Beatles: Love
Nov 21, 2006 at 3:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 84

humanflyz

Headphoneus Supremus
So who's going to pick up this album? Or is messing with the Beatles heresy?
biggrin.gif

Anyways, I got my copy from an advanced source *cough cough*, suffice to say that I really like it: my worst fears have been vanquished, not to mention the good recording quality. I will be picking this one up tomorrow for sure.

Nov 21, 2006 at 4:04 PM Post #2 of 84
It's an intriguing concept but at the same time you have to wonder if it's demeaning/disrespectful to the Beatles' legacy. Still, it's got the word "Martin" stamped all over it as well as the seal of approval of Paul and Ringo as well as the widows of George and John. If I like what I hear from it I may pick up a copy.

Nov 21, 2006 at 4:18 PM Post #3 of 84
To me, there are the good changes to a classic, like when Peter Jackson did the extended versions of the Lord of the The Rings, and then there are the horrifying changes, like what George Lucas did to Star Wars. To me, this new Beatles album is of the good variety.

Nov 21, 2006 at 5:00 PM Post #4 of 84
Both of those examples are the original creators modifying the work.

This has nothing to do with the original creators, as half of them are dead. And they were the good ones.

Nov 21, 2006 at 5:03 PM Post #5 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltrane /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This has nothing to do with the original creators, as half of them are dead. And they were the good ones.

Maybe, but I consider George Martin just as essential to the Beatles as the rest of them. So in my mind, George Martin is one of the original creators.

Nov 21, 2006 at 5:12 PM Post #6 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltrane /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Are you saying that Paul didn't have much to do with creating some of the awesome catalogue that the Beatles created? I'm with you that John and George were very important too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by humanflyz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe, but I consider George Martin just as essential to the Beatles as the rest of them. So in my mind, George Martin is one of the original creators.

I would also agree that George Martin had a lot to do with it. How often have we heard an album by a good group of musicians that's ruined by a bad engineer? The engineer is very important to what's recorded in my view.

As for the album - I'll have to have a listen and see what it sounds like before I go out and get it.

Nov 21, 2006 at 9:55 PM Post #7 of 84
This album has two parts. 1; the remixing / sequencing. 2; the remastering / sonics.

Whatever you think of 1, 2 is absolutely incredible. This is one of the best-sounding CDs I've heard ever.

Nov 22, 2006 at 2:58 AM Post #8 of 84
Saw "Love" in Vegas. Was blown away. Was hoping to buy the CD right then, but it wasn't available yet. So I'm very happy it's being released! I find it to be absolutely incredible in regards to both aspects.

Nov 22, 2006 at 6:40 AM Post #9 of 84
Wow...I just listened to it (still am).

Here's the lowdown. This isn't just another album of their songs rearranged. They seem to be both remastered and remixed, so it's either gapless or bust here.

To top it of, the remastering has been done very nicely; everything seems to have its own seperate layer, and it's more...refined?

As for the remixing, you have very smooth things mixed in into the songs that we all thought we knew well enough. From mixing in live crowd sounds to extra guitar riffs to voices from their outtakes, this is simply amazing.

You guys should seriously check this CD out.

Nov 22, 2006 at 8:11 AM Post #10 of 84
Picked up the special edition yesterday and have been listening since. Really awesome remastering has been done...I especially love the treatment they gave "I Am the Walrus". Now I can't wait to hear the audio DVD in 5.1 surround.

Nov 22, 2006 at 5:00 PM Post #11 of 84
I will agree that their voices have never sounded better (George in particular).

The mix isn't awful, but a bit too cosmic for my taste.

Considering the depth of the catalog and all the out-takes, I think the mixing of this album was o.k. and not great. It could have been more seamless.

p.s.: The Beatles are not THE BEATLES without George Martin!

Nov 22, 2006 at 7:38 PM Post #12 of 84
Well a mate has picked up the CD and has just let me borrow it for a couple of hours while he's out at a meeting just round the corner from me. Only about 10 mins in but I'm already quite enjoying it, it's totally different to anything that I was expecting but it seems (so far anyway) to sound pretty good.

If I like it this much by the end of the album it'll be on my Christmas list (got no spare cash but I've got people wanting to know what I'd like - and unfortunately they won't get me things like new headphones/amps so I have to offer other things instead)

Nov 22, 2006 at 10:12 PM Post #13 of 84
Hey guys, just came back from Target.

FYI, both versions of the album are on sale at CC, BB, and Target until Sunday.

I ripped the DVD-A version, since I read on Amazon that the CD is approx. 6-7 decibels louder than the DVD version.

Sounds every bit like it was made yesterday. Best mastered (and remixed) CD I ever bought.

Nov 22, 2006 at 10:24 PM Post #14 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by AtheisticFreedom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I ripped the DVD-A version, since I read on Amazon that the CD is approx. 6-7 decibels louder than the DVD version.

Sounds every bit like it was made yesterday. Best mastered (and remixed) CD I ever bought.

Is it possible to rip DVD-A audio to MP3 format to play back on an iPod? I thought DVD-A audio would be the same as DVD (as in 5.1 48Khz sampling) which I wouldn't think MP3 format would handle would it? Or am I totally out of it in terms of what can be converted to be played portably?

Nov 22, 2006 at 10:41 PM Post #15 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by AtheisticFreedom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys, just came back from Target.

FYI, both versions of the album are on sale at CC, BB, and Target until Sunday.

Is the DVD-A multichannel or just higher res?

I'm really enjoying the redbook playback right now. I'll agree it's one of the better mastered CDs I've heard recently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back