Bay Area Meet: Impressions!
Jun 13, 2003 at 6:17 AM Post #76 of 80
Quote:

Originally posted by nately
Thank you, Pete, those are some of the nicest shots I've seen of a lot of that gear - hope you don't mind me keeping some!

If you want all the pics drop me a PM.

Jun 17, 2003 at 8:46 PM Post #77 of 80
Argh! Can't belive I missed the meet and I work in Sac!!!

Jun 18, 2003 at 12:34 AM Post #78 of 80
man, nic pics.

why wasn' the Melos on top of the Sony?

what's that bare amp with the tubes and the red caps? I remember seeing the website. more importantly, what did it sound like?

edit:
thanks, bobjew. I can see Pete's moniker in the top/down pic.

Peter,

the layout looks weird. if the pcb is top/bottom, why isn't the inputs on the left side? and the volume control between the two channels? does it make a difference if the volume control is on the inputs of the rca inputs instead of on the outputs of the amp stage? (if it's driven from a low voltage level, i would expect more noise. but as most dvd players are putting out 2.0v, i would think that you would get better sound by attentuating the input level.)

Jun 18, 2003 at 12:47 AM Post #79 of 80
wallijohn:

That was the Pete Millet/Headroom SS/Tube hybrid prototype from Headroom—thought it sounded great—really nice sweet and extended high end with a good detailed sounding bottom. Small too. Headroom may do a production run of these in about a year. I hope they do.

Jun 18, 2003 at 2:57 PM Post #80 of 80
Quote:

Originally posted by morsel
SACD Lover: I thought the beyerdynamic DT880 was too bright. I prefer my 17 year old DT990 (original 600 Ohm model) or Sennheiser HD600, which are very similar to the old DT990.

Reading this out loud even my husband's ears perk up. He had those old 990s - which I destroyed and replaced with the newer 990pros. He's since lost interest in headphones.
frown.gif
Though I do think the mind can make you remember things as sounding better than they did, he claims the new 990s don't sound as good. We were discussing a future system that we would _both_ enjoy, and your statement about the HD600s was of great interest to him.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back