5 star reviews but it seems to be part of the hype for the Beats heaphones...I think Id get more truthful responses here.

I didn't read your post but reading your title I think should be enough. They are more than twice the amount of what they're worth. The bass is overly bloated, which blends into the mids causing a muddy sound. TBH, if you want good sound quality, they are trash. If you are one of those people who like overly exaggerated bass and don't care about anything else, by all means go for it.

Oct 10, 2010 at 9:13 PM Post #4 of 23
Yeah I may have TMI in my intiital post, but I think I stated soemthing when I started wearing XD200's and everyone has something to say.

Oct 10, 2010 at 9:17 PM Post #5 of 23
Just do a quick sear- hell, forget a search, just skim through the first 2 pages of the Headphones forums and you'll see a ton of threads dedicated to just how awesome we think Monster/Skullcandy headphones really are.

Oct 10, 2010 at 9:21 PM Post #7 of 23
Hey, there's some Turbine love, so be sure not to equate those to the Beats.

And the fact that Bose was in the great sound equipment category has made me sad. 
triportsad.gif

Oct 10, 2010 at 10:15 PM Post #10 of 23

Quote:
Hey, there's some Turbine love, so be sure not to equate those to the Beats.

And the fact that Bose was in the great sound equipment category has made me sad. 
triportsad.gif

Bose was the first thing I could remember as a child. I forgot Yamaha too. I owned a Yamaha receiver that had 250 watts per channel. That was a backroom deal which later got backroomed from me. Miss my old Technics 70watt receiver which took out a 100watt Pioneer receiver. In fact it had no EQ, just bass and treble, but damn everything sounded so clear through it on my homemade speaker. Found the thing in the trash walking through the rich peoples neighborhood.

Oct 10, 2010 at 10:31 PM Post #11 of 23
I'd be willing to bet the V6's are better than the Beats. They might not have the overpowering bass so many people are looking for, but overall I'd bet the V6's sound better. V6's get a lot of love for studio use, and I've never heard the same regarding the Beats, despite them being marketed as "Studio" headphones. Then again that could just be because the V6's are so excellently priced...

On the Skullcandy side... I really don't think there's anything salvageable there...

I heard some Bose around-ear headphones at the store, and I gotta say, I don't think it's fair that they get compared to Skullcandy and Beats though, as I felt they were actually somewhat worth the price. They didn't sound bad by any means, and I think the price is pretty reasonable for an average consumer headphone. I think they were the $120 ones... I did hear the active noise canceling ones... The $170 ones, and they were pretty crappy.

Oct 11, 2010 at 1:03 AM Post #12 of 23
Beats by Dr. Dre is like buying an $80 Lacoste shirt instead of a $12 Saddlebred polo from Belk; you get the same thing, but at a much lower price. 

My point?  It's just another Bose revolution, IE: good marketing that leads to a good name.

Oct 11, 2010 at 6:10 AM Post #13 of 23
That and flooding the market and price range.

What other high end headphone can most consumers think of?

Oct 11, 2010 at 10:58 AM Post #14 of 23
Skullcandy = Crap. No two ways about it. They're a fashion accessory, nothing more.

Beats by Dre = Decent, but overpriced for what you get.

Oct 11, 2010 at 5:50 PM Post #15 of 23

Quote:
I'd be willing to bet the V6's are better than the Beats. They might not have the overpowering bass so many people are looking for, but overall I'd bet the V6's sound better. V6's get a lot of love for studio use, and I've never heard the same regarding the Beats, despite them being marketed as "Studio" headphones. Then again that could just be because the V6's are so excellently priced...

On the Skullcandy side... I really don't think there's anything salvageable there...

I heard some Bose around-ear headphones at the store, and I gotta say, I don't think it's fair that they get compared to Skullcandy and Beats though, as I felt they were actually somewhat worth the price. They didn't sound bad by any means, and I think the price is pretty reasonable for an average consumer headphone. I think they were the $120 ones... I did hear the active noise canceling ones... The $170 ones, and they were pretty crappy.

Yeah, I got those V6's from Newegg Saturday. I have to deal with XD200's until Thursday after work. I think I'll take them for a walk due to the coolness of the afternoons now. why the Bose dislike from some people. I always thought they deserved a chance in the headphone market. Their reputation for the older generation, well, older older generation has always been that's the best system to get. My dad, mom, and uncles all had or have some type of bose system. I had either Sony, Aiwa, Yamaha, or technics in my possesion. My headphones are used through a computer which its audio is RCA cable fed to an old Aiwa shelf system.

As for the SC's, one guy at work is getting the one's with the Miami Heat logo's on them he said today. Waiting for the guy to get his Beats in from Amazon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back