beatles: sgt. pepper's missing tracks
Jul 6, 2002 at 7:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

redshifter

High Fidelity Gentility• redrum....I mean redshifter• Pee-pee. Hoo-hoo.• I ♥ Garfield
i remember reading on the inet somewhere that there are songs that were originally supposed to be on sgt. pepper's that were put on magical mystery tour instead. i believe a couple where "i am the walrus" and "strawberry fields". does anyone have a link to the original track list for sgt peppers that includes these songs, and what order they were to be? i want to make a cd that includes these songs in the right place. thanks in advance.

Jul 6, 2002 at 10:53 PM Post #2 of 31
redshifter,

as far as i know, the beatles worked on 4 other songs that didn't make the cut (or were released prior to sgt. pepper).

1. penny lane
2. strawberry fields forever
3. it's only a northern song (Harrison)
4. you know my name (look up the number).

i am the walrus was recorded after sgt. pepper.

it's only a northern song, written by Harrison, ended up on the 'yellow submarine' soundtrack.

penny lane and strawberry fields were released as a single in late 1966.
these two were the first songs recorded in the sgt. pepper sessions.

you know my name (look up my number) began in 1967 and then was abandoned. it was later brought back to life and completed in 1969. it was released in 1988 on the 'past masters vol. 2' disc.

all great songs -- especially it's only a northern song.

arnett
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 6, 2002 at 11:27 PM Post #3 of 31
How I remember anxiously awaiting the release of Sgt. Pepper back in '67. I was twelve and The Beatles were my favorites (nobody but the Stones were even close). I was certain Strawberry Fields and Penny Lane would be on the album.....but, alas...

While I was not disappointed with the music on the LP, I just couldn't believe these tunes were not included.

I still think they would have complimented the album tremendously!

frown.gif

Jul 7, 2002 at 12:23 AM Post #4 of 31
I have two different rarities discs..that um....yeah, i have.

drop me an email if interested.

Jul 7, 2002 at 12:53 AM Post #5 of 31
thanks arnett.

do you know where those songs fit in with the released tracks? btw, "only a northern song" has always been one of my favorite beatles songs.

gloco, i am interested, although i'm not sure what you have...

Jul 7, 2002 at 12:57 AM Post #6 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by gloco

drop me an email if interested.

I sent you an e-mail, gloco...

wink.gif

Jul 7, 2002 at 1:10 AM Post #7 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by redshifter
thanks arnett.

do you know where those songs fit in with the released tracks? btw, "only a northern song" has always been one of my favorite beatles songs.

gloco, i am interested, although i'm not sure what you have...

Just click on the www button and you'll be brought to my website, i charge nothing.

George

Jul 7, 2002 at 3:59 AM Post #8 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by RickG
While I was not disappointed with the music on the LP, I just couldn't believe these tunes were not included.

So which two tracks would you have thrown out for Penny and Strawberry?

Jul 7, 2002 at 4:25 AM Post #9 of 31
Quote:

do you know where those songs fit in with the released tracks?

if you have the sgt. pepper's CD, it lists the tracks in order of the date of recording. it also details a different original playing order for side one:

1. sgt. pepper
2. little help from my friends
3. benefit of mr. kite!
4. fixing a hole
5. L.S.D
6. getting better
7. she's leaving home.

side 2 was presumably the same.

i like sgt. pepper, but it's not my favorite. it sounds so . . . 1967. i like revolver better (not to mention rubber soul ).
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

ah, beatles bootlegs. every beatles fan sould have a few discs of these!

sgt. pepper cover:
B000002UAU.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Jul 7, 2002 at 1:56 PM Post #10 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by jopi

So which two tracks would you have thrown out for Penny and Strawberry?

LOL, jopi.....I'd have to keep them all..
biggrin.gif

Jul 7, 2002 at 2:04 PM Post #11 of 31
Don't have the running times in front of me, but if my distant memory serves most record albums could only fit @45 minutes of music, so perhaps there physically wasn't room on record for those songs.

We are so used to having almost 80 minute Cds, and really feel cheated when they put a 40 minute album on CD and leave half of the disc blank.

Jul 7, 2002 at 9:16 PM Post #13 of 31
stg pepper's was a gatefold type lp. they could have easily fit another record in there. i'm sure even with the extra cost people would have bought it. it's the beatles!

a agree da, i'm alway disappointed when they reissue some fantasic album on cd and only put 40 minutes of music on. that's why i like md and burning my own.

arnett,
do you have a link that shows the dates of recording for released beatles songs? i found a few websites that have recording dates, but they include waaaay to much information to sift through, like:
dec. 8, 1966, she's leaving home, mono subliminal backmasking tracks #14j: "paul is dead"
if i can get those dates it sounds like it will be my key to reconstructing the original songlist for sgt pepper's.

Jul 7, 2002 at 9:48 PM Post #14 of 31
Quote:

stg pepper's was a gatefold type lp. they could have easily fit another record in there. i'm sure even with the extra cost people would have bought it. it's the beatles!

they only had 3 other songs. plus, quite a few people had bought the 45rpm single of strawberry fields b/w penny lane.
better to have all new songs on sgt. pepper if you ask me.

Quote:

do you have a link that shows the dates of recording for released beatles songs? i found a few websites that have recording dates, but they include waaaay to much information to sift through, like:

it's in the CD booklet. at least in mine. i bought my sgt. pepper CD on june 2, 1987 when it came out. perhaps they've changed the booklet -- it's quite thick.

there's this great book that details ALL the recording dates and what was recorded. it's out of print, however. sounds like what you need. here's the amazon.com link:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...431845-4859035

Quote:

dec. 8, 1966, she's leaving home, mono subliminal backmasking tracks #14j: "paul is dead"

this is ********. she's leaving home was recorded on march 17, 1967.

Jul 7, 2002 at 11:24 PM Post #15 of 31
"If these tracks had been included, which two tracks could have been dropped to make way? George Martin went as far as to name 'Lovely Rita' and 'When I'm 64' for the chop. "

-http://www.sgtpeppers.co.uk/sgtpep.html

"The songs for the album were recorded in the following order:
• When I'm Sixty-Four (12/6/66)
• A Day In The Life (1/19/67)
• Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (2/1/67)
• Good Morning, Good Morning (2/8/67)
• Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite! (2/17/67)
• Fixing A Hole (2/21/67)
• Lovely Rita (2/23/67)
• Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds (3/1/67)
• Getting Better (3/9/67)
• She's Leaving Home (3/17/67)
• Within You, Without You (3/22/67)
• With A Little Help From My Friends (3/29/67)
• Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise) (4/1/67)

Also, the songs "Strawberry Fields Forever" and "Penny Lane" were recorded during the Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band sessions and were released as a single in December of 1966. The song "Only A Northern Song" from the Yellow Submarine soundtrack was also recorded at this time. "

-
http://www.eliteentertainment.net/be...sgtpepper.html

This is all I could find

Users who are viewing this thread

Back