Beats by Dr. Dre headphones?
Nov 7, 2008 at 9:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

milkweg

Banned
Most pretentious name for headphones I have ever seen and I don't even know who Dr. Dre is (assumed a rapper) but how do they sound? They are expensive so would expect them to sound good but considering that they are a Monster product maybe not. What's the consensus on these headphones?

Beats by Dr. Dre

Nov 7, 2008 at 9:31 PM Post #2 of 46
some consensus is that they would sound good if they where a little cheaper...

Nov 7, 2008 at 9:33 PM Post #3 of 46
Dude, you don't know Dre? The Chronic? Hip hop staple. If you have any hip hop in your collection....

Seriously, these guys must be nuts. "The most advanced headphones ever developed..." What a bunch of wankers.

Available at Best Buy...

******* (can I say that here?).

Monsters attempt at making headphones mainstream.

Nov 7, 2008 at 9:35 PM Post #4 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkweg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most pretentious name for headphones I have ever seen and I don't even know who Dr. Dre is (assumed a rapper) but how do they sound? They are expensive so would expect them to sound good but considering that they are a Monster product maybe not. What's the consensus on these headphones?

Beats by Dr. Dre

Lol. Bose are expensive but don't sound good for its price range.

Nov 7, 2008 at 9:49 PM Post #8 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by jay.money /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How would them being cheaper affect the sound quality?

From a few minute audition at BB, I determined they sound much better than Bose, but that's not saying much. They have a hefty price tag though.
At half the price, maybe respectable if one were in the market for noise cancelling phones, that are iTouch compatable.

Nov 7, 2008 at 10:05 PM Post #10 of 46
Quote:

He's been around about as long as PE. Former member of NWA.

Dr. Dre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

OK, used to have an NWA album but someone gave it to me and didn't buy it myself. As you can probably tell I am not big on rap.

I read up a bit more on these headphones and apparently they require batteries because they have an amp built in to them so you are getting an amp and headphones for the price.

Nov 7, 2008 at 11:29 PM Post #12 of 46
Quote:

How would them being cheaper affect the sound quality?

read the big topic
tongue.gif

seems like they are ok, just overpriced (as all monster-stuff is)

Nov 7, 2008 at 11:58 PM Post #13 of 46
I think we can try them at Apple store

And about Dr.Dre, he is nothing when he stayed at NWA. Ice cube and Eazy E are the stars at that period.

For this Beats headphone, it said Dre participate in design. I dunno which part of design he participated......

Nov 8, 2008 at 12:06 AM Post #14 of 46
I used to like Ice-T but never listened to Ice Cube. LL Kool J was ok back then too. I liked Public Enemy the best though and still do but lkike I said I am not big on rap.

If you read the Beat headphone link I provided it says Dr. Dre had a lot of input on the headphones and he listened to 20 prototypes before he settled on the sound he liked. But for all I know he may have damaged his hearing from all that rap so may not be the best judge of good sound quality.

Nov 8, 2008 at 2:22 AM Post #15 of 46
But as a producer, Dr. Dre has shined, more than he did rapping as part of NWA.

Anyway, as others have said, they are good but overpriced and sounds not what you'd expect considering the demographic they target (a good and a bad thing depending on your view).

Also there's massive thread on these phones and well, I hate to say you've fallen for the 'rapper' stereotype.
Thing is rap producers and MC's are among the most appreciative people in terms of music yet when they create music, no-one appreciates them which is well ironic.
Thing is Dre does care for sound quality as stated in that thread.
The only thing that's damaged his ears is natural ageing.
Also music fans do realise that artists do listen to music outside their genres especially rap artists..gees..honestly...

e.g. Sampling used in Nas' Illmatic album:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illmatic#Track_listing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back