Beard Papa's Grand Opening in San Francisco
May 12, 2006 at 7:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Chinchy

1000+ Head-Fier
Beard Papa's makes good cream puffs. Grand opening of their new store in San Francisco. How convenient for me!

I first had these Japanese confections in Taiwan. Large cream puffs, which they don't fill with cream until you order them. They're delicious, and lines are LONG in Taiwan. And now they're in San Francisco!

More info at:
http://www.muginohousa.com/

For those in the SF Bay Area:
Grand opening: Friday May 12.
Yerba Buena Lane Store
99 Yerba Buena Lane
San Francisco, CA 94103
(415) 978-9972

Much better than Krispy Kreme.

May 12, 2006 at 7:54 PM Post #2 of 16
awesome! the first time i had them was in tokyo and fell in love with them. i hope that they don't americanize them by making them too sugary. while i love the softness of krispy kreme donuts, i don't like how how i get over-sugared after eating two.

May 12, 2006 at 7:59 PM Post #3 of 16
We have two stores here in NYC, awesome cream puffs! I'm actually surprised that they landed here in NYC before SF. Now I'm totally craving them.

May 12, 2006 at 8:01 PM Post #4 of 16
According to the website, there're *4* stores in NY... Tee hee! more to eat.

May 12, 2006 at 8:04 PM Post #5 of 16
I don't see what all the hype is about, my dad said people wait in super long lines to get them here, but idk I tried them in Tokyo last year (No lines at all) and they were good but they weren't anything special.

May 12, 2006 at 8:08 PM Post #6 of 16
Yeah, they're very good but I wouldn't wait in line for them. Best time to consume them is within a hour after they're made. Currently there are two stores in Honolulu and both of them are quite busy.

May 12, 2006 at 8:51 PM Post #7 of 16
Google and Yahoo maps aren't showing it correctly - they're either showing Yerba Buena Ave in Diamond Heights (all residential) or YB Rd. on Treasure Island which is obviously wrong. Where's Yerba Buena Lane? I work right by Yerba Buena park in SOMA so I imagine it's close to me, I'd love to check this out.

EDIT: Found it http://www.beardpapasf.com/locations.htm

I was right, only three blocks away right by the park. Knew it had to be around there somewhere.

--Illah

May 12, 2006 at 10:05 PM Post #8 of 16
Yeah there's a walkway between 3rd and 4th street, across from the Yerba Buena garden. It's on Mission. Haha, I never knew the walkway had a name... But I knew it was coming because I walk past it walking to work. When I saw the signs saying "Beard Papa's coming soon" I was so shocked and happy...

May 12, 2006 at 10:18 PM Post #9 of 16
Their cream puffs are indeed divine, but their fondant au chocolat is even better. The cream puffs are best right after filling but the fondants can be kept in the refrigerator for up to a day and then heated in the microwave to produce a perfect desert that will astound yourself and your guests. Just sift a little powdered sugar on the top, and serve. And best of all, they are chocolate; really delicious, deep, dark chocolate. Yum!

more03.jpg

May 12, 2006 at 10:28 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889
I don't see what all the hype is about, my dad said people wait in super long lines to get them here, but idk I tried them in Tokyo last year (No lines at all) and they were good but they weren't anything special.

True, especially in Japan, where they have great French(ish) pastry shops on what seems like every corner. For me, Beard Papa goes into the "why bother" category. A cream-filled malasada from Leonards is hands down better. Mmmm....

May 12, 2006 at 11:07 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Illah
Google and Yahoo maps aren't showing it correctly - they're either showing Yerba Buena Ave in Diamond Heights (all residential) or YB Rd. on Treasure Island which is obviously wrong. Where's Yerba Buena Lane? I work right by Yerba Buena park in SOMA so I imagine it's close to me, I'd love to check this out.

EDIT: Found it http://www.beardpapasf.com/locations.htm

I was right, only three blocks away right by the park. Knew it had to be around there somewhere.

--Illah

I too was having trouble finding it on the maps. Thanks for the link.

May 13, 2006 at 3:04 AM Post #12 of 16
We have one at the shopping centre accross the road where I live.
But I think they are only selling the cream puffs at the moment.

I tried one the other day, AUS$2.5 each (*ouch - but it's cheaper if you buy more). It was good, but the cream was all over my face.
icon10.gif

May 13, 2006 at 8:58 AM Post #13 of 16
So I waited the requisite hour to get my limit of 6 cream puffs. Everything else on the menu was "Coming Soon". I'll definitely try the Fondant au Chocolat.

6 Cream Puffs: $10.00
Waiting in line for an hour: $7.50 (What's minimum wage again?)
Parking: $7.50
Watching my fiancee's face light up seeing the Beard Papa's yellow box while squealing "CREAM PUFF!!": Priceless.

I'll be back on Monday morning. The first 50 people in line to buy 12 cream puffs the first 5 days gets a free Beard Papa's thermos.

May 13, 2006 at 9:00 AM Post #14 of 16
It's not as crowded here, I didn't need to line in like crazy.
Unlike when we had our first Krispy Kreme open here in Sydney, the line was like 50m as if they were giving away money.
eek.gif

May 13, 2006 at 7:25 PM Post #15 of 16
i've never understood why people would waste so much time in taiwan lining up and waiting to buy stuff like this. i remember when mister donut first opened up there, people were waiting for up to 2hrs just to get a box. why? don't these people have something else better to do with their time?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back