Beats Are Magical! And Other Nearly-Criminal Marketing Schemes
Jul 23, 2012 at 12:25 AM Post #63 of 436
Quote:
Yea... we kind of got that by now o.o
And not only that, a society where many don't consider truth in advertising.

I don't think that advertisement alone can make people believe it, as we all (or at least most of us) completely disregard any ad on TV as pure BS. However, it only takes one uneducated person to try a product and think it's great for it to explode everywhere. You see that Soul and SMS and all those other celebrity headphone brands haven't really been all that successful because they sold in low numbers initially, meaning that there was little influence to be had on an already-biased population.

Jul 23, 2012 at 1:05 AM Post #65 of 436
Quote:
The Beats marketing is atrocious. 'Nuff said.

Reminds me of how Sennheiser marketed their HD205s as Studio Monitor DJ headphones. Paradox much?

On that subject, I have a love/hate relationship with the fact that all the good headphones at Best Buy are shoved in the Pro Audio/DJ section. Even the TMA-1 was over there, and it's literally designed for the MP3 section.

Jul 23, 2012 at 1:57 AM Post #68 of 436
Quote:
I just can't help but laugh at the fact that Beats (tm)'d Pro.

If they start suing other headphone companies for using that name years before them, we have to go ahead and call their bluff. Anyone down to make protest signs?

Jul 23, 2012 at 2:52 AM Post #71 of 436
lol "studio quality", that junk is for little kids living in their parent's basements. That stuff can't even touch the X-Fi Experience.
jecklinsmile.gif

Jul 23, 2012 at 7:27 AM Post #72 of 436
Quote:
What I meant is that whether it is intentional or not the government are too lazy and stingy to investigate and enforce legislation on these sort of things. It is very bad for the consumer really because there is a LOT of very misleading false advertising going on but the government agencies do not do a very good job controlling this at all. This applies to many areas such as headphones, electronics, food etc etc. Things could be worse I suppose but really I think they should make more effort to crack down on false advertising and misleading product descriptions because at the moment manufacturers can get away with blatant lies and false information quite easily!

(restrain myself from screaming "Hello!?  This is the same 'big government' that's so demonized right now!  The market cannot and does not regulate itself!  Stop whining about yr g**damn taxes!")

Where was I?  Yeah.

Jul 23, 2012 at 8:03 AM Post #73 of 436
Quote:
lol "studio quality", that junk is for little kids living in their parent's basements. That stuff can't even touch the X-Fi Experience.
jecklinsmile.gif

lol a prime example of some BS plucked out of thin air by marketing
Quote:
(restrain myself from screaming "Hello!?  This is the same 'big government' that's so demonized right now!  The market cannot and does not regulate itself!  Stop whining about yr g**damn taxes!")

Where was I?  Yeah.

What is your point? Are you saying I am wrong?!

It is not the markets responsibilty, (well it is but clearly that does not work)... Government needs to stop being lazy / making excuses and put some legislation in place.

Jul 23, 2012 at 8:04 AM Post #74 of 436
Quote:
I don't think that advertisement alone can make people believe it, as we all (or at least most of us) completely disregard any ad on TV as pure BS. However, it only takes one uneducated person to try a product and think it's great for it to explode everywhere. You see that Soul and SMS and all those other celebrity headphone brands haven't really been all that successful because they sold in low numbers initially, meaning that there was little influence to be had on an already-biased population.

The problem is that like the majority of people are "one uneducated person" ...

Jul 23, 2012 at 9:49 AM Post #75 of 436
Quote:

lol a prime example of some BS plucked out of thin air by marketing

What is your point? Are you saying I am wrong?!

It is not the markets responsibilty, (well it is but clearly that does not work)... Government needs to stop being lazy / making excuses and put some legislation in place.

The government isn't being lazy, we simply are not their actual constituency (among many other problems).  If you want consumer protection laws and enforcement, you have to pay for it.  Whether it's taxes or the market, caveat emptor applies here.

Honestly though - headphone fidelity claims are not likely to rustle the jimmies of anyone not a hi-fi/head-fi geek.  We aren't the 99%.  We are totally different 0.000235%. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back