Beatles White Album - one of the best quality recordings ever made?
Jun 23, 2005 at 5:17 PM Post #2 of 13
They were pretty good for when they were made. I would like to see the catalog remastered and put on SACD, though. A remaster of the mono Sgt. Pepper and a few other albums would really catch my fancy.

Jun 23, 2005 at 9:31 PM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by PSmith08
They were pretty good for when they were made. I would like to see the catalog remastered and put on SACD, though. A remaster of the mono Sgt. Pepper and a few other albums would really catch my fancy.

Yeah, that would be great and I'd buy them in a heartbeat. It really is too bad that most Beatles albums are hard to listen on headphones.

Jun 23, 2005 at 9:33 PM Post #4 of 13
Are you listening to vinyl? Everyone seems to hate the quality of the mastering on the Beatles CDs. It's only been done once and has remained the same since the mid-80s. That whole catalog really needs a spruce up. Anyway, if the White Album sounds good to you on CD, it's despite the bad mastering. Imagine what it will sound like when it's done right.

Jun 23, 2005 at 11:44 PM Post #5 of 13
I like the sound of my vinyl version of hte WHite Album...
But most of the vinyl from the beatles otherwise isn't that great at all, IMO, unless it's the japanese ones. I have a US version of Help! and a Japanese, and the Japanese kicks ass.

Jun 24, 2005 at 4:38 AM Post #7 of 13
holy crap! droooool... god i wish i was rich.

i was lucky enough to get a decent copy of a japanese pressing of sgt pepper and yes, it is better than the original release and cd. i have many of the original capitol records too and the only one that stands out to my ear as being clearly superior to the cd is magical mystery tour.

the "let it be... naked" cd and anthology cd's will give you a glimpse of what remasters might sound like. but for discs mastered in the '80's, the beatles cd catalog sounds pretty damn good as is.

Jun 24, 2005 at 5:54 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter
holy crap! droooool... god i wish i was rich.

i was lucky enough to get a decent copy of a japanese pressing of sgt pepper and yes, it is better than the original release and cd. i have many of the original capitol records too and the only one that stands out to my ear as being clearly superior to the cd is magical mystery tour.

the "let it be... naked" cd and anthology cd's will give you a glimpse of what remasters might sound like. but for discs mastered in the '80's, the beatles cd catalog sounds pretty damn good as is.

I'd like to see MFSL do a complete remaster in DSD and release it on SACD. At this point, I'd say that the technology is there to make these albums really sparkle. They deserve it, they are landmarks in popular music and their condition on CD right now is little short of lamentable. As noted, they are pretty good - for what they are. It's just that they could be so much better.

Jun 24, 2005 at 6:16 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by dknightd
If you want to hear the beatles done right you need the MFSL versions.
Here is the hot ticket
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...740989273&rd=1

i'm listening to that vinyl collection right now.
biggrin.gif

Jun 24, 2005 at 1:29 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by PsychoZX
i'm listening to that vinyl collection right now.
biggrin.gif

Show off
wink.gif

Jun 25, 2005 at 8:41 PM Post #11 of 13
Of all their current CD's, it's one of the better ones. I think that the production work is pretty good, when one considers how long ago it was remastered for CD.

I hold out hope for the Beatles catalog falling into the hands of Sony/EMI, and some kind of remastering in hi-rez format taking place. I don't know how well that would work on the earlier stuff, but for recordings made from Rubber Soul forward, it is a dream that could come true.

Jun 26, 2005 at 1:15 PM Post #12 of 13
I have the Mobile Fidelity vinyl copy of this album.Although the recording is fairly well done,It is really nothing special.To be honest I have a hard time playing this album without picking up the tone arm.Even though this recording contains a fair amount of good material,it contains way too much filler.Sexy Sadie is by far the finest track on it.

Jun 26, 2005 at 5:39 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by ssportclay
I have the Mobile Fidelity vinyl copy of this album.Although the recording is fairly well done,It is really nothing special.To be honest I have a hard time playing this album without picking up the tone arm.Even though this recording contains a fair amount of good material,it contains way too much filler.Sexy Sadie is by far the finest track on it.

I think it's the fact that the music sounds so damn good that it makes the recording sound better than it is.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back